I'm at my wits end. iNeed help with album art on my music. When iUse windows explorer every song has album art. But when iDrag and drop them probably 30 on my Torch does. I've tried iTunes but the end up mixing up my artwork and certain songs end up with the wrong pic. iDidnt had this problem on my curve 8520 at all. Any suggestion would help. Love peace and chicken grease

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 06:23 AM
    You have come to the right place. I have almost 4700 songs on my Torch and each and every one of them has album art.

Your main problem is that you are using drag and drop. Use Media Sync on Desktop Software 6.1 because, among other things, it is designed to pull the album artwork associated with your songs from iTunes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also, the best way to ensure that your songs absolutely, positively have the correct album artwork associated with them is to use MP3 Tag. (In my experience, it's a lot easier and a lot surer than adding/editing album artwork in iTunes -- you can drag the artwork from your browser window and drop it into the MP3 Tag artwork window.) In MP3 Tag, load up the songs (or albums as the case may be) that you are having problems with from where they are located on your PC (not your Torch) and check to see if there really is album artwork for the particular song or album. Sometimes you will see album art in Windows Explorer but it won't for some reason actually be truly associated with the file. If you see it in MP3 Tag, you'll know it is part of the file, and when you add the album art to the song/album and save them, it will be instantly reflected in iTunes when you play the song there or click on Get Info for the song/album.

Additionally, and here is the root source of your problem, know that your Torch is primarily set up to read album artwork via a file called folder.jpg, which Media Sync puts into each album folder on your Torch. Media Sync folders on the Torch contain subfolders by artist, and within each artist folder are folders for albums by that artist. The folder.jpg files are within those album folders. If you are using drag and drop and using your own folder organization, you are asking for what you have right now -- catch as catch can in connection with album art. Also, if your mp3 files are not tagged properly with artist (I would even include the separate "album artist" tag) and particularly album info, you are just compounding your problems.

Lastly, do not edit files and folders on your Torch. Do it on the PC with MP3 Tag and then iTunes, then use Media Sync.

So, given the state your music is in right now on your Torch, your best bet would be to use MP3 Tag to make sure all of your songs and albums are tagged correctly, then check in iTunes to verify that everything is organized and tagged as it should be (i.e., it will reflect any mistakes you may have made in tagging songs in MP3 Tag). Connect your Torch and delete all of your music off of it -- at this point, having f-d things up with drag and drop, it's the only way. Then, with iTunes still running, run Desktop Software. Go to Device > Device Options > Media and, under Media on My Computer, make sure iTunes is selected as the Music source. Close out the dialog box and click on Music under Media Sync. Make sure "All Music" is checked at the top of the dialog box, then check all of the Playlists you want to add (note that checking All Music is sufficient to get everything you have on iTunes onto your Torch; if you don't want all of your iTunes music put on your Torch, you will have to uncheck All Music and check the Artists you want individually). Then click on Sync.

I had a few lingering artwork problems, and wiped all of my songs off of my Torch over the weekend. It took an hour and a half to re-sync all of them back on with Desktop Software, so it's not a terribly time consuming procedure and it's well worth your while. Plus, when you add new songs to iTunes going forward, you can use Wi-Fi Music Sync to get them to your Torch.
    Lyls and Markweaver like this.
    08-08-11 07:11 AM
    Thanks. Can you give me step by step details.

08-08-11 08:39 AM
    I think I pretty much did in the second to last paragraph of my post, at least as far as using Media Sync goes. And using MP3 Tag is fairly self explanatory. What aren't you clear on?
    08-08-11 09:22 AM
    Most of my music already has a pic added to it. But when i Go to iTunes either the pic is different or it has no pic. Why is that
    08-08-11 10:13 AM
    Because you are dragging and dropping music files onto your Torch -- you are not syncing with iTunes through BB Desktop Software. Sometimes mp3 files that seem to have an .art tag associated with them won't show up with any artwork in iTunes. I couldn't tell you precisely why. But I will tell you if you want all of the songs on your Torch to reflect what you have in iTunes, particularly in terms of album art, you need to use Media Sync.
    08-08-11 11:19 AM
    JasW has given very good advice for those of you used to the iTunes method of snagging and syncing tunes on your computer and Torch

But... for those of you like me... who stay far far away from iTunes and media syncing, you CAN drag & drop files on your Torch and still have Album Art. But, you MUST use a meta tagging program to give each file their proper ID tags.

I use MediaMonkey. It works great. Like JasW, I have about 4k+ songs on my Torch and every one displays the proper Album Art. Unlike what was said about iTunes and the folder it needs for Album Art, with the proper metatag information, the album art files can be located within the same folder as the tracks for any given album or you can have a separate folder just for album art if you want. All you gotta do is point the metadata to it. Drag & Drop is easy with this method.
    08-08-11 12:42 PM
    iReally dont understand all the lingo. .... iGuess thats why its hard for me to understand.
    08-08-11 10:40 PM
    I can make it simple.

1. Delete all of your music from your Torch.

2. Make sure your music is organized in iTunes with album art, etc.

3. Connect your Torch to your PC and run BB Desktop Software (version 6.1).

4. Make sure that iTunes is selected as the music source in Desktop Software (under the Device menu, select Device Options, then click on the Media tab in the resulting dialog box).

5. Click on Music under Media Sync. Make sure that All Music is selected at the top of the resulting dialog box. Also make sure that every Playlist you want to bring over from iTunes is selected under Playlist.

6. Click on Sync on the lower right of the screen and wait for Desktop Software to finish syncing.

08-09-11 07:31 AM
    You have come to the right place. I have almost 4700 songs on my Torch and each and every one of them has album art.

Your main problem is that you are using drag and drop. Use Media Sync on Desktop Software 6.1 because, among other things, it is designed to pull the album artwork associated with your songs from iTunes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also, the best way to ensure that your songs absolutely, positively have the correct album artwork associated with them is to use MP3 Tag. (In my experience, it's a lot easier and a lot surer than adding/editing album artwork in iTunes -- you can drag the artwork from your browser window and drop it into the MP3 Tag artwork window.) In MP3 Tag, load up the songs (or albums as the case may be) that you are having problems with from where they are located on your PC (not your Torch) and check to see if there really is album artwork for the particular song or album. Sometimes you will see album art in Windows Explorer but it won't for some reason actually be truly associated with the file. If you see it in MP3 Tag, you'll know it is part of the file, and when you add the album art to the song/album and save them, it will be instantly reflected in iTunes when you play the song there or click on Get Info for the song/album.

Additionally, and here is the root source of your problem, know that your Torch is primarily set up to read album artwork via a file called folder.jpg, which Media Sync puts into each album folder on your Torch. Media Sync folders on the Torch contain subfolders by artist, and within each artist folder are folders for albums by that artist. The folder.jpg files are within those album folders. If you are using drag and drop and using your own folder organization, you are asking for what you have right now -- catch as catch can in connection with album art. Also, if your mp3 files are not tagged properly with artist (I would even include the separate "album artist" tag) and particularly album info, you are just compounding your problems.

Lastly, do not edit files and folders on your Torch. Do it on the PC with MP3 Tag and then iTunes, then use Media Sync.

So, given the state your music is in right now on your Torch, your best bet would be to use MP3 Tag to make sure all of your songs and albums are tagged correctly, then check in iTunes to verify that everything is organized and tagged as it should be (i.e., it will reflect any mistakes you may have made in tagging songs in MP3 Tag). Connect your Torch and delete all of your music off of it -- at this point, having f-d things up with drag and drop, it's the only way. Then, with iTunes still running, run Desktop Software. Go to Device > Device Options > Media and, under Media on My Computer, make sure iTunes is selected as the Music source. Close out the dialog box and click on Music under Media Sync. Make sure "All Music" is checked at the top of the dialog box, then check all of the Playlists you want to add (note that checking All Music is sufficient to get everything you have on iTunes onto your Torch; if you don't want all of your iTunes music put on your Torch, you will have to uncheck All Music and check the Artists you want individually). Then click on Sync.

I had a few lingering artwork problems, and wiped all of my songs off of my Torch over the weekend. It took an hour and a half to re-sync all of them back on with Desktop Software, so it's not a terribly time consuming procedure and it's well worth your while. Plus, when you add new songs to iTunes going forward, you can use Wi-Fi Music Sync to get them to your Torch.
    All I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I had a few stubborn songs that kept grabbing the wrong album art, even using Media Monkey! This was the only thing I hadn't done (Media Sync) & it worked! I must have spent 3 hours last night fixing a handful of songs.

THIS is why I love Crackberry & all you Crackheads!!
    azzir.bb likes this.
    11-07-11 07:43 PM
    Well now I have a new issue that's driving me crazy! DM is working fine to transfer the music, but every time I go to transfer new songs over, it removes the last batch I transferred before transferring the new ones! I make sure that the previous batch is unchecked before syncing. I've even tried closing out DM, then restarting to do a fresh transfer. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's very frustrating!

Okay-this makes no sense to me at all. I decided to transfer the new music & leave the boxes checked from my last batch of transfers, & it worked fine! Only the new songs transferred over. I don't get how DM does it, but at least I know not to uncheck the boxes from the last transfer!
    Last edited by Lyls; 11-28-11 at 12:11 PM. Reason: New information
    11-28-11 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD