I went to buy a Torch at a local Bestbuy to unlock and they refused to sell it to me because I wouldn't get an AT&T contract or upgrading a present contract. I showed the women the sign that says without contract price but she said that was a mistake. Anyone else experiance this in other states?

I did get my phone at a PA Bestbuy with no problems.
    08-23-10 03:29 PM
    I went to buy a Torch at a local Bestbuy to unlock and they refused to sell it to me because I wouldn't get an AT&T contract or upgrading a present contract. I showed the women the sign that says without contract price but she said that was a mistake. Anyone else experiance this in other states?

She made the mistake. She obviously didn't know what she was talking about. Why didn't you ask to speak with management? If it "was a mistake", then the signs should have been removed or a sign posted about the discrepancy.
    08-23-10 04:02 PM
    I got mine in Best Buy Atlanta with no issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 04:25 PM
    me too, I went to bestbuy.com and ordered it for local in store pickup. Was in and out in 10 mins for $499. Didn't ask me anything..
    08-23-10 06:16 PM
    I work at best buy, the person you were dealing with was probably just a ******.. sometimes people do stupid stuff because they want toe money they get from new contract / renewal. ive seen stores say they wont take a return that was purchased from another store because they will take the hit on that return lol... some people are just buttheads
    08-23-10 07:02 PM
    In the Chicagoland area AT&T corporate stores are doing 1 phone per customer if you are buying without a plan. They also want a ATT phone number to tie the phone to.
    Non corporate stores (Authorized retailers) are selling the Torch w/o a plan for $599.00, as do a lot of online retailers.
    I think it is up to the discretion of the individual store whether or no they choose to sell the phone without a plan.
    I have noticed that all phones have a big "$35 restocking fee" on them.
    08-26-10 10:35 AM
    Management has the right to not sell a device off contract if they deem it a bad business decision. Reps already don't make SQUAT on selling the Torch, why make it worse?
    08-26-10 10:45 AM
    Really? Do you think the consumer cares what the REP makes? If it's not enough get another job.

Management has the right to not sell a device off contract if they deem it a bad business decision. Reps already don't make SQUAT on selling the Torch, why make it worse?
    08-26-10 11:37 AM
    I guess all of us reps could just quit and not sell you anything. That was probably the stupidest statement I've ever heard.

I care what I make, it's myself that I'm trying to feed.

Moron.
    08-26-10 11:49 AM
    Of course you care what you make, thats not at issue but you stated this "Reps already don't make SQUAT on selling the Torch, why make it worse?". Well, the consumer could care less, you're there to sell phones and we could care less whether it's "worse" Thats between you and your employer. If I could get you more commission I would!. You're in a service industry, maybe you should act like it.

I guess all of us reps could just quit and not sell you anything. That was probably the stupidest statement I've ever heard.

I care what I make, it's myself that I'm trying to feed.

Moron.
    Last edited by xandermac; 08-26-10 at 12:00 PM.
    08-26-10 11:57 AM
    am sure you do care what you make. You made the call to sell cell phones if it is the company policy to sell them off contract, then you sell them and stop your ********, or move on to something else.
    08-26-10 12:04 PM
    Well if you have a big sign in your window saying that the price is $xxxx without contract, and then an employee refuses to sell you the phone as stated on the sign, and instead forces you to buy a contract, I would say that it stinks of bait and switch. If the customer actually cared enough, he might be able to make a bid deal out of it. Then again, most customers would laugh at the rep and go to another store, and post their story here.

08-26-10 12:12 PM
    I don't sell phones, but I am a retail manager. In a situation like that it pays to call corporate (a HUNDRED) times, and usually they apologize and send you free stuff to appease you, even if you're a complete dirt head and in the wrong...

But yeah, usually going to a competitor will do the trick. Remember: people tell their bad experience to 3 times more people than their good.

I agree with the statement, if you're in the service industry, act like it!
    Last edited by elmorro; 08-26-10 at 01:20 PM.
    08-26-10 01:17 PM
    OK I am a Best Buy Mobile LEAD. The best buy policy on this sort of thing is to sell the device w/o contract and limit it to one device per customer. Some stores have issues with resellers purchasing all of there stock and then the company cant make any money on those devices. BBY doesn't make much when they sell a phone w/o contract. however best buy mobile is there for our customers. regardless of there request we should do our best to deliver. Obviously we have to keep smart business practices and policy in mind but there really is no reason not to sell one device to any customer w/o contract. my store does it all the time. If the employee followed the BBYM process (which it seems they have lost sight of) then they may have made a different decision. Next time (and any time) you have an issue with a BBYM store (stand alone or store in a store) simply ask for the Best Buy Mobile Mgr. this part is important. not just any Mgr can help you in this case. Best Buy Mobile is very different from reg. Best Buy. there policy's are VERY different and usually only the Best Buy Mobile Mgr. and sometimes the General Mgr. are aware of these differences. Most of the time no other AM has been empowered to make these decisions. so polity ask a BBYM employee for there Mgr or the GM. if Neither are available WAIT!!! i cant stress this enough. if you force a decision out of a mgr who doesn't know you might not get the outcome you want. ask for the BBYM Mgr info and call or email them. Most are happy to get back to you and help you out. it's only in there best interest to help you out and make a customer for life. this is just my humble opinion and i hope you will give BBYM another shot. Pls email me or reply to this post with any questions.
    08-26-10 01:49 PM
    Of course you care what you make, thats not at issue but you stated this "Reps already don't make SQUAT on selling the Torch, why make it worse?". Well, the consumer could care less, you're there to sell phones and we could care less whether it's "worse" Thats between you and your employer. If I could get you more commission I would!. You're in a service industry, maybe you should act like it.
    If I can sell the phone to someone else and make more money, I'd rather do that. So I reserve the right to not sell the device if I choose not to.

My paycheck is rather important to me, so if I can make more with what I have i'll do so.
    08-26-10 02:13 PM
    If I can sell the phone to someone else and make more money, I'd rather do that. So I reserve the right to not sell the device if I choose not to.

My paycheck is rather important to me, so if I can make more with what I have i'll do so.
    So you guys only get commision from the phones or like an hourly wage? I don't understand how it works. In the end I do agree that treating people with respect will get you along further or not. I work retail too and making sure the customer has an enjoyable shopping experience is part of the job. In fact one bad comment from a customer, even if that customer is a lying fool, results in disciplinary action against me and goes into my file. Since prices are pretty much as low as can be to get a decent profit from and people are spending less money on frivolous things, my company feels that providing the best customer service is a way to one up the competition.

08-26-10 02:24 PM
    If its like that go online and when you get it show it her face with the receit like ha in your face lol na but seriously check online

08-26-10 02:26 PM
    We make either comission or minimum wage.
    08-26-10 02:36 PM
    We make either comission or minimum wage.
    That does suck and feel for ya guys. I hate knowing where I work that I do the majority of the work and do all the customer interaction for someone else to make ten times me above my position. But such is the way everywhere.

08-26-10 03:10 PM
    BTW BBY employees are non commission. One phone sold w/o contract wont make a difference.
    08-26-10 03:32 PM

This is what is wrong with Retail Sales. Your job is not to make policy as a salesman but to follow said policy.
    08-26-10 04:05 PM
    This is what is wrong with Retail Sales. Your job is not to make policy as a salesman but to follow said policy.
    My job is to make as much money as possible for the company.
    08-26-10 04:26 PM
    My job is to make as much money as possible for the company.
    It is sad that companies show little care about morals, but in the end when job cuts come around, by doing what's best for the company doesn't usually put you on the chopping block.

08-26-10 04:47 PM
    Welcome to Corporate America..
    it's unfair.. always have been.
    CEO lay off people but never stop giving themselves bonuses..

and

We put our lives on the line while politicians argue with policies..
    kinda sucks no?
    08-26-10 06:19 PM

Grow a pair and ask for a manager next time j/k

I've never had a good experience at a Best Buy - just in case he|| froze over and people decided to line up on release day for the Torch I went in to do a 'pre-order'. The girl that was doing the paper work was telling me how the Torch has the first 4G Blackberry and was factory unlocked...
    Last edited by lucky45; 08-27-10 at 02:34 AM.
    08-27-10 02:25 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD