the whole concept of this phone is nice. the design is pretty boring. but the one stand-out eyesore that immediately makes me say "no thanks" is the screen resolution. please. 360x480?

if they really want to make a revolutionary device and not just a current-gen BB rehash, they'd throw in a 480x800 WVGA screen like the N1 or the droid. Especially if they're retooling the OS for 6.0, they have plenty of time and design consideration to format it for a WVGA screen. otherwise this phone is exactly the same as the storm, with a physical keyboard, which is absolutely nothing exciting.

i'm starting to see why people complain that RIM is way out of date on their technology.
    03-03-10 09:38 PM
    Um.....the screen isn't S big as the droid hence the resolution doesn't need to be as large to get a sharp crisp view. Look at the S2. The resolution is fine for the screen size.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 09:41 PM
    Look at the S2. The resolution is fine for the screen size.
    I disagree with that. The S2 is the exact same resolution as my 9700 for a larger size. The S2 just reminds me of the resolution of my old Curve, just extended to a larger size. When I look at my 9700 screen I am always taken back by how good it looks because it crams so many pixels into that small area. Everything looks better on it. To extend that screen real estate and keep the pixel density would make my webbrowsing and media experience much more enjoyable.
    03-03-10 09:43 PM
    I do wish the resolution was a little better, but I think 400x800 is a little ridiculous given the size of the device. But I think 360x480 should still look pretty good.
    03-03-10 09:44 PM
    i don't think the screen resolution is a deal breaker. i don't see rim doing something earth shattering like making it an oled screen beyond this.
    03-03-10 09:49 PM
    I disagree with that. The S2 is the exact same resolution as my 9700 for a larger size. The S2 just reminds me of the resolution of my old Curve, just extended to a larger size. When I look at my 9700 screen I am always taken back by how good it looks because it crams so many pixels into that small area. Everything looks better on it. To extend that screen real estate and keep the pixel density would make my webbrowsing and media experience much more enjoyable.
    I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-03-10 09:54 PM
    480 x 640 would interest me a lot more than 360 x 480. I'm surprised that RIM is going the same route as their 2 previous touchscreen devices.

480 x 360 looks great on my Tour and I expect the same or better pixel density on any new device I get.
    03-03-10 10:06 PM
    Um.....the screen isn't S big as the droid hence the resolution doesn't need to be as large to get a sharp crisp view. Look at the S2. The resolution is fine for the screen size.

I disagree with you. After seeing the Tour and Bold 9700 screens, the Storm is noticeably inferior.
    03-03-10 10:09 PM
    Its the dealbreaker for me, I have the HD2, if its not at least comparable then I won't even consider this slider.

03-03-10 10:12 PM
    Resolution is a dealbreaker for me too. There's no excuse for keeping with the same resolution for yet another line. It should be par to the main competitors or better (at time of release). Just going by that would implicate a 480x800 screen.

03-03-10 10:23 PM
    480 x 640 would interest me a lot more than 360 x 480. I'm surprised that RIM is going the same route as their 2 previous touchscreen devices.

480 x 360 looks great on my Tour and I expect the same or better pixel density on any new device I get.
    +1
    10 char
    03-03-10 10:33 PM
    Resolution of the screen is part of the deal breaker. The problem is if they put a last generation screen on a new device are they going to put a last generation CPU, Camera etc. If OS 6 will be amazing I will give this phone a chance but something tells me it won't so I'm not getting hyped for this phone.
    03-03-10 10:42 PM
    I tend to agree - if they just extended the 9700's resolution the whole length, they should be able to do 480x640 or 480x720 no problem! I love the crispness of my 9700, and that's really what I was expecting a full, touchscreen to compare to. I'm really disappointed this new thing won't have a better resolution.
    03-03-10 10:52 PM
    asides from the resolution (and not wanting to be flamed for a new thread) the one thing that is odd to me is how much space is left on the sides of the screen. like the screen seems like it coulda been slightly larger. if not maybe the device slightly smaller - i hate that black border left by the smaller screen relative to the device's size...
    03-03-10 10:54 PM
    Wouldn't a higher resolution affect battery life? Not to mention it would give developers even more headaches.

03-04-10 01:59 AM
    FWIW I do not think it is a "deal-breaker" per-se for me, but I do wonder why RIM still consider producing new devices that, in certain aspects, offer significantly inferior technology to the consumer compared to other devices. My HTC Touch Pro is 2 years old but has a higher res. screen than what is being discussed for this device.

I think if RIM are seriously considering the consumer market, rather than the business market, they need to look at their rival manufacturers (HTC/Apple/Motorola etc) and see that they have some catching up to do.
    03-04-10 02:44 AM
    i just can't get past the fact that this phone is basically the exact same phone as what we've seen for 2 years, with a slide-out keyboard. there's so much more then can do from here.
    03-04-10 02:33 PM
    Every phone has its drawbacks...I don't think RES will be a deal breaker.
    03-04-10 03:46 PM
    No I dont think so. I don't really mind the resolution while it would have been nicer to have a nicer resolution. I just hope it'll have OS 6.
    03-09-10 06:26 PM
    absolutely not.

sure, more is nicer, however this is plenty for now. there's a point of diminishing returns.
    03-09-10 06:36 PM
    Resolution is a dealbreaker for me too. There's no excuse for keeping with the same resolution for yet another line. It should be par to the main competitors or better (at time of release). Just going by that would implicate a 480x800 screen.

LOL

ya, it looks so pixelated! i mean, my blu-ray movies are not going to look their best on it.
    03-09-10 06:37 PM
    This is just a prototype and while they say the resolution is 360x480.. Knowing RIM this could EASILY change at the last minute
    03-09-10 09:05 PM
    Hey, iPhone still has 480x320 resolution, and that's with 3.5" screen. Nevertheless, it sells better than all of the hi-res Android and WinMobile devices put combined! It's not the screen resolution that matters, it's the whole package.

03-10-10 12:41 AM
    "i don't think the screen resolution is a deal breaker. i don't see rim doing something earth shattering like making it an oled screen beyond this."

And there is the problem. THIS IS WHAT THE CONSUMER WANTS!!!!! I don't care what no one says but I'd venture to say that there are many BB owners who see these HD2's and Nexus 1's and wish their BB had a screen of that resolution. Just like people complain about the OS and say BB should buy out Palm for their WebOS. What is taking RIM so long for these features?!?!

RIM could've took the world by storm with this device. A big screen wit the physical keyboard.........that's like every BB owners dream. Too bad this is the worst looking BB to date, screen still has that same resolution as every other BB (which many other smartphones have surpassed by now), it probably still has a 3.2 mp camera and we don't even know if it'll do Open GL.....the top of the line Bold 9700 doesn't even have it. So pretty much I see this as a low end BB. All these are deal breakers to me

The OS can be the only saving grace of this dud.......and we'll see how RIM has changed this OS which I doubt is much if they've only been working on it since last year. Kudos to them though if they manage o pull it off though ........hope they do
    03-10-10 01:30 AM
    Keep in mind the resolution on the 9800 is better then a 3G iPod Touch or iPhone 3GS of which the touch is still for sale as a current model (480x360 for the Torch and 480x320 for the touch/iPhone 3GS).
    08-04-10 09:20 PM
130 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD