I have been tracking this phone for over a month; looking for every piece of information on it. Up until this point; I haven't been as excited about a phone since the Blackberry Bold 9000 - which I still own, and love. I don't recall the pre-release reviews on the Bold as I didn't find this site until AFTER I purchased it. If anyone was on here back then, was it much of the same with the reviews?

There are rumors that 2011 is when RIM/Blackberry plan on kicking down the door. If I were to buy the 9800 now with a new 2 year contract. Would I be allowed to upgrade to something new in 2011 if the rumors do come out to be true? Or does an upgrade only occur when you're close or at the end of your previous 2 year contract?
    08-04-10 04:44 PM
    Solution: Buy one without a contract and save your upgrade.
    08-04-10 05:21 PM
    Agreed. You should take advantage of the fact that you're on a GSM network. You could always resell the phone later on anyways to recuperate some of the cost.
    08-04-10 05:24 PM
    thats what im doing with my 9700. Selling it on ebay to get the money for the torch.
    08-05-10 09:22 PM
    The guys trashing it are dummies. I love my 9700 and I've loved all my BBs. I'm also growing fond of my ip4 (my previous iphones never grew on me). So I'm not taking sides-- but to trash a phone with all the power of a Blackberry...touchscreen to boot...and a big update in OS--- you have to be a real crap head.
    So what I'm saying is-- if you love your 9000, you'll probably LOVE the 9800. Don't listen to these guys-- it's easy to criticize.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 09:41 PM
    There are rumors that 2011 is when RIM/Blackberry plan on kicking down the door.
    i hear this a lot. and whenever i do, the first thing that comes to mind is what do ppl define as groundbreaking, stellar, or etc.

especially after the storm and the torch hype, im going to take everything with a heaping pile of salt, at least more so than ever with unsubstantiated future os releases (BB Jam as CB Kevin likes to call the os)
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 08-05-10 at 10:26 PM.
    08-05-10 10:20 PM
    The guys trashing it are dummies. I love my 9700 and I've loved all my BBs. I'm also growing fond of my ip4 (my previous iphones never grew on me). So I'm not taking sides-- but to trash a phone with all the power of a Blackberry...touchscreen to boot...and a big update in OS--- you have to be a real crap head.
    So what I'm saying is-- if you love your 9000, you'll probably LOVE the 9800. Don't listen to these guys-- it's easy to criticize.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i too dont see no reason why to chuck a perfectly good BB out the window, especially since we dont know how os6 runs on 9780 or the 9700
    08-05-10 10:27 PM
    There are rumors that 2011 is when RIM/Blackberry plan on kicking down the door. If I were to buy the 9800 now with a new 2 year contract. Would I be allowed to upgrade to something new in 2011 if the rumors do come out to be true? Or does an upgrade only occur when you're close or at the end of your previous 2 year contract?
    I believe you can opt for an early upgrade, or exception upgrade which is what you guys call it.
    08-05-10 11:27 PM
    The Torch is just their way of introducing the world to OS6...they already have prototype phones with 1+Ghz processors, magnetometers, etc...once they release a phone with this OS and beefed up hardware, they will be back in the game for real...
    08-06-10 12:30 AM
    The Torch is just their way of introducing the world to OS6...they already have prototype phones with 1+Ghz processors, magnetometers, etc...once they release a phone with this OS and beefed up hardware, they will be back in the game for real...
    Sources please?
    08-06-10 02:06 AM
    the way rim develops phones, it will be at least 2 yrs before it hits a carrier
    08-06-10 03:19 AM
    I believe you can opt for an early upgrade, or exception upgrade which is what you guys call it.
    I think a better term for this phone would be "Early Downgrade"
    08-06-10 05:40 AM
    I think a better term for this phone would be "Early Downgrade"
    Funny that a Storm user would say that. If there was ever a BB phone that should be entirely obliterated from the collective human consciousness, it's that obscenity of a device. SurePress and no keyboard, indeed . . . .
    08-06-10 06:49 AM
    i think a better term for this phone would be "early downgrade"
    funny that a storm user would say that. If there was ever a bb phone that should be entirely obliterated from the collective human consciousness, it's that obscenity of a device. Surepress and no keyboard, indeed . . . .
    +1 :d

08-06-10 09:21 AM
    I've always thought this, and have been saying it all along.The 9800 is just "dipping there toe n the water"
    Regardless what ppl say and think they "believe", RIM is not stupid.
    I, personally, think they're playing it right and safe.
    Baby steps....don't flame out....then finish it off with a left jab to the chin.
    Thats my story and I'm sticking to it....
    08-06-10 09:34 AM
    I've always thought this, and have been saying it all along.The 9800 is just "dipping there toe n the water"
    Baby steps....don't flame out....then finish it off with a left jab to the chin.
    I would tend to agree with you. There's good reason to be optimistic for upcoming devices
    08-06-10 09:45 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/q-...screen-509691/

I have been keeping recommending iPhone 4 to my girlfriend, who is going to get her Master degree from Columbia Univ and step into business world. And she said, "wow, it looks wonderful but too naive/childish for me".

And then I bought her the iPod Touch, just for casual use. (I would make Torch a great surprise since she always wants a Blackberry. Samsung sucks btw, we have had 3 Samsung phones and they are all crap - hardware-wise).

I love iPhone, but I could not live without a keyboard phone. Sorry Droid and iPhone fanboys, touchscreen just sucks for business users/ users mainly do texing and little cell-photo-taking.

If you are not a college boy, and you are a real businessman, I bet you would be as busy as me so 40% of your time is for emails/texting/notepad/calendar, 30% for phone calls, 20% or less for web browsing, and 10% for enjoying music when driving (or on subways while reading newspapers) and other multimedia functions.

And seriously, I only use my phone to take pictures of notes on whiteboard or product labels when I don't have a camera at hand. And if you really like taking photos, DSLR would do you good.

Do you really need a 800x600 display for texting?phone calls?. And how much do you rely on web browsing by cell phone? It's just for checking some information when you are outside.

Let's see what Torch does best from all kinds of reviews: Gizmo, Engadget, BGR, Crackberry....

1). Top notch keyboard - good for 40% of time texting/emails/notepad/calendar

2). Great call quality - good for another 30% of time, and no drop calls/death grips

3). WebKit Browser - enough for 20% of time web browsing - after all we all own laptops (you don't have one???)

4). Improved media experience - I am ok with just listening to music. I seldom watch videos on handheld devices - only nerds do it often.

Hence, the bottom line: is there any other good keyboard phone out there? (with a touch screen and not as ugly/huge as Droid)?

=) CPU is fine, Screen resolution is fine (I am really ok with texting and managing my business life with Bold's screen resolution).

After all, do you really spend 80% of your time on cell phone while you have friends and can do all the things on a computer?

Just be practical. Enough is enough.

--------------------------

Edit:

PS, for people in Chicago, you must know how hard it is to take off gloves and dial from a touchscreen phone in winter... Your fingers will fall off, literally. =P

Sad that I have to leave my Bold's spacious keyboard. QQ

To tech geeks: Droid is the best for you... you should actually DIY your own phone, no kidding.

To multimedia/gaming fashion boys: go iPhone! Hooray!
    Last edited by dwadwa; 08-06-10 at 09:59 AM.
    08-06-10 09:50 AM
    Well said, Dwadwa :-)
    08-06-10 09:55 AM
    I actually use my phone to surf the web when I am at home often as well.... just when I would rather not turn on the laptop. but I still like my 9700 and will consider the 9800 if it should come to tmo.
    08-06-10 10:03 AM
    The cell phone market has definitely exploded in the past 2 years without a doubt. The constant flood of Android devices and the continuing iPhone saga, etc. I believe the answer is contained in the perspective of the whole picture. If you enjoy and are a Blackberry fan, the Torch will be a treat for you and you will be happy I'm sure.

You have to understand that when Crackberry reviews a new Blackberry it's hardcore fans that are sitting down doing the review. And there will always be bias towards what they love. I'm not saying their reviews aren't fair, but you are coming into the review a Blackberry lover and are so excited by any new Blackberry.

All these other reviews with lukewarm feelings towards the Torch have merit as well. Realize these other sites, unlike Crackberry, review all these new devices that are flooding the market. Their bias is reviewing these devices based on CPU performance, screen res, OS usability, etc. So yes their review will reflect that the Torch is definitely underpowered compared to many other smartphones these days.

It's just the nature of how things are. If you absolutely love Blackberry and want a Torch, go for it. You will most likely love the device and Blackberry 6. But if you want something really new and fresh in the cell phone world, than yeah most reviews are right. You aren't going to experience blinding speeds of a 1+ GHz CPU or the clarity of a screen that rivals a flat panel TV, that just isn't the Torch.

As far as RIM playing it safe, taking baby steps and then jabbing left, I'm not so sure that is the best business move. The market data is increasingly showing RIM stalling and its competitors growing at an ever increasing rate. And all the lukewarm reviews out there for the Torch aren't going to help RIM attract the general cell phone consumer looking for a device. RIM needs to quickly become more aggressive in my honest opinion. In the strict sense of what was the top tech at the time, the Torch should of been released 2 years ago. And the Storm 3 should have a super high res display with at least 1 GHz CPU if RIM is seriously looking to compete in the market.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 08-06-10 at 10:42 AM.
    08-06-10 10:36 AM
    I will say, I won't personally make any great strides to own one. But this will sell to a much larger audience than in the past.
    08-06-10 10:39 AM
    Originally Posted by Average Joe View
    Sources please?
    Sources please?
    Ok, maybe I should have said "I bet they have prototype phones..."...

however, their upcoming "Blackpad" or whatever you wanna call it is said to have a 1Ghz processor...1080 HD video playback....front and back cameras...and possible slide out integrated keyboard...So Im sure if they are building hardware like this, they will integrate it into their new phones...

China Business News � 1GHz Processor and 1080p – the Configurations of Blackpad are Exposed

Its also been widely reported that the Storm 4 (2011 release) will have a beefed up processor, magnetometer, and a tremendously upgraded GPS to compete with Google�s product....

You can find multiple sources on this with a quick google search..

RIM seems to be mythodical in their approach...like others have said, it may not be the best route to take...but I think 2011 could be the year when they are finally running with the big dogs.
    08-06-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD