Definitely loving my new torch..main gripe is with battery life!..I'm a moderate-heavy user (mostly BBM/emails), I unplug my phone around 5:30am, and when I leave work at 3pm I'm already around 40% remaining battery or less. I have location services turned off, and I'm OCD about closing running programs I'm not using. I've lowered the screen brightness as well as reduced the time the backlight is on. Any other suggestions for preserving battery life? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 11:30 PM
    I love my torch but becuase of my heavy use I always have my car charger and one extra charge on my office.

Well my goes mostly all day and I sent alot of email, bbm, yahoo im, fb, twitter, flirckr, wifi on and some phone call.

01-17-11 11:44 PM
    yea my battery life sounds about the same as yours. if i BBM heavily, i can lose 10% an hour. its a real shame because some people on here claim to get about 2 days with normal to heavy use. i get nothing. sometimes i only get like 12 hrs if i use it the way i want to. its horrible.
    01-18-11 12:11 AM
    Hmm.. How long have you guys had your torch?
    Cos when I first got my torch, I was ploughing through the battery abt 10% an hour.. But after about a week of usage, it suddenly became "normal" in that I could go through 2 days with just 1 charge..
    01-20-11 08:39 AM
    I can go 2 days with 1 charge on my Torch too!

01-20-11 08:51 AM
    turn off 3g. Go to 2g only. Unless you're streaming youtube or something, you'll never notice the difference. Except your battery will last 2 days instead of one.
    vulture.girl likes this.
    01-20-11 09:04 AM
    I have had my Torch since December and it seems an improvement of battery life over my old 8900 but I can go almost 2 days but it really depends on what I am doing. Most of the time if I am BBM or even texting a lot it does not last that long. That is interesting post about the turning off 3G, never thought of that. It does seem to fully charge faster(in wall) than my previous units.
    01-20-11 09:12 AM
    I would think the point would be to get it to go one day, or at the most 16-18 hours. People who gripe that their phone doesn't last 2 days need to get real. The batteries don't do that. If you want something that lasts 2 days, get a non-smartphone. Otherwise, plug it in every night
    01-20-11 09:14 AM
    I too am having a hard time trying to figure out this battery life. I unplugged mine this morning at 7:00am and have used it for 3 bbm 3 emails and I am at 85%! I was wondering if it has anything to do with bringing over 3 party apps from my bold 9700. I have just come to the realization that I will have to charge while I am at work otherwise it will be dead by 4:30
    01-20-11 09:25 AM
    Are you on 3g or do you have it disabled? I've had mine unplugged since 5:15am and have surfed facebook extensively, received a dozen emails, refreshed and read twitter, and surfed to a couple links from there. All on 2g or edge only. It's almost 10am and I'm at 85%.
    01-20-11 09:49 AM
    Yes I am on 3G, I cant for the life of me figure out what is causing the drain?? I have uninstalled and re-installed my 3rd party apps. My son also has a torch that I got him for Christmas, after using it and moving all of his apps from his storm to the Torch I loved it and went out on boxing day to get one. I moved all of my apps etc from my Bold 9700. He doesn't have as bad a drain as I am having. I have nothing running in the background either other than the main apps.
    01-20-11 09:54 AM
    My torch is unpredictable. Some days I lose 10% an hour, others I go through about 25% a day (13hours). I use my phone the same everyday too. Dozens of emails incoming and outcoming, a large amount of texts, facebook, bbm, A LOT of websurfing.

I would never turn 3g off. AT&T's edge blows, there is a HUGE difference when surfing the web on 2g compared to 3g.
    01-20-11 09:55 AM
    I too am having a hard time trying to figure out this battery life. I unplugged mine this morning at 7:00am and have used it for 3 bbm 3 emails and I am at 85%! I was wondering if it has anything to do with bringing over 3 party apps from my bold 9700. I have just come to the realization that I will have to charge while I am at work otherwise it will be dead by 4:30
    Apps and themes can affect battery life. I just make it a habit to charge my phone at night. I start the day at 6am and put the phone on the charger around 11pm. Lowest I have been at the end of a very heavy day of usage (facebook, browser, game playing, messaging, taking pictures and vids) has been 40%.
    01-20-11 09:57 AM
    turn off 3g. Go to 2g only. Unless you're streaming youtube or something, you'll never notice the difference. Except your battery will last 2 days instead of one.
    Tried this, but I noticed the difference RIGHT away when I searched something simple in google. Not the solution for me (
    01-20-11 03:43 PM
    Buy the Torch Desktop Charger. I have one as a night stand and another in the office. Now I don't even use my car charger anymore

01-20-11 03:49 PM
    Take a look at this site regarding BB battery suggestions. I do it and have no battery life issues.
    01-20-11 05:27 PM
    buy a charging pod for your desk
    Holster saves me battery life on the go
    01-20-11 06:26 PM
    my battery life is half of what blackberry says it should be. since ive been using bbm, it has been cut another half.. my battery is good for 6 hours!! what do i do
    01-21-11 06:44 PM
    Unless I'm doing heavy internet surfing, I keep my 9800 on 2G. 3G just drains it so fast (I only have 7 apps on my phone and none run in the background), especially between surfing the net and using BBM heavily. If I leave it on 2G my phone will stay charged for 2 days with moderate use, but in my experience heavy use of BBM and using 3G will drain your battery.

I also I have a car charger and am considering buying another charging cradle to keep at work.

01-22-11 04:45 AM
    Everyone's definition's of usage is different..what one considers "light" usage might be "moderate" to others. Not everyone can turn off 3G as well. I know on Telus (Canadian carrier) if I try to go to 2G mode..the phone goes into SOS mode..and is unuseable. If the phone can last you thru your normal workday and still have some power left at the end of the night (whether it's 10% or 40%) I don't see what the big deal is about throwing it on the charger. If it's only lasting 4 or 6 hours with normal useage..then i'd say you have a faulty battery.
    ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    01-22-11 07:57 AM
    I haven't had any probs getting through 16 hour days, sometimes 2. I fully charge nightly. If its a constant problem get a spare battery to keep handy. I know there is a charging holster for a lot of BB's.

01-22-11 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD