Good morning.

I have a BB Torch and can't seem to get the album art to show on the device. I'm syncing with iTunes and the art shows in there, but does not show on my torch. Any help or suggestions on what I need to do to get the album art to show on my BB would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    09-07-10 07:40 AM
    Good morning.

I have a BB Torch and can't seem to get the album art to show on the device. I'm syncing with iTunes and the art shows in there, but does not show on my torch. Any help or suggestions on what I need to do to get the album art to show on my BB would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    There's an option in DM6 for transferring album art out of iTunes. The options box should pop up when you click on Sync on the lower right part of the DM screen.
    09-07-10 08:01 AM
    Thanks. Guess I should've mentioned that I'm actually using DM for Mac.

Any other thoughts?
    09-07-10 08:44 AM
    My only thought would be manually copying over album artwork, something I've done in a couple of instances because iTunes won't or can't get the album artwork to begin with. It's a relative pain though (especially if you are talking about more than a handful of albums). You have to open the image and resave it on your PC somewhere as a .png file, then rename it to folder.jpg -- yes, even though it's a .png file -- and then copy it to the appropriate album folder on your BB. It's also supposed to be a hidden file on your BB, although I don't know if not hiding it makes any difference.
    09-07-10 09:23 AM
    As a much belated addendum to this thread, I've found that while Music Sync (wi-fi or USB) now gets all album artwork over to the Torch, as long as the album/songs were already tagged with such artwork, there are some instances where album artwork doesn't show up for songs in a Playlist on the Torch, although the album artwork shows up when you play those same songs on the Torch either through the Songs or Albums lists. Deleting the songs from iTunes and my PC, then readding them to the PC, iTunes, and the corresponding iTunes playlists and resyncing didn't have any affect.

I thought I had it figured out, though -- the album folders on the Torch containing these songs for some reason did not have a folder.jpg file with the album artwork, although all of the songs had the album artwork as part of their mp3 tags. So I added folder.jpg files with the album artwork. However, there was still no album artwork for these songs when played as part of a Playlist, despite reboots and deleting the bbthumbs.dat files and rebooting again.

I then discovered a third source of album artwork files on the Torch (in addition to the individual mp3 tags and folder.jpg files). In the hidden system folder on the SD card on my Torch, there is a Media Sync folder with an AlbumArt subdirectory (file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/system/Media Sync/AlbumArt). All of the album artwork is in there as ".art" files (seemingly like the old AOL image file formats, but they are apparently .jpg files with changed extensions, at least according to IrfanView).

Unfortunately, the file names are in hexadecimal -- e.g., "1A4BA250.art" -- and I've found no means to link the hex names to a particular album, either by translating to decimal or looking for the same hex number in the master playlist file on the Torch (file:///SDCard/BlackBerry/music/Media Sync/Playlists).

I don't know if anyone has drilled down this far with album artwork, but does anyone know what the hexadecimal file naming protocol is for these .art files?
    07-08-11 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD