Hey everybody, I am sure you are sick of the posts in which people b**** about how the 9800 sucks and blah blah blah but I am here to tell you I went back to the 9700 for the reason that the 9800 was too awesome for me.

I know that sounds stupid but here is why I went back to the 9700:

1) Ease of use - The 9800 and OS6 is great. It is smooth, crisp, fast and overall a great UI. However, it just doesn't suit my need to hold down a key to call my friends on my speed dial as opposed to sliding up the screen to do so.

2) Social Media - I am not a super social media nut, but the Torch is absolutely geared towards two things, 1) social networking and 2) media. I don't watch videos or listen to music on my phone nor do I have a facebook or myspace account so the social media aspects for me aren't necessary.

3) Touch Screen - The Torch's screen, despite other criticism, is great. It is perfectly responsive and the clarity is great. However, I miss the trackpad and my non-touch screen. Dumb, I know.

4) Build Quality - My Torch was perfectly constructed. I had no software or hardware issues at all. The sliding mechanism was solid, not wobbly at all and I had no audio or button issues. My keyboard didn't "clack" or feel cheap. I just missed the simplicity of the 9700, and it's superior "weight."

Bottom line, the Torch is a kicka$$ media driven, yet business efficient tool. It has better video quality than the iPhone 4 and I know I don't have to tell you about it's second to none business aspects. But, it's just too much awesomeness for me...
    08-26-10 02:31 PM
    you make no sense :S but ok ... have fun with the 9700 great device
    08-26-10 02:33 PM
    Crazy post lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 02:38 PM
    I'll give you my 9700 in exchange for it then
    08-26-10 02:43 PM
    OK, that was unexpectedly funny!!!!
    08-26-10 02:45 PM
    Yeah that was very funny. I like that the OP misses his trackpad when the Torch has a trackpad that works just like the one on the 9700. I also like the fact the OP says the torch is gear towards social networking and media, okay, it has been enhanced in that regard with OS 6, and yet has lost none of the capabilities the 9700 has.

Flippin' bizarre.
    08-26-10 03:25 PM
    Hey everybody, I am sure you are sick of the posts in which people b**** about how the 9800 sucks and blah blah blah but I am here to tell you I went back to the 9700 for the reason that the 9800 was too awesome for me.

I know that sounds stupid but here is why I went back to the 9700:

1) Ease of use - The 9800 and OS6 is great. It is smooth, crisp, fast and overall a great UI. However, it just doesn't suit my need to hold down a key to call my friends on my speed dial as opposed to sliding up the screen to do so.
    Just for other people reading this if you hit the "2" button on the screen when in the phone app it will pull up your speed dial entries that you use when holding down a key to dial on non-touchscreen models.
    08-26-10 03:33 PM
    This post is amazing! Well done. So you wanna sell your 9800?
    08-26-10 03:38 PM
    I know my post makes no sense. I just like the "simplicity" of the 9700 opposed to the 9800.

And the social media aspects of the Torch are FAR superior to the 9700. The main differences of the 9700 and 9800 is the social media and how it all integrates and the video, audio, etc.

Glad I could confuse you all into some humor! Haha...
    08-26-10 03:38 PM
    This post is amazing! Well done. So you wanna sell your 9800?
    I paid full retail for the Torch at Best Buy and because it has only been two weeks, I returned it for a full refund. Sorry
    08-26-10 03:40 PM
    Whatever floats your boat man!
    08-26-10 03:41 PM
    The 9700 is a great device but I am sticking with my Torch. Good luck to you.

08-26-10 03:46 PM
    Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke"......
    08-26-10 03:46 PM
    Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke"......
    LOL, who still sticks to that old phrase? I was drawn in by all the hype and flash with the new, latest device only to realize that the 9700 is all I needed. Saved 240 in the process. Just thought my situation might help someone who was on the fence. That's all.
    08-26-10 03:54 PM
    LOL, who still sticks to that old phrase? I was drawn in by all the hype and flash with the new, latest device only to realize that the 9700 is all I needed. Saved 240 in the process. Just thought my situation might help someone who was on the fence. That's all.
    But your situation makes no sense. Your basically saying the Torch is too much phone for you. If that's the case, so be it.

Sort of like buying a computer - you can never have to much!

And that 9700 screen looks small now, doesn't it?
    08-26-10 03:57 PM
    Not a damn thing wrong with a 9700. If that is the best phone for you go back to it. And enjoy it.
    08-26-10 04:00 PM
    Not a damn thing wrong with a 9700. If that is the best phone for you go back to it. And enjoy it.
    I don't think anyone is saying the 9700 is a bad phone.
    08-26-10 04:01 PM
    But your situation makes no sense. Your basically saying the Torch is too much phone for you. If that's the case, so be it.

Sort of like buying a computer - you can never have to much!
    As much as I love technology there is a downside to it. Having the newest technology in some cases isn't what's best.
    Think of it this way. The newest Gamer PC would most likely tempt a person to play the newest games on it - buying them, and wasting hours and hours in front of your screen at home. Just the fact that the hardware allows it, and you have it in your house is tempting to use it. So, why having such a distraction and waste your time on it? You don't! So you might get a notebook for work instead in order to edit videos and manage files etc. It simply keeps you more productive.

Same goes for smartphones, and in particular the OP's case. The Torch has newer technology and improved functionality. However, just the existence of those improvements generates temptation to use them to their most potential. This consumes time and limits productivity. The Social Feeds function, for example, might tempt users who never used respective accounts now to start using them and "waste" time on it. Users already familiar with twitter, facebook, myspace and what not would likely also spend more time using this function. Furthermore, I would argue that navigating in OS5 is faster than navigating in OS6. So you might lose productivity here as well. Admittedly, OS6 is a better eye candy though and is organized differently, so everyone will just embrace it - including me. Eventually 9700 and 9800 both run OS6.

For me any tech device must meet my needs and operate simple and fast, and that is about it. A Blackberry 9700 does it great, a Curve would do it, so would the Torch. However the 9700 is simplier and faster to use than the Torch.
    I just don't see why so many people in this thread consider the OP's story funny and inexplicable (implied by sarcasm in several posts). To me it makes perfect sense. He focused on his priorities and went back to a simplier device he was more productive with. That device has no downsides compaired to the Torch and can be operated quicker. He doesn't need the improved network/media functions the Torch provides. By avoiding them he saves time and stays more productive.

simplicity/productivity > everything else.
    08-26-10 05:35 PM
    I totally agree. The Torch is incredible, however I still have a soft spot for the 9700. Amazing device, I am tempted to keep it just to play with it here and there, however for that reason I can't keep it just to play.

I miss the functionality and ease of use to hit the left convenience key to pull up Quicklaunch. It's all personal preference! Both phones are spectacular in my mind.
    08-26-10 05:48 PM

Thanks for summing it up, I couldn't find the words and you said it perfectly. Plus going back to the 9700 refunded the $240 I had to fork over for the phone (I paid full retail but used a loophole in my insurance with Best Buy which is why I only went $240 out of pocket).

And to the whole computer thing, you pay EXTRA for the one with more features, as I did for the Torch... It being "too much phone" isn't an invalid statement. Too much phone, more money. I went back to the 9700 in which I saved the money.

The screen is smaller, but i had the 9700 for 8 months opposed to the Torch for 2 weeks so I am plenty used to it.
    08-26-10 05:51 PM
    As much as I love technology there is a downside to it. Having the newest technology in some cases isn't what's best.
    Think of it this way. The newest Gamer PC would most likely tempt a person to play the newest games on it - buying them, and wasting hours and hours in front of your screen at home. Just the fact that the hardware allows it, and you have it in your house is tempting to use it. So, why having such a distraction and waste your time on it? You don't! So you might get a notebook for work instead in order to edit videos and manage files etc. It simply keeps you more productive.

Same goes for smartphones, and in particular the OP's case. The Torch has newer technology and improved functionality. However, just the existence of those improvements generates temptation to use them to their most potential. This consumes time and limits productivity. The Social Feeds function, for example, might tempt users who never used respective accounts now to start using them and "waste" time on it. Users already familiar with twitter, facebook, myspace and what not would likely also spend more time using this function. Furthermore, I would argue that navigating in OS5 is faster than navigating in OS6. So you might lose productivity here as well. Admittedly, OS6 is a better eye candy though and is organized differently, so everyone will just embrace it - including me. Eventually 9700 and 9800 both run OS6.

For me any tech device must meet my needs and operate simple and fast, and that is about it. A Blackberry 9700 does it great, a Curve would do it, so would the Torch. However the 9700 is simplier and faster to use than the Torch.
    I just don't see why so many people in this thread consider the OP's story funny and inexplicable (implied by sarcasm in several posts). To me it makes perfect sense. He focused on his priorities and went back to a simplier device he was more productive with. That device has no downsides compaired to the Torch and can be operated quicker. He doesn't need the improved network/media functions the Torch provides. By avoiding them he saves time and stays more productive.

I totally agree with this statement. It the same reason why I PERSONALLY would not get an iPad or netbook. I prefer to have my laptop to do what I need to do on a CPU. I don't need a netbook and laptop. Same goes for the Torch really. I don't need all the multimedia, albeit how cool it is. I have a 16GB SD card on my 9700, it suits me great eventhough I never use the music player. I prefer to use my iPod for playing music. We all are different, which is why RIM comes out with various products to hit different consumers' needs.

Again, cheers to the Torch. It is an awesome device!
    08-26-10 05:55 PM
    i don't see anything wrong with the post...
    the same reason people stayed with the 9000 even though there was a 9700 that came after that..
    it's a perfect example of to each his own..

my wife although have an iphone 4 for everything else..
    she still keep this and use this most of the times..
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 08-26-10 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added picture
    08-26-10 06:06 PM
    I think that the OP is saying that he prefers the 9700 even though the 9800 is a great phone. I can see that. I felt the same way about my iPhone. It was a great device but I wanted to ** back to a blackberry because it suited me better.
    08-26-10 07:09 PM
    Hey, I still drive my 67 VW bug. The Jetta is just too much car for me, ROFLMAO

08-26-10 07:24 PM
    Hey, I still drive my 67 VW bug. The Jetta is just too much car for me, ROFLMAO

Didn't think I'd be getting slammed for going back to a device that's more suited for me. Also didn't realize the 9700 was 40 years older than the 9800. As one poster stated earlier, can do pretty much the same thing on the 9700 that you can do on the 9800. So why pay extra for what's "new" when your '67 can do what the new Jetta can?

08-26-10 09:39 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD