Just got a new Torch from AT&T. I have BB Desktop 6.0 loaded on XP. The phone came with a CD titled BB User Tools. I loaded it on my PC. When I connect the phone to the PC in 'USB drive mode' I get 2 screen pops corresponding to drives D and E asking me how I want to read the device.

I figured out that the drive D request is looking at the 4GB SD card that came with the phone and the drive E request is looking at the phone's SIM.
    Using Windows Explorer I can also see that drive D is called "BB User Tools". This would explain why one of options on the drive D request has the BB logo.

If I select the BBUT app to read the device, it doesn't load properly. I can't find any documentation about how it's supposed to work. I can still access the info on the SD card via Explorer, so what's up with this BBUT? If I swap out the SD, will I have to run the BBUT disk that came with the phone?

btw... AT&T is clueless about this. They suggested I re-start my PC.
    10-05-10 12:36 PM
    The E drive is not your SIM, it's the removable MicroSD card.

I think I deleted the BB User Tools or reformatted the drive or something - what exactly are you trying to do? Once you plug your phone in as a USB Drive you run Desktop Manager 6.0 from your computer and it will connect automatically.
    10-05-10 12:58 PM
    One java your SD and the other is internal memory.
    10-05-10 01:00 PM
    Now that you mention it, the properties for both drive D and E both indicate a 4GB removable drive. Does that mean the screen pops both point to the SIM?

The issue is that whether I start BB Desktop first and then connect the phone or connect the phone b4 I start BBD, I will still get the 2 screen pops. I can X-out of them and use BBD or examine the files with Explorer but I'm puzzled about 2 things:

(1) the screen pops are probably just a Windows thing because I just connected some new hardware. True?

(2) If I choose to read the device using BBUT, the BBUT app launches but then fails and I have to X-out. I'm reading about similar experiences by others going back a few years. So what is BBUT? Was it a mistake to load it on my PC?
    10-05-10 02:08 PM
    Nothing on the computer points to the SIM.

Out of the box the Torch comes with 4GB of internal storage AND a 4GB removable MicroSD card. They both show up as different drives in the computer.

1) Yes - Windows recognizes your Torch as two different USB Drives. This is normal and fine.

2) Again, just plug in your phone - wait for the drives to pop up - then open Desktop Manager 6.0 and it will connect. You can open it first and then plug in the phone too - it doesn't matter.

I honestly don't know what the BB User Tools is. I'm not sure what you're trying to do so I don't know if you need anything other than Desktop Manager 6.0 but I doubt it...
    10-05-10 02:23 PM
    Thanks for your help. All I'm trying to do is connect and synch my phone to my PC in a normal fashion. I've used a Treo smartphone and Palm desktop going all the way back to Treo600. Later I started synching with Outlook. The connection was very straightforward and I've never had any issues.

My New BB Torch came with a CD labeled BB User Tools. This is BB software. No one seems to know what it's for, but lots of people has expressed the same problem: it doesn't work. Fine. I'll simply X-out every time I get the screen pop. However, when I examine the device folders with Explorer (say I want to xfr some files from PC), the listing shows 2 drives. One of them is called: BB User Tools. Why would Explorer see 2 drives? And why is one called BB User Tools?
    10-06-10 02:56 PM
    Explorer sees two drives because you have two drives attached - the first is the 4GB on-board storage that is built into every Torch The second is the microSD card that is in the Torch, which can be popped out and replaced with a 16GB one for about $30 these days.

As for the user tools - no idea. But why not simply sync over the air? If you're trying to copy music or media, you want the desktop manager. Assuming you're running a Win PC since you reference Explorer, check here for the downloads.
    10-06-10 03:05 PM
    Thanks, raremage. I misspoke when I said Explorer is looking at the SIM. In any event, is there a way to tell the 2 storage media apart?
    10-07-10 04:25 PM
    In any event, is there a way to tell the 2 storage media apart?
    Rename one or both of them. Using XP, connect your BB and let it be recognized. Go to My Computer and you will see a Devices With Removable Storage section, normally D & E. Right click one, choose Properties and under the General tab, type in the open space what you want to.... indicating whether it is holding the device memory or just as a storage unit. You can tell which is which by opening each and seeing what they contain. I call mine D's 8gb, the other 4gb "BlackBerry".
    Last edited by BB2XS; 10-07-10 at 07:29 PM.
    10-07-10 07:25 PM
    I think there is some confusion over the OP's question and what he is trying to do. Before I dive in, let me state that I also have no idea about BB Utils. I don't think it is germane to the question, though there may be some issue now that it is installed, difficult to say since no one seems to know what it is or does.

First, the question about the drives - all the answers are correct except the SIM Card response. Windows will see two drives, one is the internal memory of the phone, the other is the microSD card. However, none of that has any bearing on setting up the Torch with Outlook or syncing data.

Second point is that all of this syncing and pairing up with Outlook is initially done either through the email setup wizard or through Desktop Manager. The only role the microSD card plays in this is that you can choose to use it to store pictures, videos, or music rather than the internal memory.

So here is my tip, start up Desktop Manager. Once up, plug your phone into a USB port. You should see a message pop up on the Blackberry asking you what you would like to do. I always choose the top option USB Drive. After a few seconds Desktop Manager should see the Torch is connected and if it is the first time, it will ask you what you would like to do. Read the prompts and select the choice that fits.
    10-07-10 09:45 PM
    I will make it simple, I think the utility drive is your cd that has DM on it. As for the other 2 pop up windows, if you are not transfering pictures, etc. Just close them, you won't need them.
    One is your internal memory and one is your sd card. if you open them up they will both have folders(blackberry and home) if you go further open up blackberry, if it has a subfolder with app-world in it, that is your internal memory. The other is the sd card

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 10:47 PM
    Kwkid... here's the routine: I start up BBDM. It loads. I connect my Torch and put it in USB drive mode. I'm with you up to this point. But then I get 2 add'l Windows screen pops.

#1 identifies Blackberry User Tools - D:
    It mentions that "The disk or device contains more than one kind of content."
    #2 indentifies BLACKBERRY1 - E:
    It indicates that there are pictures on the device.

They both ask me "What do you want Windows to do?

#1 actually has an option with the BB logo called:
    "BB Getting Started using the program provided on the device."

Question: Why am I getting these 2 pops? You're not getting them.

Finally... The phone actually comes with a CD entitled "BB User Tools". One of the devices is actually identified as "BB User Tools (D)". This app won't run. If you search this actual website you'll find others with a similar post re BBUT. I can work around it, but I like to know as much as I can about my stuff. Why would BB package software that doesn't work and isn't documented? Right now, this is a mystery. But I'm not alone.
    10-08-10 01:24 AM
    You're getting the two popups exactly as you would had you put two different USB Flash Drives into your computer at the same time. It's no surprise. You can change the way Windows handles it by changing autoplay settings in the control panel/default programs of Windows 7.
    10-08-10 07:37 AM
    You made me curious so I got out that little mini BB User Tools CD and popped it in my computer - it appears it's basically just user docs and an installation link for BB Desktop Manager. It doesn't even include BB DM - just a download link to blackberry.com.

Bottom line - you don't need it and don't need to worry about it!

See attached.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    10-08-10 09:31 AM
    Kwkid... here's the routine: I start up BBDM. It loads. I connect my Torch and put it in USB drive mode. I'm with you up to this point. But then I get 2 add'l Windows screen pops.

#1 identifies Blackberry User Tools - D:
    It mentions that "The disk or device contains more than one kind of content."
    #2 indentifies BLACKBERRY1 - E:
    It indicates that there are pictures on the device.

They both ask me "What do you want Windows to do?

#1 actually has an option with the BB logo called:
    "BB Getting Started using the program provided on the device."

Question: Why am I getting these 2 pops? You're not getting them.

Finally... The phone actually comes with a CD entitled "BB User Tools". One of the devices is actually identified as "BB User Tools (D)". This app won't run. If you search this actual website you'll find others with a similar post re BBUT. I can work around it, but I like to know as much as I can about my stuff. Why would BB package software that doesn't work and isn't documented? Right now, this is a mystery. But I'm not alone.
    I get both.

The first one is the internal memory of the phone and the second one is the micro sd card. Two drives in the phone.

When it asks you on both what you want to do, click CANCEL on both.
    10-08-10 10:31 AM
    OK, frisco49ers. According to what you are saying, the memory device identified as BLACKBERRY1 - E: is the internal memory because it contains the sub-folder app_world. That means BB User Tools - D: is the 4GB SD card.

How would you go about changing to a bigger SD card w/o losing data? Thanks.
    10-08-10 10:38 AM
    You can go ahead and rename either drive in Windows to make it easier on yourself.

You can easily take out the MicroSD and rename the remaining drive that shows up in your computer to be sure.

If you have anything on your MicroSD card you can just copy all the data to Windows - then copy that to the new card.
    10-08-10 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD