I have a feeling there are many of you out there that always have an ear (or eye) for technology related news. Especially in the world of smartphones and pda type devices. Even if its Apple, Palm or HTC news, I like to find out what the buzz is about.

The news for today is Apple's response to the customer complaints of reception with the Iphone4. I saw a piece on Good Morning America in which mentioned on Apple's ability to address such an issue and maintain the trust of consumers. Come to think of it, has Apple had any previous issues with their devices like RIM had with the Storm 1, Tour trackballs?

Rumors from people who have actually held and used the 9800 state that the build quality is exceptional and this will be the device to have in 2010. So with all the issues that RIM has had in the past with other devices I think they've learned from their mistakes and will have great success with this device.
    07-16-10 08:11 AM
    For Apple, their first issue was the drop in iPhone pricing back during the 2G days. Since then, I seem to remember reports of faulty/weak cases and discoloration for the white 3G, overheating and short battery life in the 3GS, and a few other minor reports here and there, but nothing that required a separate press conference.

I do hope that RIM learned from past mistakes as well, and I'm sure the 9800 will be an exceptional piece of hardware when it comes out
    Last edited by soccernamlak; 07-16-10 at 10:37 AM.
    07-16-10 10:34 AM
    Apple never dropped the pricing on the iPhone. AT&T just started subsidizing it.
    07-16-10 10:39 AM
    I have a feeling there are many of you out there that always have an ear (or eye) for technology related news. Especially in the world of smartphones and pda type devices. Even if its Apple, Palm or HTC news, I like to find out what the buzz is about.

The news for today is Apple's response to the customer complaints of reception with the Iphone4. I saw a piece on Good Morning America in which mentioned on Apple's ability to address such an issue and maintain the trust of consumers. Come to think of it, has Apple had any previous issues with their devices like RIM had with the Storm 1, Tour trackballs?

Rumors from people who have actually held and used the 9800 state that the build quality is exceptional and this will be the device to have in 2010. So with all the issues that RIM has had in the past with other devices I think they've learned from their mistakes and will have great success with this device.
    It's hard to compare the 2 brands... in the span that it took apple to release 4 phones, how many has RIM had? of course the more products you come out with, the more prone you are to issues. But like you said, I am sure RIM learns from their mistake just like any other company does.
    The only scary part will be the sliding mechanism, since this is a first for RIM. I hope they did their homework on this.
    I work outside with my phone so it get banged up pretty good.
    07-16-10 12:02 PM
    If i remember right apple had a really big problem with the initial iphone security. it's just a haze of a memory, but i remember hearing the phone could be wirelessly hijacked and used by just about anyone.
    07-16-10 12:37 PM
    Having just played with a Samsung Galaxy S variant (T-Mobile's) for the last 24 hours, I can only hope that RIM has looked at options it has for power, speed and screen resolution when they started the 9800 development!

Very nice phone, but Android is not what I need or want: I'm still a CrackHead for all the features and native abilities of the platform. Still . . . Samsung has one **** of a lot of cutting-edge technology in that device: Shame RIM doesn't source some of those parts for the 9800!
    07-16-10 02:43 PM
    On the heels of Apple's disappointing response to the antenna issue, I think RIM should officially announce that the Blackberry 9800 will be released on <insert date here> donning OS 6.
    07-16-10 03:00 PM
    Apple never dropped the pricing on the iPhone. AT&T just started subsidizing it.
    Oh, Apple dropped the price and their were alot of unhappy campers.

Apple - To all iPhone customers
    07-16-10 08:22 PM
    ^^^^ And this was for the original Iphone.
    07-16-10 08:23 PM
    I've been upgrade eligible for over a week now and am sitting on a 18-plus month-old 9000 that I pray keeps on working as well as it always has, but if the 9800 doesn't come out soon, I'll -- I'll -- I'll just have to keep waiting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 09:59 PM
    I've been upgrade eligible for over a week now and am sitting on a 18-plus month-old 9000 that I pray keeps on working as well as it always has, but if the 9800 doesn't come out soon, I'll -- I'll -- I'll just have to keep waiting.

Same here except my upgrade became eligible on June 18th... and I will keep on waiting!
    07-16-10 11:59 PM
    i am due an upgrade sept 5 so i will wait til then to get it cause i have faith that it will be released near the end of aug i have my 9000 that is working fine and hope it continues too
    07-17-10 08:24 AM
    Oh, Apple dropped the price and their were alot of unhappy campers.

Apple - To all iPhone customers
    Leave it to Apple customers to **tch and moan about a price drop 2 months after release? Just goes to show that many Apple consumers are clueless when it comes to the logistics of the technology industries. They simply bought it because it's shiny and made my Apple. Maybe if they weren't so anxious to be the "first" to have an iPhone they wouldn't have gotten screwed.

You pay a premium to be "first". To get on/off a plane, to be at the front of the line at a club, etc. If you're patient, and willing to wait, you'll probably save a few bucks.
    07-17-10 08:33 AM
    You pay a premium to be "first". To get on/off a plane, to be at the front of the line at a club, etc. If you're patient, and willing to wait, you'll probably save a few bucks.
    You're all making a point about all those idiots waiting in line and getting it first, sure hope that doesn't hold true when i'm waiting at the door for the 9800. lol
    07-17-10 12:17 PM
    You're all making a point about all those idiots waiting in line and getting it first, sure hope that doesn't hold true when i'm waiting at the door for the 9800. lol
    I am waiting for the release date so I can schedule vacation time :P
    07-17-10 03:42 PM
    /me shakes head at BOTH of you.
    07-17-10 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD