Howdy -- new Torch user here, though I've been using a BlackBerry for work since 2005. (The Torch was work-issued, believe it or not...) Two questions for the masses that I haven't been able to find using the search function:

1. I've seen references to "preparing a battery" if not using an OEM battery. What's the procedure?

2. Is there any way to override the ringtones from being sent to the headset? I've figured out a way to use my Torch hands-free in the car by hooking it up to the AUX in connector, but unless I'm actually listening to music using my Torch (i.e., I'm listening to a local radio station), I don't hear it when the phone rings.

Many thanks in advance...
    06-26-11 02:42 PM
    1 - just use the phone. no real prep for a li battery.

2 - not to my knowledge. most use bt to stream or take calls in the car vs an ipod type connection.
    06-27-11 01:13 AM
    The "prepping" a non OEM battery means it needs to have whatever it is in the OEM battery that makes it an OEM. This usually requires some sort of device that you put both battery's into to transfer some information(not exactly sure what gets transferred).

When using the AUX port the phone always uses its own speakers for calls, just the way it works. I haven't found a way to route the calls through the AUX port.
    06-27-11 06:04 AM
    To route the calls through the speakers, (1) you have to physically connect the Torch to the AUX port using a standard 3.5mm audio cable, and (2) after you've dialed the call (or answered it), hit the "headset" button on the screen. You use the built-in mike on the unit (there's no external mike); it's worked like a charm for me, it's just too bad I discovered this AFTER I ordered a MotorMouth II unit (which I can return). My problem is that I can't hear the phone ringing unless I'm listening to music on my Torch (through the AUX port) or unless I unhook the Torch from the AUX port.

Thanks re: battery info. I ordered an aftermarket extended battery, will have to see how to make it work if it doesn't work straight out of the box...
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; 06-27-11 at 06:24 AM.
    06-27-11 06:20 AM
    I knew about pressing the headset button, but it still uses its own speaker to ring, and you still have to press buttons on the phone. This still isn't "hands free" by any states hands free laws.
    06-27-11 07:02 AM
    Actually, I'm trying to get the phone to use its own speaker to ring -- right now, it's routing the ring tone through the headset jack, which means I can't hear the phone ringing unless I'm listening to music on my Torch.

Since I have to hit a button to answer the phone anyways, I don't mind hitting an additional button to route the call through the car's speakers. The sound clarity is quite good, and I can still keep both hands on the wheel while on on the call.
    06-27-11 05:20 PM
    1. I've seen references to "preparing a battery" if not using an OEM battery. What's the procedure? ...
    ( c & p )
    Instructions for programming your new battery:
    BlackBerry Torch batteries are encoded and need to be programmed before they will work in your phone. Follow the instructions below to quickly program the replacement battery.

* You will need your Torch 9800, the original battery, and the new replacement battery, in order to program the new battery.
    * Insert the new replacement battery into your Torch 9800 and power it on. You should get a battery icon on the screen with an "X" through it.
    * Next, remove the battery from the phone, without shutting it off, and insert both the new and the original batteries into their places on the mating connector.
    * The LED light in the center of the connector will flash for a few seconds. When it stops, the programming process is finished, and your new battery will work in your Torch 9800.
    06-27-11 08:46 PM
    Awesome, thanks. Three more questions for you.

1. Where can I find/get a mating connector?

2. Am assuming that in order to keep the Torch powered up, it needs to be plugged in during the whole process?

3. Will the old battery work after I've done this?

EDIT: disregard #1, I see it's for sale at various places...and I'm hoping the extended battery I ordered via Amazon will come with the mating connector.
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; 06-27-11 at 09:36 PM.
    06-27-11 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD