Folks

I'm moving to Sydney for two years, and I want to take my unlocked Torch to get a BB plan there. Which carrier / plan would you suggest? Unlimited / over 2 Gb of data desirable, lots of domestic phone call minutes, could be with overseas calls included but not mandatory.

Best Regards

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 02:12 AM
    C'mon mates! Anyone?

05-18-11 03:18 PM
    Telstra or Optus
    05-22-11 04:27 AM
    I'm using '3', and I'm on the month-by-month $35 plan.
    For BB users, we get unlimited data for browsing through the BB browser, plus 500mb for any other usage.
    You also get $350 credit for use in text or calls, and unlimited calls to other '3' or Vodafone users.
    Its a pretty sweet deal I think.
    05-22-11 08:08 AM
    I'm using '3', and I'm on the month-by-month $35 plan.
    For BB users, we get unlimited data for browsing through the BB browser, plus 500mb for any other usage.
    You also get $350 credit for use in text or calls, and unlimited calls to other '3' or Vodafone users.
    Its a pretty sweet deal I think.
    That sounds like a good plan... Is it possible to have such plan together with a voice plan of +/- 500 minutes?

@paganborn Which plans en Telstra or Optus would you suggest?

TIA

05-22-11 04:13 PM
    That actually depends on your budget..
    Cos for $35 I'm pretty satisfied with the credit given.
    But if you're looking for even more credit, you could get the $55 plan, which is the same thing, but with $550 credit per month, unlimited BB browsing, and 1gb of data for others.
    05-22-11 06:34 PM
    I just moved here in Sydney from California last month. I signed up with Optus. I'm on the month-by-month $49 plan. (unlimited BB browsing, 500mb data, unlimited facebook, eBay etc... yep their plan systems are very confusing...) so far so good. Optus 3g seems a little slower than AT&T but I could be wrong. Getting an account was hard, credit check, my work visa, bank account etc... I was able to get an account but had to go to the Optus store 4TIMES!!!
    Last edited by geishastarr; 05-23-11 at 12:29 AM.
    05-23-11 12:23 AM
    Also just moved to Sydney (From Alberta)
    Do not go with any prepay no of them have blackberry Prepay (Althou 3 might start and Optus technically can)

I went with Vodafone as well $35 Unlimited BB Data(facebook ebay etc) and 500mb other? data. Call long distance at least 30min-1hr a month and no extra charges so far.
    Also haven't been charged extra to tether either
    05-23-11 12:52 AM
    Just a side note, '3' and vodafone are merged, so their plans should be the same
    05-23-11 06:14 AM
    Thanks guys! I get the idea... Probably will start with a $35 plan from either "3" or Optus and see how it goes...

What things do they ask to take a plan besides the obvious (bank account, visa, etc)?

TIA

05-23-11 01:05 PM
    Also just moved to Sydney (From Alberta)
    Do not go with any prepay no of them have blackberry Prepay (Althou 3 might start and Optus technically can)

I went with Vodafone as well $35 Unlimited BB Data(facebook ebay etc) and 500mb other? data. Call long distance at least 30min-1hr a month and no extra charges so far.
    Also haven't been charged extra to tether either
    "Other Data" probably means video streraming, Youtube, etc. (Data that goes through the carrier's APN instead of the Blackberry APN...

05-23-11 01:08 PM
    Optus Prepaid = you have to buy a blackberry phone (locked) with prepaid sim (package). But I really needed to have a phone, so I bought an Optus prepaid SIM ($2) but I was only able to make calls and text, then 3weeks later, I switched to month to month postpaid plan.

They asked my passport, visa, ATM card, photo card, bank statement with name and current mailing address PLUS the statement has to show at least 10 transactions.
    05-24-11 01:35 AM
    One small trick to be careful of, is carriers here only allow internet data that is consumed using the default browser in the cap. If you download another browser, the data charges will be ON TOP of your cap and can run into many hundreds of dollars. Stick with the default browser and you should be cool.

As a quick summary of the main carriers here:

Telstra: ex government owned. Great network. Expensive. Absolutely terrible customer service.
    Optus: Owned by SingTel (Singaporean Gov't). Less great network. Best plans and allowances. Ordinary service.
    Vodafone: Part of the worldwide group. Shockingly bad network. Good plans and allowances. Good customer service.

Choose your poison.
    Last edited by kevinnugent; 05-24-11 at 03:29 AM.
    05-24-11 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD