Torch obviously still has major issues yet to be addressed so I think Ill wait until they're ironed out.
    It's obviously not the device in general since plenty of us are getting incredible battery life out of it. I can't tell you why some have a problem and some don't but you can't blame the device in general since it's not a universal issue.
    10-08-10 06:22 PM
    Thanks erandhawa do you know of any good tutorials on how to go about a fresh install? Thanks!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 06:23 PM
    Yeah one bad app can literally halve your battery life, so imagine what multiples can do... Youmail auto checking does this, Vlingo is a reported huge issue also.

Some of the free wallpaper changes I've seen drain quite a bit more battery (ShaoSoft's CB one doesn't seem to cause large battery drain though).
    10-08-10 06:25 PM
    UPDATE: So.. I reloaded the os... I didnt use the one from my carrier, and it is .246, hopefully this works! No apps, no fb, nothing.
    UPDATE#2: This is ridiculous, 9:30 -> 55% (Using JUST BBM, no apps or email or texting), 9:35 -> 50% (same bbm, less usage.) Thats 1% a minute with practically no heavy usage, this is so displeasing.
    UPDATE#3:10:10 -> 50%... hmm... I hope it stays like ( at this point little to no usage)
    UPDATE#4: 45% (set alarm clock, chose some alarms)
    Last edited by BlakBairy; 10-08-10 at 09:26 PM.
    10-08-10 08:17 PM
    UPDATE: So.. I reloaded the os... I didnt use the one from my carrier, and it is .246, hopefully this works! No apps, no fb, nothing.
    UPDATE#2: This is ridiculous, 9:30 -> 55% (Using JUST BBM, no apps or email or texting), 9:35 -> 50% (same bbm, less usage.) Thats 1% a minute with practically no heavy usage, this is so displeasing.
    UPDATE#3:10:10 -> 50%... hmm... I hope it stays like ( at this point little to no usage)
    UPDATE#4: 45% (set alarm clock, chose some alarms)
    I think is time you did a swap. It has to be a hardware issue because I have been running mine since Aug 12 and I use about 100 min of voice, send and receive aprox 50 to 60 emails a day, light web usage and from 8am to 11pm my battery is still usually 40 to 50% full
    10-08-10 10:17 PM
    Could be a reception issue also.

What's your average dbm?

Also try disabling your APN settings and see if that makes a difference.

10-08-10 10:18 PM
    My average dbm is -70 and where and what is apn settings?

10-09-10 07:10 AM
    The thing is the phone is also under my grandmother's name so if no one is here to receive the package it goes to the post office and u need to prove that you are her. She doesn't live anywhere near me.

10-09-10 07:12 AM
    OK, just did tests on my 4th Torch, brand new, with 3 seperate fully charged batteries. Turned off wifi, put it on 2G, no GPS activated and RSS feeds shutdown. Didn't activate/download any apps other than deBattGym Monitor to monitor discharge. Had an hour long conversation and afterwards I had discharged 20%!!!! Changed batteries and browsed youtube through the OEM browser and after 30 minutes of browsing and perhaps 15 mins of actual streaming video I discharged 26%!!!! So now I tried the 3rd battery and opened up media and played music off my SD card for an hour. After an hour it discharged 17%!!! Now, this is my FOURTH Torch, I updated it .246 and the battery life is still terrible. How can this not be a device related issue??? Or am I just cursed to continually get ****ty Torches. They've come from several different manufacturers in Mexico, Mexico 5.

10-09-10 02:44 PM
    i have a question - the battery comes down quickly - but does it plateau ?

like at 65% or 50% hang there for a long time?

mine goes down quickly - but i know why. i have screen on 100% - wifi on when at work and im not on a wifi network - and i selected 3g only.

so i know why - oh and i use it like an iphone...constantly.
    10-09-10 02:53 PM
    i have a question - the battery comes down quickly - but does it plateau ?

like at 65% or 50% hang there for a long time?

mine goes down quickly - but i know why. i have screen on 100% - wifi on when at work and im not on a wifi network - and i selected 3g only.

so i know why - oh and i use it like an iphone...constantly.
    So in 5 minutes, my battery went down 5% and then it stayed at 80% for a bit and then went down and sometimes it might stay at something for a while... maybe i can put the battery in my pearl and see what it reads the level at? Is this bad to do?
    10-09-10 04:44 PM
    In comparison to my Bold 9000 my Bold 9700 the Bold 9700 battery rocked. My first full day with the Torch and the battery was down at 25% by 3.30pm after being taken off charge at 8.30am.

I guess that's the price for the larger screen
    10-09-10 06:03 PM
    In comparison to my Bold 9000 my Bold 9700 the Bold 9700 battery rocked. My first full day with the Torch and the battery was down at 25% by 3.30pm after being taken off charge at 8.30am.

I guess that's the price for the larger screen
    It feels good that someone else is going through the same thing as me. But I don't think the larger screen has much to do it with it. My friends' iphone 3gs gets 2 days of battery and BlackBerry is supposed to be the leader in smartphone in battery life.
    S M H.
    10-09-10 06:45 PM
    Also make sure programs that may try to use the GPS are off. My BlueTooth and WiFi are always on.

I was using the Google Latitude and that was nothing but horrorshow on the battery.

I was also experiencing poor battery due to downloading podcasts and having all the social and RSS feeds updating every 5 minutes (or their minimum) and retrieving the maximum number of items (30-100, depending on FB, Twitter, RSS, etc).

With Meterberry installed I see that my battery is draining around 1% per hour if idle. 3-6% if listening to stored music. 10%+ if using something streaming like a radio station on AirKast or Slacker.
    I am in the same boat. As per MeterBerry: around 1% when idle, 3-5% with heavy phone/BBM/email use (dont listen to too much music), and around 8-10% when using bluetooth ear piece and bluetooth is turned on.

I also miss the battery life on my 9700, but taking some of the suggestions mentioned in this tread will definitely help (Backlight, Auto Dim, GPS apps, RSS feeds).
    10-09-10 07:40 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD