Has anyone used this? When I input information online, it won't sync to my phone. But when I add to my phone, it'll sync to the website. Why won't it go the other way around? And yes, I've looked at the site settings and have them set correctly.
    05-19-11 02:58 AM
    Biggest POS going, you end up with a lot of duplicate contacts after a while. Damn near the second thing I uninstalled on my phone when i got it, and I've taken it out of every OS before loading(go to the java folder and delete the nabsync cod's, then logon to the website and tell it to forget your device.
    gotigersgo and tbrenn like this.
    05-19-11 04:22 AM
    Biggest POS going, you end up with a lot of duplicate contacts after a while. Damn near the second thing I uninstalled on my phone when i got it, and I've taken it out of every OS before loading(go to the java folder and delete the nabsync cod's, then logon to the website and tell it to forget your device.
    couldn't agree more... most useless app ever... espically with syncing my device with outlook, and backing up my device regularly, and even with bb protect able to sync on a daily basis, there is absolutely no use for that app...
    05-19-11 09:50 AM
    Agree with the above posters. Garbage app. I use BB Protect as well for backup and works well.
    05-19-11 11:50 AM
    I used it briefly and turned it off on my cell and the website. It started recently syncing on it's own again for no reason, even though both places were turned off. It made a mess with tons of duplicates, etc.

How do I get it off my cell? I see some mention of it above, but I'm not completely following.
    05-19-11 12:03 PM
    Me too on the bit more clarification, specially on the website..
    05-19-11 04:13 PM
    Thank GAWD I am not the only user out there seeing the issues with this app! I am actually quite P'd off that it's so difficult to keep from syncing automatically.

Outlook is all I need (thank you very much!) and AT&T Address Book has made a MESS of things, seriously. What right does it have?! The POS site address that AT&T offers in their marketing material (att.com/addressbook) doesn't even work... it took some searching to learn that it is addressbook.att.net... that was a whole different frustrating issue, in itself.

I've also got wireless sync UNSELECTED, but it inadvertently syncs itself when it feels it should, like when you switch to and setup a different device.

My recommendation: steer clear of AT&T Address Book... just be responsible and use Outlook (or your desktop's PIM), and BlackBerry Protect (very nice, indeed) to sync your contacts!!
    05-20-11 12:40 AM
    This all depends on your knowledge of BBOS.

To make this rather simple I'll try to explain it in detail.

First you have to navigate to the OS folder(typically C:/Program Files(x86 if on a 64 bit pc)/Common Files/Research In Motion) this is the location of your OS and DM files.

Next open the folder called "Shared", then the folder called "Loader Files", Then you should find a folder with the name of your current OS, open that also. Next you'll find a bunch of cod's and 2 folders, one called UMTS and the other being Java. Open the java folder and scroll down until you find "net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod", There should be 8 of these "nabsync" files(all with slightly different names, but all have the nabsync name) erase them all then reload your OS onto your phone. You also need to stop the service via the web page.

Now you no longer have AT&T address book on your phone, just remember to delete these nabsync files in every OS you load.

I will in no way take responsibility for bricking your device if you decide to try and do this, I simply know it works and have been doing it this way since the first OS(.141).

I believe BB Boss shrinker tool will also shrink it out of the OS using the option under core applications just simply called AT&T.
    mrbjr likes this.
    05-20-11 05:33 AM

First you have to navigate to the OS folder(typically C:/Program Files(x86 if on a 64 bit pc)/Common Files/Research In Motion) this is the location of your OS and DM files.

Next open the folder called "Shared", then the folder called "Loader Files", Then you should find a folder with the name of your current OS, open that also. Next you'll find a bunch of cod's and 2 folders, one called UMTS and the other being Java. Open the java folder and scroll down until you find "net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod", There should be 8 of these "nabsync" files(all with slightly different names, but all have the nabsync name) erase them all then reload your OS onto your phone. You also need to stop the service via the web page.

Now you no longer have AT&T address book on your phone, just remember to delete these nabsync files in every OS you load.

I will in no way take responsibility for bricking your device if you decide to try and do this, I simply know it works and have been doing it this way since the first OS(.141).

I believe BB Boss shrinker tool will also shrink it out of the OS using the option under core applications just simply called AT&T.
    Homer1475, awesome response. Thanks! I've been an avid BB user for about 3 years, and am learning gradually, but very well. Thanks for the info.

QUESTION for you: I know there has got to be a way of removing all of the BLOATWARE included with various devices, particularly my Torch 9800.

Most of them are just crappy links that install iconized browser bookmarks -- a complete waste of time and space (although I probably don't need to worry about it with my new 32 gig microSDHC -- but it just irks me that they are there.)

I prefer not to hide them, as I seimply want them GONE! Any expert advice on how to get rid of them? Thanks buddy.

Jim
    05-20-11 06:05 AM
    Most of those icons(the ones that are links to download things) are pushed to your device from the carrier. Unfortunately there is no way to uninstall them, and even if you did manage to get one uninstalled, they just show up the next time you do a battery pull or an OS reload.

What I have always done on my BB's for those icons(as well as other things I don't want to show) is to just make a new folder called "Hidden", or "Junk", or whatever, and put all those icons in that folder and then hide the folder. Simple, clean, and organized, as opposed to just hiding them one by one and you end up with half your stuff jumbled all over the place when you choose to "Show All".
    05-20-11 06:10 AM
    Most of those icons(the ones that are links to download things) are pushed to your device from the carrier. Unfortunately there is no way to uninstall them, and even if you did manage to get one uninstalled, they just show up the next time you do a battery pull or an OS reload.

What I have always done on my BB's for those icons(as well as other things I don't want to show) is to just make a new folder called "Hidden", or "Junk", or whatever, and put all those icons in that folder and then hide the folder. Simple, clean, and organized, as opposed to just hiding them one by one and you end up with half your stuff jumbled all over the place when you choose to "Show All".
    Thanks. That's precisely what I've done... hidden folder named "JUNK" -- nice to know we're on the same page. Thanks for the input.
    05-20-11 06:21 AM
    Here's the bizarre situation I encountered. I'm on BIS and one day when I went to sync my phone with my desktop, I received a message that every one of the more than 1100 contacts on my device had been modified and that it would apply those modifications to Outlook. Fortunately, I stopped the sync, as upon further examination I discovered that in the Notes field for every single contact, the word "Dummy" had been inserted.

Now, I can't figure out how to undo it. Even though I stopped that sync, restored the contacts on my phone with my Outlook contacts, and turned off the AT&T wireless sync, they're all back. I've yet to try the suggestions above for completely removing the AT&T address book, but short of that, anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
    05-20-11 11:21 AM
    I have heard of this hapening to other users, but don't remember what the resolution was... Try searching...

Other than deleting them one by one, you could attempt to export your address book to a spreadsheet and either delete the whole column, or use 'find & relpace" to find "dummy" and replace it with " ". And then re-import the address book??

Just a thought, no clue how to do it tho...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 11:28 AM
    Yea its total bs.. I now have triple contacts as sim card contacts transfered and gmail... Now att address book...

What I did was restore my phone factory and logged on att address book website and disabled sync and then sync google for my contacts... I know this isn't the best way but for me it worked

05-20-11 11:57 AM
    If the OS is already loaded on the phone, is there a way to uninstall the AT&T address book? Also, how do I uninstall or turn off the AT&T Address Book on the website?

Thanks.
    Last edited by gameson; 05-20-11 at 11:59 AM.
    05-20-11 11:57 AM
    Thanks Homer,finally properly reread your instructions, all gone....
    05-20-11 01:44 PM
    If the OS is already loaded on the phone, is there a way to uninstall the AT&T address book? Also, how do I uninstall or turn off the AT&T Address Book on the website?

Thanks.
    Ill take some screen shot when I'm home.

You can also follow Homer's instruction and it will work

05-20-11 02:03 PM
    Here's the bizarre situation I encountered. I'm on BIS and one day when I went to sync my phone with my desktop, I received a message that every one of the more than 1100 contacts on my device had been modified and that it would apply those modifications to Outlook. Fortunately, I stopped the sync, as upon further examination I discovered that in the Notes field for every single contact, the word "Dummy" had been inserted.

Now, I can't figure out how to undo it. Even though I stopped that sync, restored the contacts on my phone with my Outlook contacts, and turned off the AT&T wireless sync, they're all back. I've yet to try the suggestions above for completely removing the AT&T address book, but short of that, anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
    I had this happen, and I still have the occasional "Dummy" in the Notes section of a contact. That is really fun to explain when I send a contact of a friend to another friend; tell me what you really think!

Find a recent, accurate backup of your contacts. BBDesktop Software does a decent enough job of grabbing snapshots of contacts. BBProtect can do it too. Hopefully you have a credible contact backup to fall back on.

So I use GoogleSync to keep my contacts in line for business contacts. I then have a handful of personal contacts and their email accounts, which I let the BIS contact sync handle, which it does...at it's leisure.

It's even worse though because AT&T Address Book started taking ALL my contacts, from multiple sources, and duplicating the whole lot. (This is the origin of adding the word dummy in the notes section). And then duplicating it again, and again. (415 contacts became 830, then 1660, then 3320) before I put an end to it.

Go to your Contacts, then Options. Type the letters RSET. You should be able to delete AT&T Address Book, and then tell it, "No" for "Default" contact list.

You may want to go to your options --> Default Services, and set Contact List (SYNC) to Default. This is even if you don't want to use their wireless synchronization service; you just want ANYTHING but AT&T Address book for this value.

Do what homer1475 said:
    "navigate to the OS folder(typically C:/Program Files(x86 if on a 64 bit pc)/Common Files/Research In Motion) this is the location of your OS and DM files.

Next open the folder called "Shared", then the folder called "Loader Files", Then you should find a folder with the name of your current OS, open that also. Next you'll find a bunch of cod's and 2 folders, one called UMTS and the other being Java. Open the java folder and scroll down until you find "net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod", There should be 8 of these "nabsync" files(all with slightly different names, but all have the nabsync name) erase them all then reload your OS onto your phone. You also need to stop the service via the web page. "

You definitely have go to https://mobilebackup.att.com/ and enter or set up an account. Then, erase all semblances of this abomination from your account. Tell them for your line you do not want it. Erase it from your account. AT&T will tell you it�s gone. However, the battle is not over.

When you do a battpull or get new service books, you may have a pesky "net_rim_bb_nabsync" or 8 manifest back again.

If they do come back, you may have to go to Application Manager --> Contacts --> Hit the Berry's Button --> Modules --> and scroll and look for any instances of "net_rim_bb_nabsync or net_rim_bb_nabsync_XXX."

Hit the Berry's Button --> View Properties --> Edit Permissions, and then for Connections, Interactions, and User Data, change to Deny. (Hit Spacebar to collapse those menu items, and change the whole group settings.)

I did all these things, and I'm AT&T AddressBook free for about a month, and back to the way things were. However, wish you the best of luck, and if you brick your phone...I will in no way take responsibility...which I hope is understood as with most things on this forum.
    05-27-11 12:45 AM
    The best way I found to sync and back up contacts is a app called idrvive lite. Its free. I got it on my iphone. Backed up contacts. Downloaded it on torch from app world. Signed in then hit restore from another device and bam all contacts where in my torch then. Its really really helpfull. Especially when comming from iphone since u can't save to sim card. Hope thise helps some one.

Has anyone used this? When I input information online, it won't sync to my phone. But when I add to my phone, it'll sync to the website. Why won't it go the other way around? And yes, I've looked at the site settings and have them set correctly.
    05-27-11 11:56 PM
    Sorry that's idrive lite
    05-28-11 12:04 AM
    Best and easiest way to backup contacts is blackberry protect.
    05-28-11 06:27 AM
    When you do a battpull or get new service books, you may have a pesky "net_rim_bb_nabsync" or 8 manifest back again.

If they do come back, you may have to go to Application Manager --> Contacts --> Hit the Berry's Button --> Modules --> and scroll and look for any instances of "net_rim_bb_nabsync or net_rim_bb_nabsync_XXX."

Hit the Berry's Button --> View Properties --> Edit Permissions, and then for Connections, Interactions, and User Data, change to Deny. (Hit Spacebar to collapse those menu items, and change the whole group settings.)

I did all these things, and I'm AT&T AddressBook free for about a month, and back to the way things were. However, wish you the best of luck, and if you brick your phone...I will in no way take responsibility...which I hope is understood as with most things on this forum.
    If you delete the nabsync files from the OS prior to install, they cant install themselves via a service book(completely impossible to install a cod from a service book). I've been AT&T address book free since day 3 with my torch back on OS .141. Just delete the nabsync cod's from the OS folder prior to installing on the phone, and it will never come back. It can however be on your device if you do not stop the service via the web interface(service book controlled), and will ask you if you want to reinstall it when you click on contacts.
    05-28-11 07:50 AM
    thanks for the tip. I can only find 6 of these net_rim_bb_nabsync files. Where are the other 2? I m using the ver 600 SW.

Also, if I want to uninstall Virtual Voice Mail, can I just do the same step and delete net_rim_bb_vvm under the same folder as the nabsync files?

Thanks.

07-29-11 05:20 PM
    "Open the java folder and scroll down until you find "net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod", There should be 8 of these "nabsync" files(all with slightly different names, but all have the nabsync name) erase them all then reload your OS onto your phone. You also need to stop the service via the web page. "

This is a stupid question but I have followed the above procedures on the Bberry OS on my PC. How do I get the changed or new OS to my device?
    02-24-12 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD