Those who think 480x360 is just enough pixel for today's standard are the same people who can't tell the difference between standard to hi-def display on an lcdtv. IMHO resolution is everything on a phone. With the small nature of these screen a high pixel count is just as an important productivity aspect of the BBs. So **** yes, its a deal breaker. No way I'm going from my sharp and amazing Tour screen to this. Down grading for the lost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 09:35 PM
    4:3 on a device that is aiming to be the more media centric of the family is a joke.

A 3.2" LCD is lame enough in 2010, but with big bars when I watch any tv show or movie made after 1989?

Lame.
    08-04-10 09:39 PM
    Hey, iPhone still has 480x320 resolution, and that's with 3.5" screen. Nevertheless, it sells better than all of the hi-res Android and WinMobile devices put combined! It's not the screen resolution that matters, it's the whole package.

iPhone 4 is supposed to have 640x960, I know the older ones were 480x320.
    08-04-10 09:44 PM
    Wouldn't a higher resolution affect battery life? Not to mention it would give developers even more headaches.

I wouldnt expect a slight increase in resolution to hit the battery hard.

You would definitely notice a difference in clarity against the Storm series had they raised it, though.
    08-04-10 09:46 PM
    A number resolution might not mean much to your average consumer when the hear it but when the display is sitting next to the iPhone 4, it is apparent the 9800 is clearly inferior the instant you see it.

The screen on many of these next gen devices is a clear selling point (see Evo/Droid X/Incredible/Galaxy S/iPhone 4 sales). Its obvious that consumers know what they want, and why they have been flocking to these devices, even outselling BlackBerry for the quarter in the US.

The BB devout will say "blah blah its a business phone, doesnt need X feature" but they are incredibly wrong. This phone DIRECTLY COMPETES against the phones i mentioned earlier. You dont have a conference similar to Apple, or Verizon's Droid X, or Sprints Evo nor does one build giant display booths for stores JUST LIKE APPLE, and then go around trumpeting all these new features if you arent competing on the same category.
    08-04-10 10:10 PM
    I agree 100% and if they upped it a bit to lets say 800x560 or so that would have been amazing. And a little bump in the CPU, and I would have the patience and desire to wait for RIM to release it in Canada.

By the time they do any of that, it may all be too late, and will have lost a big chunk of subscribers.
    08-04-10 10:14 PM
    i'm thinking for me it is. it is just so very confusing that they would not at least match what is out there and yeah i get the battery thing-at worst you'd have the same battery life as the competition, not all the phones have to be camels. for me screen is a big deal, not for games but for actual work-showing photos during sales calls is a key use i'd have for a solo device on my person.

i've been following this phone hopefull for awhile and i had this dream that it would have something cool, i was dreaming up nonglare, no finger oil marring screens..etc. and here they are propping this up to be high end device and the screen is average for the same $200?. i just don't get it, quite confusing
    08-04-10 10:17 PM
    Gotta wonder, how many actually notice the difference? At about 180DPI it's hard for the human eye to discern especially if viewing media that is moving.

I mean look at computer monitors. Sure, I can go to 1680x1050 but who cares? Once it's that fine it makes no difference.
    08-04-10 10:37 PM
    Gotta wonder, how many actually notice the difference? At about 180DPI it's hard for the human eye to discern especially if viewing media that is moving.

I mean look at computer monitors. Sure, I can go to 1680x1050 but who cares? Once it's that fine it makes no difference.
    I've got 1680x1050 on my 15.4" laptop and it absolutely makes a difference to me when compared with lower resolution, eg. 1440x900, both in terms of clarity, and how much you can fit on the screen. For the 9800, for me the resolution is a deal breaker, but hopefully it'll push down the price of the 9700 and I'd get one of those, after all, it's got the same resolution.
    08-04-10 11:37 PM

It's pretty easy to notice the difference. Especially when every reviewer is saying the screen looks "archaic" compared to the current class of smartphone screens. Plus the side by side views make it obvious.

H*ll, you can see the difference between the iPhone 4's retina display compared to the Droid X's display. The iPhone's is much nicer, currently the best on the market.
    08-04-10 11:42 PM
    I am wondering if this is like that silly argument where analog sound is better than digital? The end result is it is indistinguishable. Not being a ***** by any means as I don't have the true info, I am really curious though. I have no idea what the resolution of the human eye is.

But ya, analog sound is no different from digital sound no matter what those foolish audiophiles say. It's very easy to prove.
    08-04-10 11:44 PM
    I am wondering if this is like that silly argument where analog sound is better than digital? The end result is it is indistinguishable. Not being a ***** by any means as I don't have the true info, I am really curious though. I have no idea what the resolution of the human eye is.

But ya, analog sound is no different from digital sound no matter what those foolish audiophiles say. It's very easy to prove.
    I know what you are talking about with the resolution (when the Retina display came out there was a lot of information about the human eye and what it can see), but you can EASILY tell the difference between a 480x360 screen compared to a 854x480 screen. The 480x360 screen looks like standard cable, the 854x480 screen is HD. That's the best way I can explain it.
    08-05-10 12:12 AM
    the whole concept of this phone is nice. the design is pretty boring. but the one stand-out eyesore that immediately makes me say "no thanks" is the screen resolution. please. 360x480?

if they really want to make a revolutionary device and not just a current-gen BB rehash, they'd throw in a 480x800 WVGA screen like the N1 or the droid. Especially if they're retooling the OS for 6.0, they have plenty of time and design consideration to format it for a WVGA screen. otherwise this phone is exactly the same as the storm, with a physical keyboard, which is absolutely nothing exciting.

i'm starting to see why people complain that RIM is way out of date on their technology.
    It's not a deal breaker, it's not a surprise, but it's disappointing.
    08-05-10 12:14 AM

On my 22" monitor the difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 is very noticeable, mainly the text clarity. The higher the res, the sharper the edges of images and text gets.

Images I mail to my iPod Touch from my PC looks like **** which normally look awesome on my PC.
    08-05-10 08:56 AM
    Most people can tell the difference, but how much of a deal-breaker it is depends on your personal preferences. I'm content with 480x360 on a 3.2" screen.

Remember when the displays weren't even in color? Eek!
    08-05-10 09:04 AM
    if you can tell the difference when holding it next to a Captivate or the iphoner-well then you can tell the difference that is what i plan to do in the AT&T store in a few weeks and it will be a factor in my decision-RIM really should have erased that from being even being a discussion by just matching what is out there.
    08-05-10 09:55 AM
    Where do you get 360x480 specs from?? On the Blackberry site it lists it as
    3.2� HVGA+ display (480x360 pixel)

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    08-05-10 01:33 PM
    Where do you get 360x480 specs from?? On the Blackberry site it lists it as
    3.2� HVGA+ display (480x360 pixel)

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    Thats the same res.......just flipped sideways...
    08-05-10 02:01 PM
    the whole concept of this phone is nice. the design is pretty boring. but the one stand-out eyesore that immediately makes me say "no thanks" is the screen resolution. please. 360x480?

if they really want to make a revolutionary device and not just a current-gen BB rehash, they'd throw in a 480x800 WVGA screen like the N1 or the droid. Especially if they're retooling the OS for 6.0, they have plenty of time and design consideration to format it for a WVGA screen. otherwise this phone is exactly the same as the storm, with a physical keyboard, which is absolutely nothing exciting.

i'm starting to see why people complain that RIM is way out of date on their technology.
    For me, the screen resolution is not a deal breaker. I don't watch videos on my phone. Most of the websites I go to on my berry are news sites and all I am really interested in are the text portions. Heck even on my laptop I hit the mute button and flash block videos on the news sites.
    Last edited by lush242000; 08-05-10 at 05:59 PM.
    08-05-10 05:57 PM
    For me, the screen resolution is not a deal breaker. I don't watch videos on my phone. Most of the websites I go to on my berry are news sites and all I am really interested in are the text portions. Heck even on my laptop I hit the mute button and flash block videos on the news sites.
    I don't care for videos on a high-res screen. I use my BB browser for CNN, tech blogs, facebook, and ESPN. Web-browsing in general is much better on a screen with higher resolution. Text looks better. If they took the amazing pixel density of the 9700 and doubled the size, my biggest complaint about this phone would be gone.
    08-05-10 06:15 PM
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to make phone call? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to create/read email? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to use BBM? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to listen to music? - NO

Since the above list describes about 90% of what I use my phone for on a daily basis (as do everyone I work with), what I want is the best possible phone that does all of the above. Looks like the 9800 fits the bill.

Sure, a higher rez screen is a 'nice to have' feature, but where does it really add any useful value? Web browsing, game playing and watching videos.

Thing is, if I need to extensively surf the web, do some serious gaming or watch movies, I'd much rather do it on my super hi-rez, 24" HD compatible monitor (or my 52" TV).

Just because you can do these things on a smartphone doesn't mean you should...
    08-05-10 06:19 PM
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to make phone call? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to create/read email? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to use BBM? - NO
    Do I need a super hi-rez screen to listen to music? - NO

Since the above list describes about 90% of what I use my phone for on a daily basis (as do everyone I work with), what I want is the best possible phone that does all of the above. Looks like the 9800 fits the bill.

Sure, a higher rez screen is a 'nice to have' feature, but where does it really add any useful value? Web browsing, game playing and watching videos.

Thing is, if I need to extensively surf the web, do some serious gaming or watch movies, I'd much rather do it on my super hi-rez, 24" HD compatible monitor (or my 52" TV).

Just because you can do these things on a smartphone doesn't mean you should...
    I agree. If I wanted HD, I'd buy another tv at Best Buy. Honestly though, I hope that RIM steps up the resolution on the Torch2. I don't have the patience to wait so resolution is not a deal-breaker since the other features more than make up for non-HD resolution.
    08-05-10 06:28 PM
    Those who are married to their BB 24/7 because they're not usually in front of a 52" TV (such as myself) use their BB browser extensively. So in that case, for a larger screen a higher resolution is a much welcomed feature. RIM has a screen with a great pixel-to-size ratio, on the 9700/9650/9630/8900. Instead of building on that, they took the screen they used 2 years ago on the Storm 1.
    08-05-10 06:28 PM
    It'd be nice, but not a deal breaker for me. If you wanna stream vids and play games get a toy like the nexus or iPhone (what the **** I have both of those too) Bottom line is that for me my berry is the everyday workhorse, and I for one cant wait for os6.
    08-05-10 06:41 PM
    It'd be nice, but not a deal breaker for me. If you wanna stream vids and play games get a toy like the nexus or iPhone (what the **** I have both of those too) Bottom line is that for me my berry is the everyday workhorse, and I for one cant wait for os6.
    Unless you're upgrading or already have, your 9000 can't run OS6
    08-05-10 06:42 PM
130 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD