I have had 4 BB's and wish BB had put the keyboard horizontal.....I use the internet, SMS and texting a ton and.....My 8320 & 8900 typed better than my 9700 because of the spacing. Horizontal could have meant putting the number keys at the top (instead of sharing them with letter keys) and dramatically surpassed the iPhone in typing speed, looks and make it easier to hold while typing. Has anyone typed on the new HTC slider? Great. Blows any Apple away. Still love you BBerry but let's keep up.
    07-06-10 01:06 AM
    I have had 4 BB's and wish BB had put the keyboard horizontal.....I use the internet, SMS and texting a ton and.....My 8320 & 8900 typed better than my 9700 because of the spacing. Horizontal could have meant putting the number keys at the top (instead of sharing them with letter keys) and dramatically surpassed the iPhone in typing speed, looks and make it easier to hold while typing. Has anyone typed on the new HTC slider? Great. Blows any Apple away. Still love you BBerry but let's keep up.
    I would not say that BB is not keeping up because it is not an horizontal keyboard.
    I think the majority does not like a keyboard that requires 2 hands to type/use.
    07-06-10 04:55 AM
    Three words:

One handed typing.
    07-06-10 06:06 AM
    i type way faster on my blackberry then my wife's iphone. WAY FASTER
    07-06-10 06:15 AM
    One handed so one can txt while driving
    07-06-10 02:23 PM
    I hate typing one hand on the 9700... Nearly impossible for me, or it takes forever and for ever letter I get right, I make 2 typos.... Thats why I use my leg to steer and both hand to type.
    07-06-10 02:31 PM
    I hate typing one hand on the 9700... Nearly impossible for me, or it takes forever and for ever letter I get right, I make 2 typos.... Thats why I use my leg to steer and both hand to type.
    Try holding a coffee and steering with your left hand all while typing and shifting gears with your right in a bouncy Jeep. Now that's some fun.

Can't do that with a landscape keyboard sorry lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 09:05 PM
    One handed typing is cool for texting...I do it all the time.....(but) it is a portable computer in a way and for those long emails and document editing it sucks. You need two to gather any speed, and ibcnul8tr was right, iPhone typing is much worse.
    07-06-10 11:46 PM
    Some of us only have the option for one handed typing

No landscape type keyboards for me!
    07-07-10 06:01 AM
    ...You only have 1 hand? O.o

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-07-10 08:29 AM
    ...You only have 1 hand? O.o

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    no, Ive got two, but only one works for typing due to an accident.
    07-07-10 08:54 AM
    Will the 9800 have the option to turn on a touchscreen keyboard that is horizontal (when the phone is held in landscape style)?

I would not say that BB is not keeping up because it is not an horizontal keyboard.
    I think the majority does not like a keyboard that requires 2 hands to type/use.
    07-07-10 10:15 AM
    Will the 9800 have the option to turn on a touchscreen keyboard that is horizontal (when the phone is held in landscape style)?

from the videos, when its closed, there is a landscape keyboard
    07-07-10 11:03 AM
    Actually, from what I saw of the video Sal posted, the only time you can get anything in landscape is when the physical keyboard is closed.
    07-07-10 12:54 PM
    maybe it depends on the app/screen?
    07-07-10 01:00 PM
    I'm in full agreement brotha. The Motorola Droid 2 Global has the best horizontal slider. I use my BB 9800 for business -- so typing lots of messages is frequent & would definitey prefer the [physical] horizontal slider. If you have hands larger than that of a childs, BB can be a bit challenging (you have no idea how many typing errors I had writing this reply! And I even used the on-screen, horizonta)

03-27-11 06:34 PM
    I can see why this keyboard is the best design for the BB 9800. You need to be able to cradle the phone in your hands while using thumbs to type... i assume this is how most people do it. Its a rather heavy phone to hold and type... If it was a large horizontal keyboard that slid out, your hands are too far apart to reach all the keys easily without setting the phone down on a surface or doing the one finger typing... much slower!! With torch i can easily hold the phone in my hands while typing using left/right thumbs and can do it quickly and easily! Just takes getting used to and bit o practice! I can't type on this using any other fingers...just thumbs
    03-30-11 11:38 PM
    And the mortal gets resurrected after dying in july 7th, 2010.

03-31-11 02:12 AM
    I was using the Nokia N97 mini before i got my first bb with the torch 9800. I must say typing on the side is less misstakes, but keep turning the phone is also a drag. In portrait is used all the time, but switch to landscape for typing is really a pain.

I'm more than happy with the torch and the new way of typing.
    03-31-11 02:45 AM
    While most would prefer a larger keyboard with a landscape slider, one would have to activate the speakerphone or try to hit menu button to browse the web or search for an email making multi-tasking a bit more challenging during a call.

03-31-11 05:58 AM
    If it had been a landscape slider I wouldn't have bought it. in landscape the keyboard is too spread out and hard to type on with just your thumbs.
    03-31-11 07:02 AM
    three words:

One handed typing.
    +1000000000000

03-31-11 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD