I've been with Blackberry since pretty much the beginning, through the years I've stayed faithful and upgraded as each new model came out with promises of improved performance etc. Now I'm at the torch, been with it for a couple of months and frankly, I'm pretty sick of it. I'm running 6.0.0.546/6.6.0.207, not upgrading beyond that because of the posts I've read stating there's not much performance differences nor is it that much better.

Currently the list of problems I'm experiencing with my torch for one is how one of my work email acct's no longer receives emails, constantly asking for me to verify my password, now I've been through this issue with both my company's IT dept and my service provider (CSL/1010 in Hong Kong) on separate occasions as well as at the same time to solve the problem. No side can seem to figure out the issue, how one day it was working perfectly fine and the next it's no longer getting emails. Now I've come to accept it as a lost cause.

Now the next problem, My whatsapp is constantly telling me that my media can't be found and disables my chat history and I have to go into settings and disable my media card, save, then re-enable it and save just so my chat history gets restored. Annoying but I've also come to accept it as something I need to deal with.

Next problem, this OS is driving me insane. The screen or OS freezes alot, causing me to battery pull, slow reaction times, specially when I'm on the fly going through emails or pictures. I've had the phone in to reboot with my service provider a couple of times and they all say there are no visible issues. But they reboot it anyways just in case. I guess this goes back the OS issue I stated before.

Google maps...........ugh, that's even worse. My service provider blames it on the amount of tall towers in Hong Kong blocking the gps signal, but my gf's iphone4 has no problems with google maps at all, we've done side by side tests and in most cases my bb can't even find my position.

Apps........blah, I know that most bb owners get their bb's for business purposes but come on, why can't we work and play also? We hardly have any decent apps and the ones that anywhere close to decent cost money, now I don't mind paying for apps, but I've gone through them and well lets be honest, the graphics just don't justify the costs. Now let me say here, I'm not bashing the many ppl who work tirelessly on those apps for us, maybe the limitations are really just on the bb's but I end up playing games more on my gf's iphone or my friends android based phones more than my bb. I'm just disappointed in what we're offered given that our community is so large.

I know there are others issues I have with my torch and with blackberry all together but at this time this is all I can think of. Unfortunately I'm stuck with my plan until 2013 and I doubt I'm going to spend the money on the new bold so its really just wait this out and then walk away from blackberry. However, I'm hoping that this community can help me find my way back to loving my blackberry. So that's the end of my rant, I can't give you your time back
    09-19-11 09:31 AM
    Short answer to your title...NO! Upgrade OS to .600 will help with freezing problems. What apps do have or theme are you running? Often these are the culprits with phone issues.

But the answer is I have not come to hate my Torch, in fact I will upgrade to the 9810 soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 09:46 AM
    I've read the posts of upgrading to .600, they don't seem to be such rave reviews. Current apps I have on my phone are the following: Whatsapp, bloomberg mobile, iron man magazine, the independent, Shanghai daily, bloomberg business week, HK useful numbers, HK taxi call, HK subway, HK food delivery, Photo Editor, Fancy Tran, Photoclub, iweather HK, google maps.

I am tempted to upgrade to the 9900 but am weary of promises from RIM of better performance falling extremely short.
    09-19-11 09:56 AM
    i agree and disagree with u on some things... i have had my torch since may and even tho i still love this phone and i think its one of the best form factor for a blackberry there are some things that i dislike about it... i dont know about your email but mine has been working fine for me.. i am running 6.0.0.600 on my phone and have had no freeze problem but at times it does lag and seems like this version drains my battery faster or maybe its just all the apps i have on it i am not sure.. i dont use any cross platforms apps on my phone cause feel i have no need for it bbm txt and facebook is usually the main sources i use to contact ppl.. i never installed google map on my torch yet i just remember when i did on my pearl 3g it was a bit laggy and stuff.. i honestly think they have released the torch 9800 to late like it was only out a year ago and it already feel outdates with all the competitive smartphones that are out with higher res and stuff and now they have released the os7 devices and i have compared the torch 9800 with the torch 9810 and it has improved alot with the resolution of the screen performance with the phone and stuff... and yes blackberry is lack with fun app for us to entertain ourself but i dunno about you but the torch does get stuff done for me and i use my phone alot and im not ready to jump to an os7 device just yet wanna wait for the qnx phone to be out and see how those blackberrys turn out..
    09-19-11 10:03 AM
    I suggest that you do a full wipe, upgrade and re-install. Do no reinstall from the back-ups. You seem to have app degradation. App Degradation is like software degradation on a pc, where a certain piece of software is causing memory leak. You can delete and re-install one by one, but the faster route is to wipe, upgrade and re-install. Then copy / add media files back on to the device.
    09-19-11 10:35 AM
    I like my torch 9800. To each their own. Love hate with all devices. I will say that having the choice with physical or virtual keyboards is great. Granted the newer models have better resolution and I like that. Tried them all but keep going back to my 9800. The 9810 is waaaay to slippery and looks cheap. New bold sweet byt for me to awkward to hold comftably. Bitched about how awful the 9860 is to type on but need a big screen but might go back just due to screen size.

09-19-11 10:56 AM
    I've had my Torch since August 2010 and I still love it. I had to go back to my iphone 3gs for a bit after I messed up loading an update. The iphone has a lot of wonderful features, but I couldn't wait to get back to my BB. Each phone has its strong points, and I feel the BB fits me much better.

Did more of your problems start up after you went to Hong Kong?
    I'm on .600 and have no problems really with lag or freezing up. I had a little difficulty awhile ago with my phone not letting me into my email setup to change settings and add another account. That was easily solved by going to the website to manage my email. You might want to try to access you email setup through the website and see if that make a difference.
    I don't have whatsapp, but I do have google maps and it works for me - a little slow at times, I do admit, but it works well nonetheless.
    09-19-11 01:27 PM
    I still think the torch is a good phone reagargless

09-19-11 03:38 PM
    My service provider has done a full wipe for me, the problems while not immediately resurfacing did eventually resurface. My problems only started with the 9800, I had the 9000 and the 9700 prior to this and loved them both, essentially flawless performance, just lacking the bigger screen and touch ability (which at the time I thought would be good, turns out it's kinda overrated) so I thought the 9800 would be the perfect phone.

I too like the ability to choose between the touchscreen and physical keyboard but have found the slider now to be more of an annoyance then gift. Which is why I'm on the fence about the 9900 as it offers basically the same thing as the Torch just without the slider.
    09-19-11 09:56 PM
    I've had mine since Jan. 2010 and am still loving it. I upgraded to .600 when it came out and have had no problems, in fact, it seems to be running faster and smoother, my battery seems to be lasting as long if not longer. Hope you find an answer, I know you are frustrated and I would be if I were in your place.
    09-19-11 10:18 PM
    My service provider has done a full wipe for me, the problems while not immediately resurfacing did eventually resurface. My problems only started with the 9800, I had the 9000 and the 9700 prior to this and loved them both, essentially flawless performance, just lacking the bigger screen and touch ability (which at the time I thought would be good, turns out it's kinda overrated) so I thought the 9800 would be the perfect phone.

I too like the ability to choose between the touchscreen and physical keyboard but have found the slider now to be more of an annoyance then gift. Which is why I'm on the fence about the 9900 as it offers basically the same thing as the Torch just without the slider.
    Yes I to been kinda thinking about and yes the torch 9800 is laggy at time but I love the option with the virtual and physical keys.. If only the 9800 was as smooth as the 9810 it would be better.. And I am not about to jump to a next torch that looks exactly the same just more powerful.. I like the 9900 but dunno about the screen size??.. But if it does come out in white in the future I might wanna get one but othger then that I wanna wait for the onx blackberrys to be out

09-20-11 07:36 AM

Have you tried reformatting your SD card? A corrupted card can cause 'unpredictable' issues with your phone, many times in places where you wouldn't expect it. I'd suggest backing up all your card data and attempt to reformat it.

FWIW, I never had any of the problems you described with my 9800. I upgraded to the 9810 because it's everything the 9800 was only better.

09-20-11 08:53 AM
    Have you tried reformatting your SD card? A corrupted card can cause 'unpredictable' issues with your phone, many times in places where you wouldn't expect it. I'd suggest backing up all your card data and attempt to reformat it.

+1 to the sd card. There have been a number of posts where the problem is the SD card. If reformatting doesn't seem to fix the issues, you might want to purchase one or go to your carrier store and see if they have one you can use to compare performance.

Good luck to you. Nothing worse than a phone not performing when you need it most. However, if you are eligible for an upgrade, you may want to check out the 9900. I've heard great things about its performance (except some complaint about the lack of auto focus on the camera). I have played with the 9810 and it is everything that RIM claims it to be. Only have a few days and I will be able to upgrade to it...woohoo!!
    09-20-11 09:42 AM
    Yes I have reformatted the SD card, Originally I thought it was 16gb SD card I installed so I swapped back to the fty 4gb. When that still gave me problems I reformatted it and I still have the problems. It's a frustrating thing to deal with but I've pretty much resigned to the fact that there's nothing I can do about it for now.

Yea, I'm still reading up on other available BB models but I'm also limited in Hong Kong as they don't get all the new models. We're just getting the 9900 in HK now.
    09-20-11 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD