Hello,

Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere but after a few hours scouring the internet I can find nothing.

I've just been given a 9800 torch to repair, apparently the display was changed due to a previous botched digitiser repair and now the colours are inverted by default, ie. reversed on the 'normal' contrast setting and normal on 'reverse', however the camera preview is always inverted. Neither the original LCD nor the replacement has a visible part number, could it be an incompatible display or is this likely just a dud screen / something damaged during the process?

Thanks
    07-08-11 08:36 AM
    Hey.. I repair Torches as well. I starting experimenting on mine first, and in the process messed up my LED light. The other day I was able to get another Torch and started taking the parts out of the new one and putting them in my old one until I found which part caused the LED to malfunction. There was two times I did not completely put the phone back together with the screws, but just hooked the LCD flex cable to the motherboard, and put the middle black chassis on good enough to put the battery in. Those two times the LCD was inverted. It was completely white with Blackberry and the progress meter in black. You may want to check and make sure everything is connected very securely, and that the screws are in good. As soon as I put it completely back together, it worked fine.

As for the camera being inverted.. If they damaged it during the digitizer repair, you may need a new flex cable that has the camera stand, plus the camera itself.

Here are some Ebay links for the two:
    New Camera CAM REplacement for BlackBerry 9800 Torch | eBay

OEM Camera Flex Cable Ribbon For Blackberry 9800 Torch | eBay

The default LCD for AT&T should be part number 001/111.
    OEM Blackberry Torch 9800 LCD Display Screen 001/111 US | eBay

Maybe that will help a little! Good luck!
    07-12-11 01:41 PM
    Hi, I think I have the same problem. all videos I try to watch have a "negative" appearance, or reversed. If it is on youtube or if I shoot the video myself. The live camera view on the screen has that negative appearance but the picture once taken is ok (I think only because I have the phone set to negative contrast though) I have tried all the possible settings we all know about as well as battery pulls.

I got this phone in broken condition for cheap. The screen was black (no visible damage) and never turned on. The phone seemed to be fully functional, but the screen never lit up with image at all. I was told it used to work but then it would just intermittently shut off until the point that it never came on again.

I took it for service and was told there was water damage. There was a problem with 3 diodes that drive the display which I think he just heated to re-flow the solder, and replaced the entire slider (screen) assembly (with ribbon).

I've looked all over the internet and this is the only thing I've found that mentions the possibility of specific hardware issue.

I'm going to contact the guy who did the repairs and see what he says but its a long drive to go back there so I'm thinking I'll open it up and check the connections.

Do you have any more details you could share out_of_ideas ? and did cockfoster fix the problem ?

thanks
    10-27-11 02:12 PM
    I got a solution... i got the same problem.... when i changed the ribbon... Its all Done... back to normal... since its a slider phone... the ribbon will alwiz go out.... Just try to go to a phone shop and have the ribbon change... you will solve your problems...
    11-07-11 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD