My battery life was not that great to begin with. I was getting maybe a day and a half out of each charge and I am not what I would consider a heavy user. It's even worse now however at less than 24 hours which includes at night when it is in sleep mode.

I did everything everyone suggested from turning off the wi-fi, to changing the back light to 10%. Nothing worked and as mentioned, it got even worse.

I called Rogers last night and they are going to send me a brand new device. I was shocked. I said I probably just need a new battery but he said they don't send out batteries and since I've had my BB for less than a month (by just one day), it's still under warranty.

I hope this will solve the issue as I charged the battery yesterday before noon and it is now 7am the next day and I have barely any charge left even though it was sleeping while I was.
    12-01-10 06:09 AM
    I received my new Torch last week and the battery is definitely lasting longer. I'm getting over two full days.

Still not as good as my curve, which was getting over four but it's better than 12 hours.

I guess I just have to realize that the Torch uses up more battery power and I do more browsing and texting than I did on the curve so it stands to reason that it wont last quite as long.

I just have to make sure I have my charger with me if/when needed.
    12-12-10 09:00 AM
    Make sure to close apps that you are not using. Increase the refresh interval for apps that run in the background like BerryWeather os social media.

I have a car charger and an OEM charger at home and the office. I top off as often as possible when I am not using my Torch. Even when away from them for long periods of time, I have great battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 09:09 AM
    I just bought my Torch this weekend and am having the same issues. I used to have a Bold from work and I could go 3 days before needing a charge, even with corporate email exchange on all day.

With my Torch, I can barely make it through 6 hours with only light phone usage, checking emails and Facebook without any exchange email. It doesn't make sense.

I even have my screen brightness set to 10% and have all apps, Wi-Fi and BT turned off.
    Last edited by tgee67; 12-21-10 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo
    12-21-10 08:03 AM
    Same for me.. I barely make it 12 hours with really light use.

Going to go in and exchange it today for a white one because the screen is too shaky for me to be comfortable with now, and hope I don't get hit with any restock fees..
    12-21-10 08:32 AM
    I would check any open app's(press and hold the BB button). I'm a moderate to heavy user and can easily get 14+ hours out of my torch.

To be quite honest I don't know what people expect out of a BATTERY that has limited power. Do you get 2 to 3 days out of your laptop with constant use, or any device that requires a battery? Yes I know people say the bold, curve, or pearl get better battery life, but look at it this way. The torch's battery is smaller then those 3 in regards to mah(oversight on RIM's part?), and it also has nearly 3 times the screen real estate to power.

Just get into a habit of regular charging at night when you sleep(cant use it when your sleeping), and it should last your entire day.
    12-21-10 08:33 AM
    Homer1475 - I tried that as well, but still no improvement I understand the limitations of batteries, been designing notebooks for years. I was at least hoping for 8 hours, I can't even get through half a day right now.
    12-21-10 09:15 AM
    Came from Bold 9000, I use the same apps, except the browser: on Thorch I use the built in browser instead of OperaMini, because it's excellent (I always switch from 2g to 3g when I browse), battery life is about the same.

- back light: 0
    - except browsing I use 2g
    - apps running in background: BBM, WinLive Messenger
    - receive 30-50 emails/day, send 10-20 e-mails/day
    - social feeds not isntalled
    - facebook, twitter auto update turned off
    - 2-3 hours of phone calls
    - 15-30 minutes of 3g browsing

Battery lasts a day always, I take off from charger at 7:00, put back at midnight with 30-40%

In my experience battery suckers are:
    - 3g browsing (my carrier doesn't have EDGE, therefore I need it)
    - 3g phone calls in bad 3g coverage areas
    - if some apps stay in background (i.e. Chat for Facebook)
    12-21-10 09:51 AM
    Yo its the touch screen it uses more juice, I too was wondering the same thing I went down to the store and asked for a new battery. The guy who has the same phone has the same problem. So don't listen to anyone else's reply trust me its the touch screen that kills the battery. Oh listen to that one person who said lower the backlight to 20% as I have done the same to conserve energy.

12-21-10 09:59 AM
    Also im sure your aware batteries have "muscle memory" meaning if you put your battery on charge when its at 50% eventually the battery will "think" that's the zero% mark and hence only give half the charge capacity because it will "think" it empty when its actually not. So always, always let the battery drain all the way down, unless you want to buy batteries every 6 months.

12-21-10 10:05 AM
    i think you have a problem with the battery..
    i do more than what you posted and the longest i got for the torch was 58 hours ( 100% - 5%)
    on a really heavy use day.. i still have 40% at 11PM.
    People need to read up on lithium ion batteries. Never charge your battery below 30 %. When you first get the phone first thing you do is charge it. If u let an ion battery get too low there is the chance you will damage the cells.

12-21-10 10:29 AM
    Also im sure your aware batteries have "muscle memory" meaning if you put your battery on charge when its at 50% eventually the battery will "think" that's the zero% mark and hence only give half the charge capacity because it will "think" it empty when its actually not. So always, always let the battery drain all the way down, unless you want to buy batteries every 6 months.

Ok first off this post is totally false. Lithium batteries don't retain a "memory", this is what your referring to. Older batteries such as NiCad's(nickel cadmium) have this trait. Trust me on this one, Ive been using nicads, lithium ion, and now lithium polymer batteries for years in my hobby of r/c airplanes. Or you could just google it yourself.

People need to read up on lithium ion batteries. Never charge your battery below 30 %. When you first get the phone first thing you do is charge it. If u let an ion battery get too low there is the chance you will damage the cells.

On this post, your information is mostly correct. Your phone has a feature that does not allow the battery to drop below the safe charging level for lithium type batteries. The device shuts itself off when it reaches said level and does not allow the battery to be used until it has enough of a charge to power the device. There is no fear of "over" discharging your battery, you can use your phone right up until it shuts itself off.

As for the OP, I would say you have a defective battery(it happens sometimes with lithium batteries). Take it back to where you bought it. If you cannot get more then 6 hours of use from any BB, the battery has to be an issue if all the necessary steps to preserve battery life have been followed.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-21-10 at 11:14 AM.
    Harry_Yambag likes this.
    12-21-10 11:10 AM
    30% after 11hrs with low use. I do have msn and fb chat open all the time. And social feeds activated, a few emails, chats on bbm, msn, fb, occasional web browsing. Kinda sucks, can't go a full day with one charge...
    12-21-10 02:43 PM
    you can't compare a 3g phone with a 2g one for battery life, because it's guarranty that the battery will not last as long as the 2g (curve).

The way I fixed my battery life is I set the screen brightness to 50 %, which is way enough for my eyes to see. By defaults it's at 100 % and it is very bright, it's nice to have something bright, but after using my phone at 50 % for more than 2 week, I feel like 100 % was way too much now.
    12-21-10 03:17 PM
    these phones are "business orientated" phones, why don't they stay on longer??? If I was to heavily use my phone while not charging in car or so it would have been dead in 6-8 hours I think. Now I'm able to use it for 15hrs light to moderate use with 10% juice left. Is that considdered good or bad? or average? MSN, FB chat always running in background, frequent BBM chatting, sometimes webbrowser is on a certain page throughout the day, but mostly on facebook mobile, and also a bit of webbrowsing, few emails, occasional phone call and text message, and now my backlight is at 30% and GPS services off.
    Last edited by doglaTorch; 12-23-10 at 06:31 AM.
    12-23-10 06:29 AM
    Ok first off this post is totally false. Lithium batteries don't retain a "memory", this is what your referring to. Older batteries such as NiCad's(nickel cadmium) have this trait. Trust me on this one, Ive been using nicads, lithium ion, and now lithium polymer batteries for years in my hobby of r/c airplanes. Or you could just google it yourself.

On this post, your information is mostly correct. Your phone has a feature that does not allow the battery to drop below the safe charging level for lithium type batteries. The device shuts itself off when it reaches said level and does not allow the battery to be used until it has enough of a charge to power the device. There is no fear of "over" discharging your battery, you can use your phone right up until it shuts itself off.

As for the OP, I would say you have a defective battery(it happens sometimes with lithium batteries). Take it back to where you bought it. If you cannot get more then 6 hours of use from any BB, the battery has to be an issue if all the necessary steps to preserve battery life have been followed.
    Quoted for truth!

I just got my Torch 2 days so Im still in the "play with the phone as much as possible" mode. That and starting to dl all the apps I want. I took my phone off the charger at 6:30 am yest and at 10pm last night, I had 45% battery left. Only adjustment I made was dropping screen brightness to 50%.
    12-23-10 08:58 AM
    im a heavy user on my blackberry torch and the battery life sucks to be honest. My 9700 running OS6 has a much longer battery life. on my 9700 i can run it the whole day with out a charge and still be left with 25 - 30%. Within 6hours i already have to charge my torch b4 i go to class.
    12-23-10 01:41 PM
    i've done all the setting and its still draining like mad.. i charged my phone as i was sleeping and took it off the charger at 745 in the morning when i woke up and it is 1015 now and my phone is at 55% now.. what else can i do? in 2 and a half hours it has drained 45%.. could it be searching for my BIS network which could be causing the problem? i realized when i was home and it detected the network it just did not drain as much battery and took a much longer time as compared to when i'm at work and does not discover the network. i've turned off every program possible and have no gps wifi or anything on..
    01-02-11 08:21 PM
    If your in an area where where 3G is not strong and the network is constantly switching from 3G to Edge battery life can suffer greatly.

When I first had my 9800 battery life was not the greatest but on par with my 2 year old 9000 battery and would need a re charge mid day. But after a few days my battery life improve vastly. I can go a day and a half with moderate to heavy usage mainly using the phone for internet and texting. My 9000 never had battery life this good...surprised me that's for sure

01-02-11 08:51 PM
    The reason why the Bold series have better battery life is because their battery is 1500mAh and the Torch is about 1270mAh (correct me if i'm wrong but its around there). Pretty noticable difference IMO. That's a long "Bold battery life vs Torch battery life" story short. But I do hope it had the bolds battery not sure why RIM never put that since its a device which will use more battery juice than the Bold series.

01-02-11 11:33 PM
    weird. my torch gets just as good battery life as my bold did
    01-03-11 01:17 AM
    fwiw, i bought an new oem fs-1 battery for my att torch off ebay and this
    extra battery lasts way longer than the battery that came with the phone. and both batts are brand new - the phone is only 3 weeks old. so i am getting markedly different battery life with different batteries. both these batteries have only "seen" os 337.
    01-03-11 11:41 AM
    .337 has lower battery life in general than .246
    01-03-11 01:05 PM
    Will my Blackberry blow up if I use a different charger?? The Official RIM Charger is 5V and 750 mA - - - and my RadioShack charger is 5V and 1000mA.
    Any ideas?
    01-03-11 01:10 PM
    I listen to music on mine and I am in a building where I only get one bar of service. I have sent a couple texts today and my torch is dead, sitting here on the charger. Once its fully charged I will drain it again before the day is over. But its not consistent. one day it will do fine, the next I have to charge it 2X. I keep wondering if there is something running in the background that I am not aware of. I am also not sure how to check it.. I am a black / crack berry rookie so who knows. I read something about a "bb button" but I have no clue what that is... I have to keep a charger in my jeep, house, and office, or my torch would be dead a lot.

thanks for your patience..
    01-24-11 12:51 PM
133 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD