Hello,

Let me start off first by saying I have two cell phones, the first being the iPhone 4 / 16gb and the second being the BB Torch. I am well aware that these are complete opposite phones. When I first approached the Torch, I was mislead by BestBuy telling me that it had 4GB internal memory. I was so excited that I could finally load applications. What they failed in was telling me that there was still the constraint of 512MB for applications. The 4gb is for media and such.

My iPhone is a tinker toy and my BB Torch is my business phone. I have no complaints about the Torch (even the batter works great), except for their available memory. Can someone tell me perhaps why this seems to be an issue with BB and / or I am being a spoiled brat for wanting more.

Also, I have memory booster which helps, but are there any other suggestions to help manage the internal memory better?

Thank you in advance.
    10-15-10 12:52 PM
    If you need to load more than the remaining 300Mb for apps, then you need serious help.
    10-15-10 01:07 PM
    ^^ what he said. most blackberry apps ful inthe "Under 1mb" catagory. so, with a remaining 300+mb for app storage, you would need to hog that ******* out to clog up the app memory. most apps use the memory card for storage, but runn fromthe internal memory. also, the camera stores pics and vids and the mediaplayer stores music on the memory card. so really, with a big memory card, you should have no issue with app space.
    10-15-10 01:11 PM
    Memory booster apps basically use up more memory... That's what they're good for.

Unless you are actually running out of space (like under 20mb left) you aren't having memory issues...
    10-15-10 01:49 PM
    While it would be nice for Blackberries to come with more application memory, I agree that you shouldn't need to manage your memory unless you're running out of space. Are you low on available memory yet? The apps really are small and take up very little room.
    10-15-10 01:53 PM
    App world doesnt have anywhere near as many apps as iTunes. They also have much less FREE apps so for you to bog down your phone with apps from appworld it would definately cost you a pretty penny.
    10-15-10 01:58 PM
    i think people are forgetting though that apps do use that memory sometimes, and even worse leak memory (like Viigo on my 9000, god it ate it up so quick). It's only a matter of time before this could happen to the torch. Installing an app to a card wouldn't be of much benefit as thier core files are quite small, it still operates in that memory space which is where the problems are. A better solution would be similar to ReadyBoost, where it uses the card as actual memory for the apps to run in. But i assume read/write times make it less than practical?
    10-15-10 07:06 PM
    Well, I have 256 mb for my 9700 and with 30 apps installed I still have 130 mb left.
    10-15-10 07:37 PM
    Ya, I've got a lot of apps on my torch and have over 260MB free memory still. It won't be an issue with current apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-10 08:36 PM
    Well maybe someone can come out with an app that lets you install the programs onto your memory card? Because i know for the android phones theres a program that allows that but you had to go through the process of hacking your phone and all that good stuff lol
    10-15-10 09:08 PM
    It's hard to hack a blackberry�

10-15-10 10:13 PM
    I've been downloading app after app on my Torch for the past 2 months and I haven't run into a single problem. Just make sure you actually close the app when you are done and don't have it open in the background...
    10-15-10 11:14 PM
    I am running low on Application Storage:
    I have less than 100MB and the Torch complains and spends a lot of time with the hourglass.
    Applications are about 200MB, but I have over 200MB of "other" as showing on the Application management screen.
    How do I find out what is taking all that space?
    I checked all the obvious: Messages, contacts, appointments,... none are the culprit.

I wish we had 1GB indeed, but in the mean time, how to identify the issue and solve it?
    02-12-11 09:27 PM
    Most likely that's os files and messages emails and such. How do you get that many apps? I have like 40 an that takes up like 30 Mbs. Where do you get enough for 200 mb and how do you use all those lol?

02-12-11 09:37 PM
    I am running low on Application Storage:
    I have less than 100MB and the Torch complains and spends a lot of time with the hourglass.
    Applications are about 200MB, but I have over 200MB of "other" as showing on the Application management screen.
    How do I find out what is taking all that space?
    I checked all the obvious: Messages, contacts, appointments,... none are the culprit.

I wish we had 1GB indeed, but in the mean time, how to identify the issue and solve it?
    i would suggest u back up your torch and reinstall its with oS .448 or .450

also i would recommend for you to use shrink-an-os

maybe there is a serious bug in ur oS and thats why its doing that
    02-13-11 02:08 AM
    Most likely that's os files and messages emails and such. How do you get that many apps? I have like 40 an that takes up like 30 Mbs. Where do you get enough for 200 mb and how do you use all those lol?

No, it is not. My OS files, emails,... are about 8MB only (You can see that in Device / Database sizes)
    I do not have that many apps: only 23 installed.
    The total Apps is only about 190MB (out of which OS is 145.4). (You can see that on Application Management/Application storage screen
    02-15-11 08:32 AM
    Ihave 281.2 with 11 apps and 2 games. Don't know if that's good, but I assume so!

02-15-11 09:23 AM
    sorry guys for restarting an old post but I'm getting serious trouble these past few days due to the application storage memory on 9810. I'm on OS 7.1.0.536 with no serious apps installed, just about facebook, what'sapp, BB protect, CB wallpaper changer, and a few others. I'm down to less than 20 megs of application storage memory. the 9810 has been so insanely slow the better part of last week and it's not improved . Any suggestions?
    08-13-12 01:37 PM
    sorry guys for restarting an old post but I'm getting serious trouble these past few days due to the application storage memory on 9810. I'm on OS 7.1.0.536 with no serious apps installed, just about facebook, what'sapp, BB protect, CB wallpaper changer, and a few others. I'm down to less than 20 megs of application storage memory. the 9810 has been so insanely slow the better part of last week and it's not improved . Any suggestions?
    That doesn't add up...are you mistakenly saving pics or music to your app storage?
    08-13-12 01:59 PM
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when I check memory use for the built-in media storage, it shows me 6.2 gigs total, 6.0 gigs free and 232.9 megs used. In the details dialog page, it shows other at 218.1 megs. I 'explored' in the media folder and saw a start.exe file at 13 megs. what the heck is this file??
    08-13-12 02:14 PM
    ok, just an update. I deleted a few apps I never used (social feeds and a game I never played after installing it ) and quite some stuff on the docs to go. I rebooted. Then upgraded what'sapp and wikitude, rebooted and now I'm at ~100 megs of free app memory.

So, in all probability, the reboots freed the memory up, but wouldn't that be a band-aid solution? I'm thinking somewhere there's something hogging on memory. Maybe a clean install will help me.
    08-13-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD