Hey

I have been a blackberry user for the past 18 months using a S1 to a S2. My contract was up for renewal with VodafoneUK and i decided to go with an iPhone4. After using it for 2 months, its an aweome phone but for some reason i am missing my blackberry.

As im in contract with VodafoneUK for the next 16 months and stuck with a phone i dont really want, the only option is to sell my iPhone4 on eBay and buy a Blackberry Torch outright. I am visiting the States (FL) in 10 days time and i'm wondering if i can buy a Blackberry Torch unlocked and outright to use here in the UK.. is that possible? If so where is the cheapest place to buy from and how much?

The one thing i hated about my Storm1 & 2 was the browser, it was slow and tbh **** LOL. the iPhone browser is amazing everything loads so quick and in full screen, is the New OS6 and torch live up to this?

Thanks in advance
    10-21-10 04:43 PM
    Hey

I have been a blackberry user for the past 18 months using a S1 to a S2. My contract was up for renewal with VodafoneUK and i decided to go with an iPhone4. After using it for 2 months, its an aweome phone but for some reason i am missing my blackberry.

As im in contract with VodafoneUK for the next 16 months and stuck with a phone i dont really want, the only option is to sell my iPhone4 on eBay and buy a Blackberry Torch outright. I am visiting the States (FL) in 10 days time and i'm wondering if i can buy a Blackberry Torch unlocked and outright to use here in the UK.. is that possible? If so where is the cheapest place to buy from and how much?

The one thing i hated about my Storm1 & 2 was the browser, it was slow and tbh **** LOL. the iPhone browser is amazing everything loads so quick and in full screen, is the New OS6 and torch live up to this?

Thanks in advance
    Is the browser as good as the iPHone4? No. I'd say it's more in line to the iPhone 3G (from what i've read). Is it comparable? Somewhat..but it is hands and fists better than the Storm 1 (never used S2 so can't compare). My wife has the iP4 and sitting side by side..her's does load pages slightly quicker, and render things slightly quicker, but to the average joe..probably not enough to make a difference. Obviously the display on the iP4 is better, but again the Torch is no slouch, and is MUCH improved over the S1's display (and good enough that my wife didn't even know one was "technically" better than the other). If these points are important to you..then you're probably not gonna like the Torch. However, if customizing, productivity, physical keyboard and an all around good PHONE are what you're seeking..then this should fill your wants very nicely (not to mention it's WAY sexier than the iPhone imo).

It's important to remember as well that the initial released Torch had .141 running on it which was sub-par and where most of the bad reviews came from. The latest release .246 has improved the phone greatly..so things can only get better as far as I'm concerned.
    10-21-10 05:51 PM
    Rickroller is spot on. My wife also has the i4, so I spend too much time comparing. To me it comes down to a simple question - do you spend more time messaging or browsing? BB for the first, i4 for the 2nd. My BB batt life blows away her phone, hers is overall a little smoother. These and many other tradeoffs either way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-21-10 06:22 PM
    Sorry but IMO the Torch is not close to the same browsing experience as the iPhone 4. Pinch to zoom and double tapping is so much faster on the iPhone as it focuses instantly. Pages rendered so much faster on the i4. The screen alone also makes it so much better. Yes the Torch browser is decent But not on the same playing field. Since I have jailbroke my i4 there is absolutely no looking back. I would never go back to the BB Torch. Try the torch in the store and see what works for you though.
    10-21-10 06:52 PM
    Sorry but IMO the Torch is not close to the same browsing experience as the iPhone 4. Pinch to zoom and double tapping is so much faster on the iPhone as it focuses instantly. Pages rendered so much faster on the i4. The screen alone also makes it so much better. Yes the Torch browser is decent But not on the same playing field. Since I have jailbroke my i4 there is absolutely no looking back. I would never go back to the BB Torch. Try the torch in the store and see what works for you though.
    Sorry, that is misleading...I have had the iphone4 and it is only MARGINALLY faster than the Torch in terms of loading, focusing and rendering and not much faster as you stated! Email is hit and miss unless you are using Gmail or Exchange server. Battery life is not as good as the Torch and reception is definitely nowhere near as good as the Torch. The only thing I find is better is the screen.
    10-21-10 07:31 PM
    Exactly. Everyone has their opinions. Marginally faster is very misleading imo. Only with Wireless N the Torch could keep up with the i4. 3G the i4 killed the Torch. My email is perfect with Rogers. Instant Push. I had almost 2 hours extra battery life with my i4 compared to the Torch. More talk time for sure on the i4. Too much comparing anyways. The Torch is long gone now and I honestly don't miss a thing. The iPhone 4 is an amazing device. With a Jailbreak it makes it even more amazing. Everyone has different opinions and needs of a phone. Had a friend pick up a Torch 2 days ago and hated the thing. He brought it back the next day. Had another friend pick up a Torch and loved it even though it seems a little laggy when comparing it to how smooth my iphone is to it he says.
    10-21-10 08:21 PM
    One thing ive noticed about the torch is it has awesome reception. My favorite bar that I goto I have never had service, pearl, storm2, and even my buddies iP4 has no service, but my torch has 2 bars.
    10-21-10 08:52 PM
    Reception is better with the blackberries. period.
    i used to lose signal with the iphone everytime i go inside an elevator.. going down to sub basement levels.. call will just dropped.. 10 out of 10.
    but with a blackberry Curve ( work phone) or the Torch.. i can continue with my conversation without worrying that my call will be dropped.
    10-21-10 09:05 PM
    Berries have secured messaging and multi-tasking the i4 wishes it had. I acknowledge that the retinal display is nice and the processor is fast. As long as the image is crisp and clear, the page-loading is reasonably fast and the messaging is secure with improved multi-tasking and great battery life then I don't need an iPod on steroids with a phone attached to it. Nothing good ever comes with an Apple...look at Adam.
    10-21-10 09:47 PM
    There are no stores in the States that sell 9800's unlocked. You can buy them from AT&T corp stores ($499+tax) and various authorized retailers ($ varies) and have it unlocked. I've heard rumors that some places won't sell, even at full retail, unless the buyer has an AT&T account. Have the ebay prices not dropped yet?

10-21-10 09:54 PM
    Security on a berry is sweet, with my password and encryption, no one will ever get my info or contacts
    10-21-10 09:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys

eBay prices are aroune �300-�350 which i could sell my iPhone4 for so i dont loose out. I went to check out a Torch today and I really liked it One thing i do have to ask is, is the email viewing been improved as in full HTML email or are emails still full of links only?
    10-22-10 09:09 AM
    I wouldn't say full HTML yet. Empower Pro does a good job of rendering emails in HTML.
    10-22-10 10:40 AM
    I wouldn't say full HTML yet. Empower Pro does a good job of rendering emails in HTML.
    I'd still say its about 10 times better than it used to be

To the OP: From what I hear, RIM implemented the webkit browser into the email, so HTML renders pretty well and I can zoom out to look at it desktop style. Text link style emails went away awhile ago, thank god. I can only speak to gmail as they are the only ones I get HTML emails with.

10-22-10 12:39 PM
    HTML renders well on the Torch, but it still truncates depending on the size. I have to go to the BB menu and choose Get Images on some of my HTML emails.
    10-22-10 01:43 PM
    Is the browser as good as the iPHone4? No. I'd say it's more in line to the iPhone 3G (from what i've read). Is it comparable? Somewhat..but it is hands and fists better than the Storm 1 (never used S2 so can't compare). My wife has the iP4 and sitting side by side..her's does load pages slightly quicker, and render things slightly quicker, but to the average joe..probably not enough to make a difference. Obviously the display on the iP4 is better, but again the Torch is no slouch, and is MUCH improved over the S1's display (and good enough that my wife didn't even know one was "technically" better than the other). If these points are important to you..then you're probably not gonna like the Torch. However, if customizing, productivity, physical keyboard and an all around good PHONE are what you're seeking..then this should fill your wants very nicely (not to mention it's WAY sexier than the iPhone imo).

It's important to remember as well that the initial released Torch had .141 running on it which was sub-par and where most of the bad reviews came from. The latest release .246 has improved the phone greatly..so things can only get better as far as I'm concerned.

To answer your questions to the first question I say yes. You can take it anywhere in the world is long as you have a sam card provider that has coverage in the area you're looking to use your. Cell phone service in and to your second question I would go with the American craigslist. Don't know if they have the same thing in the UK but here you can get a phone cheap using cast check or credit cards or paypal

10-22-10 02:04 PM
    HTML renders well on the Torch, but it still truncates depending on the size. I have to go to the BB menu and choose Get Images on some of my HTML emails.
    I've always wondered this about BBs but never bothered to ask before....is there a way around having large messages truncated and to allow them to be pushed through to the device's inbox?
    10-22-10 02:06 PM
    I've always wondered this about BBs but never bothered to ask before....is there a way around having large messages truncated and to allow them to be pushed through to the device's inbox?
    There's no way to change the default behaviour. It is still possible to read large messages though, as you scroll down and get towards the cut-off point your BB should be automatically fetching more. On my Bold sometimes there was a noticeable delay, on my Torch it's almost instant, can barely tell whether the entire message is there or it's fetching more. You shouldn't be experiencing a noticeable effect from message truncation.
    10-22-10 02:13 PM
    As taylortbb said, you can't force it, but it should fetch the rest of your message as you access it. It would be a nice option to choose, and I wish RIM would change that. Of course, truncation cuts down on data usage, so it's a trade-off.
    10-22-10 02:22 PM
    My problem stems more from back when I had a BB I would get e-mails with somewhat large attachments (25MB or so PDFs) and all I would get when I open the e-mail is Message Truncated Due to Size.

It never gave me the option to download the file....just blocked it outright. Was very surprised when I started test driving the i4 that it was pushing through those messages just fine for me.
    10-22-10 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD