BB Torch 9800 on Vodafone in the UK.

My connection to the internet has been very patchy for several months now. When trying to connect I frequently have to look at the screen saying 'Requesting........." until it finally gives up in disgust some minutes later.

The problem can occur even when I have 5 bars of 3G signal. Crucially, I think that it only happens when the BB Internet Service signal does NOT appear at the top of the screen.

On the advice of Vodafone I have taken the following steps:
    1. Replaced the sim card
    2. Had an update and new service books sent
    3. re-installed the latest OS. (Having downgraded and then re-upgraded)
    4. Replaced the handset!
    5. Re-registered the handset with BB.

So, I've got a new sim and a new handset, and still the problem continues.
    Any thoughts at all?

I'm beginning to think that the problem is me!

Thanks

James
    02-23-12 03:32 AM
    What OS do you currently have? I have the NewZeland v706 and it took care of a lot of issues your describe.
    02-23-12 05:28 AM
    I'm running version 6.0 Bundle 2949. Whatever that means!

How would I access and load a NZ version?
    02-23-12 05:36 AM
    I sent you a PM.
    02-23-12 05:51 AM
    I've been up for the last 20 hours. I'm going to sleep for a while and I'll try to catch up with you later.
    02-23-12 05:59 AM
    I have exactly the same problem. I'm on AT and T. After numerous posts and doing all kinds of stuff I'm convinced its an AT and T problem. I have 3G and all bars every time iy happens. I'm not sure if the blackberry symbol is missing when it happens though. I figure it has something to do with the network being busy or something. But I don't think its my phone. It used to work awesome. It will have the prob for weeks, then for weeks it will be fine, then it starts up again. Seems to work good for 5 min or so, then I get the dreaded "requsting" that lasts forever and by this time I know to just give up. I'd like to throw it sometimes but I don't; I just curse.
    02-23-12 07:51 PM
    When I was researching these boards about it, I came across a thread where a bunch of people had the same exact ptoblem, BUT it was on wifi. And if I remember correctly, they were having it with the Playbook. I don't know if that will add to the investigation or not.
    02-23-12 07:55 PM
    Well, AT&T has only released access to the v600 OS and I hated that OS. All issues stated here is what I went through. I now have v706 OS from New Zeland carrier and it rocks.
    02-23-12 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD