I heard that there is discussion of a 9800 refresh after the beginning of the year. I only heard this from one person, and have not seen anything online.

Thoughts?
    Umm..this phone is 2 months old and your wondering about a refresh? Let's dig this thread out in a year for discussion then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 12:37 PM
    as for hardware complaints people shouldn't be complaining about the cpu until they've tested the device...0 lag...the os is designed to run very efficiently therefore not needing a ridiculous speed processor...i do agree on the screen but cmon its a phone...if u want "retina" display which is just some name steve jobs made up then get the iphone...if u r an average user and don't sit and watch movies on ur phone all day its not going to make a difference...in all honesty i've been on a few flights with my phone and watched a couple movies on the flights with no problem image looked great.
    Hardware lacks in display but cpu works fine for the os higher isn't always better...rim took the speed the processor needed...as for the clock spinning always i haven't had that issue yet and i do have a quite a bit of apps installed...maybe u have too many apps running?
    10-01-10 12:38 PM
    You have very Valid points, and i will not fight with you on that, but my problem is this. Apple and Android have thousands of applications, all of them are found in one place. the app store or the market (OS dependent) with blackberry you have to look here, nope... look there, nope... check this site, nope.... ITS A CLUSTER when it comes to finding applications.

And if RIM was as easy to produce applications for, like Apple and Android why do you see 20,000 + applications for those two platforms and fraction of those for Research in Motion.

there has to be a reason that no one makes decent applications for RIM products.
    Sorry I disagree with wanting Apples app store model and app "authorization".... It's one the main reasons I will never look at an apple device. Sure the end user who doesn't care or doesn't know any better might love it, but I am not them.

Being able to get apps from more than one location is a bonus and not a con. Also, apple never had a "free install" system in the first place. BB started that way and appworld came later, so you can't expect the app aggregation to work like that because it didn't start like that in the first place and there is nothing preventing developers from hosting apps elsewhere, which Apple basically restricts anyone from doing...
    10-01-10 12:51 PM
    Umm..this phone is 2 months old and your wondering about a refresh? Let's dig this thread out in a year for discussion then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sooo - this is your way of saying the person who mentioned this to me has been misinformed?
    10-01-10 01:20 PM
    Sooo - this is your way of saying the person who mentioned this to me has been misinformed?
    Well i'm not saying anyone's misinformed. I would be, however, VERY surprised if RIM released a refresh of the 9800 a mere 6 - 8 months after the initial release.Basically RIM would already be sitting down redesigning this thing in order to have it out in 6 months. We've still yet to see the Storm 2 refresh in stores yet, and that phones been out quite awhile now.
    10-01-10 02:29 PM
    as for hardware complaints people shouldn't be complaining about the cpu until they've tested the device...0 lag...the os is designed to run very efficiently therefore not needing a ridiculous speed processor...i do agree on the screen but cmon its a phone...if u want "retina" display which is just some name steve jobs made up then get the iphone...if u r an average user and don't sit and watch movies on ur phone all day its not going to make a difference...in all honesty i've been on a few flights with my phone and watched a couple movies on the flights with no problem image looked great.
    Hardware lacks in display but cpu works fine for the os higher isn't always better...rim took the speed the processor needed...as for the clock spinning always i haven't had that issue yet and i do have a quite a bit of apps installed.
    My sentiments exactly (although I think the display is just fine also). I have to laugh at how people just look at the specs on paper and render it useless, it's really pathetic. These complaints about the hardware have become a total joke, and they're usually from people who have no clue what they're talking about in general or people who have never even touched the device. I've had the phone since launch day in August and it has worked flawlessly the entire time (well, since the first OS upgrade actually). No lag, no excessive spinning clock (I only see it when downloading/installing an app or theme), it's quick and responsive, never dropped a call, call quality is pristine, it's basically all I could ask for in a phone. With the way the phone runs now, I don't see any advantage whatsoever in a faster processor, only the disadvantage of higher battery drain.
    10-01-10 02:51 PM
    I guarantee most of the people complaining about the CPU are regurgitating blog posts AND don't own the device, or never went past .141....
    10-01-10 03:51 PM
    RIM wont release a phone with all the bells and whistles, they always filter release products so it looks they are re-inventing themself later down the line, like the storm 1 for example, i mean was it so hard to stick wi fi on it in the first place? stupid.
    10-01-10 04:37 PM
    RIM wont release a phone with all the bells and whistles, they always filter release products so it looks they are re-inventing themself later down the line, like the storm 1 for example, i mean was it so hard to stick wi fi on it in the first place? stupid.
    That was a carrier call not RIM. The 9000 had wifi on it, both VZ and Sprint were very anti-wifi up until the 8530/9650.
    10-01-10 04:41 PM
    Well i'm not saying anyone's misinformed. I would be, however, VERY surprised if RIM released a refresh of the 9800 a mere 6 - 8 months after the initial release.Basically RIM would already be sitting down redesigning this thing in order to have it out in 6 months. We've still yet to see the Storm 2 refresh in stores yet, and that phones been out quite awhile now.
    That's the information I am looking for. Thank you.

The person is my boss who has been all about these Torches - then was upset the other day when I came into work because he had read and had a friend tell him that there was going to be a refresh at the beginning of the year.

I haven't been able to confirm any of this, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!
    10-01-10 07:58 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD