I wonder if RIM even has a flagship phone anymore .. everyone used to think it was the Bold 9000 then 9700 came out and it did not really have the same presence .. even though it was a great phone.

now we have this 9800 slider on the way and they are featuring it at the invite conference with AT&T..

I am wondering when its going to hit rogers...
    07-27-10 08:37 PM
    The 9700 may not have had the same presence... I kinda see what you mean, however, it is better than the 9000 in every way. Except for the big handed people that may miss the keyboard a bit.
    Should hit Rogers around the samr time. I believe AND hope so. :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 09:27 PM
    i imagine it will be with os6
    07-27-10 09:56 PM
    All the videos show it with os6. To release it with os5 makes absolutely no sense.
    Last edited by Rikter; 07-27-10 at 10:03 PM. Reason: being nicer
    07-27-10 10:01 PM
    Yep, it'll be the new flagship phone. It's pretty much guaranteed.
    07-27-10 10:54 PM
    shouldn't be considered a flagship phone when it's only available on one carrier.
    07-27-10 11:05 PM
    AT&T, Rogers... I count 2 and I'm sure there will be more to come. If RIM wants to compete against the iphone that is available on pretty much all carriers, it'll should be released on a lot of carriers. Maybe not at first, but afterwards. Time will tell. RIM hasn't even officially announced this so it is all speculation.
    07-27-10 11:33 PM
    shouldn't be considered a flagship phone when it's only available on one carrier.
    I don't think the exclusivity deals we're talking about last forever, right?
    07-28-10 12:29 AM
    That statement does not make any sense!
    07-28-10 05:21 AM
    i think the norm is about 3 months. when everyone else starts getting them, the white one will probably be sent out to ATT
    07-28-10 06:31 AM
    Why do they need to have a flagship phone anyways? Who cares....
    07-28-10 09:36 AM
    let's hope not.

That statement does not make any sense!
    sure it does. my point is that their "flagship" device should not be restricted to one carrier. RIM was smart with the 9700.

AT&T, Rogers... I count 2 and I'm sure there will be more to come. If RIM wants to compete against the iphone that is available on pretty much all carriers, it'll should be released on a lot of carriers. Maybe not at first, but afterwards. Time will tell. RIM hasn't even officially announced this so it is all speculation.
    AT&T and Rogers are both exclusive in their respective countries.
    07-28-10 10:21 AM
    Why are people griping about the exclusive deal? Its rumored to be for three months...is that really a big deal? Look at the IPhone it was exclusive to AT&T for what four years before it was rumored to be going to other carriers. All I am saying is just be glad Rim doesn't have any deals like that with one carrier.

Remember its only exclusive to one carrier in the US but not for Canada, Europe and other countries around the world so that pretty much contradicts your statement there about being on just one carrier.
    Last edited by jstarett; 07-28-10 at 10:42 AM.
    07-28-10 10:40 AM
    Why are people griping about the exclusive deal? Its rumored to be for three months...is that really a big deal? Look at the IPhone it was exclusive to AT&T for what four years before it was rumored to be going to other carriers. All I am saying is just be glad Rim doesn't have any deals like that with one carrier.

Remember its only exclusive to one carrier in the US but not for Canada, Europe and other countries around the world so that pretty much contradicts your statement there about being on just one carrier.
    does the storm ring any bells?

i had assumed that Rogers was exclusive as well. if not, my mistake. i don't pay much attention to the Canadian carriers.
    07-28-10 11:59 AM
    does the storm ring any bells?

i had assumed that Rogers was exclusive as well. if not, my mistake. i don't pay much attention to the Canadian carriers.
    What does it matter whether the 9800 is exclusive to AT&T for a few months? That has no bearing on whether one can consider the phone the flagship. Obviously, if RIM and AT&T are hosting a "special event" in NYC to introduce the darn thing, RIM is considering the 9800 its new flagship.
    07-28-10 01:53 PM
    What does it matter whether the 9800 is exclusive to AT&T for a few months? That has no bearing on whether one can consider the phone the flagship. Obviously, if RIM and AT&T are hosting a "special event" in NYC to introduce the darn thing, RIM is considering the 9800 its new flagship.
    So then why only restrict your "flagship" device to one carrier? I don't and never will understand these exclusive strategies. why NOT make it available to as many of your customers as quickly as possible? iPhone sales will absolutely multiply exponentially when they expand to other carriers - are sales numbers not the main focus when putting out a product or am I missing something?

Three months will be tolerable, but if it's any longer than that RIM's going to **** off a lot of people - as if they haven't done that enough lately.
    Last edited by bulls2213; 07-28-10 at 02:22 PM.
    07-28-10 02:14 PM
    So then why only restrict your "flagship" device to one carrier? I don't and never will understand these exclusive strategies. why NOT make it available to as many of your customers as quickly as possible? iPhone sales will absolutely multiply exponentially when they expand to other carriers - are sales numbers not the main focus when putting out a product or am I missing something?

Three months will be tolerable, but if it's any longer than that RIM's going to **** off a lot of people - as if they haven't done that enough lately.
    The carriers pay a ton of money to RIM to have exclusivity. Mobile operators benefit because having access to the hottest new handset can draw new customers and keep existing customers who might have looked elsewhere. RIM makes out on the deal, as does the provider.

Worked pretty well with the iPhone and AT&T, no?
    Last edited by Esoteric1; 07-28-10 at 02:50 PM.
    07-28-10 02:46 PM
    The carriers pay a ton of money to RIM to have exclusivity. Mobile operators benefit because having access to the hottest new handset can draw new customers and keep existing customers who might have looked elsewhere. RIM makes out on the deal, as does the provider.

Worked pretty well with the iPhone and AT&T, no?
    Succinctly put - and so very true! AT&T is probably paying quite a premium - either in $$$ or guaranteed units purchased from RIM - to have that exclusivity.
    07-28-10 03:05 PM
    Succinctly put - and so very true! AT&T is probably paying quite a premium - either in $$$ or guaranteed units purchased from RIM - to have that exclusivity.
    If memory serves, there were some actual numbers disclosed publicly at the time Apple and AT&T entered into their deal - I can't remember the details, I only remember thinking it was an ungodly amount of money...enough to make me wonder whether AT&T could ever make any money on the iPhone...
    07-28-10 04:35 PM
    att is the largest company in the us, the question should be.... why not?
    they have the money to do what they want.
    frankly, if the iphone was on another carrier, the rate's would be high. i am not in contract, but no one can beat att with all the junk i have on my bill for work. it's been out long enough that if someone wanted it that bad, they could have switched and got it.

did everyone whine this much about the storms being exclusive?
    07-28-10 04:48 PM
    ...did everyone whine this much about the storms being exclusive?
    Well, I don't know if they whined "this much", but there was definitely whining going on...
    07-28-10 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD