I am a BlackBerry fan, and on my 3rd BB (8820, Bold 9000, now 9800) and have the 64GB PlayBook. If I could ask RIM one question it would be "Why did you put a 624 mhz processor and low resolution screen in what was supposed to be your flagship phone to compete with the iPhone and top Android phones?". It's not because the technology wasn't avaiable, the 1 Ghz chip and better screens were widely available and already on the market in other phones. So apparently to save a little money they underpowered the phone and put a behind-the-times screen in. I like my Torch and it works pretty well, but those decisions led to poor reviews and many people never even checked it out. Had RIM put a 1Ghz chip and a killer screen I truly think the phone would have gotten respectable reviews and done much better. Would iPhone users have jumped shp?No, but at least people upgrading to smartphones would have considered the Torch. I basically feel like RIM disprespected its loyal customers by figuring we'd stick with them so no need to be state of the art. Yes, I knew the specs and bought it of my own free will, but it just sucks I'd have to upgrade to the 9810 just to play a youtube video without stalling when RIM could have released the original Torch with competitive hardware. I think another CrackBerry user had a good idea, let 9800 users turn there 9800 in for a $100 credit towards the 9810 with a 2 year contract. They'd lock us in for 2 more years and generate some goodwill for those of us that think RIM missed the boat with the specs on the 9800.

And yes, I can't wait to demo the 9810 in person!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Xerxes10; 07-21-11 at 10:06 AM.
    07-21-11 09:20 AM
    Battery life.

I had an Samsung Galaxy S Android phone for a month. The battery life on most Android phones is horrible compared to the Torch.
    I've never considered any Blackberry to be an iPhone or Android competitor.
    07-21-11 04:17 PM
    This all sounds very familiar.

Oh yeah, that's right. That's what everyone said almost a year ago when this thing first came out.

If you recall, this was first developed two years prior to its release. That was when the specs were laid out (not too shabby back in '08). Of course we now know how RIM was famously ignoring the spec war trend during that development period and just merrily stayed the course through to its release.

I'm okay with the screen resolution. As far as youtube videos are concerned, when I'm on wifi, even hi-rez videos play fine. Never have seen it stall. Over the mobile network is a different story. But that's a difference in how the data comes in - not a function of the processor.

07-21-11 04:41 PM
    The Torch is RIM's biggest failure IMHO
    Seriously?? the 9800 is very solid device! The storm now thats a different story
    07-21-11 05:34 PM
    Seriously?? the 9800 is very solid device! The storm now thats a different story
    I agree, I actually like the Torch, just need the Torch 2 specs. While I've never used a Storm it seems kike that was RIM's biggest strategic misstep.

07-21-11 10:04 PM
    From everything I've read, RIM has their own internal roadmap as far as devices and specs are concerned. Android came along and some of the device manufactuers started the arms race and made other guys up their game, while RIM stubbornly stuck to their roadmap.

I think it was reported here that they were trying to squeeze out one more generation of devices (the upcoming 2011 models) with the old Marvell chips clocked up to 800mhz. The decision was later made to switch over to the Qualcomm 1.2ghz Snapdragons (thank God).
    07-21-11 10:06 PM
    I loved my 9550, it just didn't have a solid OS to run it. Like building a sports car than only putting a little 60hp 4 cylinder engine in it.

But very happy with my Torch, not sure if I could go with out the hard keyboard and go back to full touch screen.
    07-22-11 06:51 AM
    From everything I've read, RIM has their own internal roadmap as far as devices and specs are concerned. Android came along and some of the device manufactuers started the arms race and made other guys up their game, while RIM stubbornly stuck to their roadmap.

I think it was reported here that they were trying to squeeze out one more generation of devices (the upcoming 2011 models) with the old Marvell chips clocked up to 800mhz. The decision was later made to switch over to the Qualcomm 1.2ghz Snapdragons (thank God).
    Amen to that (1.2ghz Snapdragons)! If RIM didn't make that switch it would be all over, even with it they've dug themselves into quite a hole.

07-22-11 08:36 PM
    torch is not so perfect, 9800 is relatively better than torch...
    07-24-11 10:29 PM

step away from the crack pipe...
    homer1475 and laollis like this.
    07-24-11 11:06 PM
    9800 is the Torch...how could one be better than the other?

07-24-11 11:13 PM
    to be honest, my Torch seems likely to be the last BB I bought
    if anything, I would only change to the most primitive BB just to have BBM to my colleagues.

listen guys, whatsapp seems transmiting message faster than BBM in Indonesia
    iphone now use imessage, which looks promising
    android has various high-end handset to offer

now, I have to betray BB, not because I'm not a LOYAL customer, but I fed up already to their product release strategy..
    and I'm sure once they release the "future" BB, it's already outdated by the competitors.

JP
    07-25-11 03:21 AM
    I came to BB just a few years ago with the Bold and it changed my working life...

And then was desperate to get the Torch. Its keyboard is compromised compared to the 9000 (no shock) but it does everything that I need for a business phone...

Sure my colleague's iPhone has apps that I lust after and has a liquid-sleek interface and great screen, but my Torch hangs on to calls when his phone continually drops and my mails come in and go sweetly. Plus I have smart wi-fi which is invaluable and Telmap sat-nav which beat his separate tom-tom when we were heading through central Spain recently.

A faster processor would be good, but then we say that all the time about computers which are obsolete almost as soon as they are released...

As a work phone it is fine for me; as an entertainment centre it is easily bettered. But mine is primarily a working tool. And it works just fine.
    randall2580 likes this.
    07-25-11 04:48 AM
    I really think all these discussions are non-issues...
    If you want to be "hip" and want 855 fart apps you buy Iphone
    If you want to be "experimental" you buy Android
    If you want to have a super "messaging" phone you buy BB
    So decide what kind a person you are and make your decision

All of them have cons and pro's it's really just up to what you think is the most important.
    BB is not "hip" enough and the hardware isn't good enough (strange because it is doing fine with me for what it was build for)
    With Apple you have to either wrap your hands around the phone a certain way because you will lose your connection and the batt. sucks.
    With Android you're constantly rebooting you phone because an app locked up your phone when you were trying a "new" thing you found on the net and the batt. life sucks.

For me, a phone is a thing used for communication, so I chose BB.

I am reading all kinds of posts telling me that they can't play games or watch a movie, but really, you really want to play your favorite game or watch a movie on a couple of inches of screen? I don't get it...do these things at home or on a tablet/notebook if you have to and use your device for what it was made, communication...
    erwaso and dadzy911 like this.
    07-25-11 06:53 AM
    I agree about video performance being an oxymoron on a handheld. It would be nice to be able to use the internet in a pinch though. I rarely even try and when I do it's a crap shoot. iPhones and most android devices are so much better at internet it's not even a contest. Sites that will lock up a BB run smoothly on the iPhone, and Android does flash sites.
    07-25-11 10:39 AM
    I agree, quickly check something on the internet should be possible on all phones available in 2011...point made, but really ***** about hardware because you don't have a quad core processor and 12 gigs of RAM to browse the internet, e-mail, sent a sms and make a phone call is seriously crazy I think...where does it end?
    Its not realistic to think that you can put EVERY need a person has into 1 device AND keep it portable...
    There is a device for everything by now, use devices for what they are designed for and don't try to create hybrids, it is always going to be disappointing (your used to the performance that you get from the device that was designed to do the particular task)

Just my 2 cents of course...
    07-25-11 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD