my BB9800 has 512MB but I only have 22MB left, I have less than 20 'apps' and I have added up the advertised size of all the 'apps' and they come to less than 80MB so why does the phone say I have only 22MB left?

I have about 800 songs saved on the phone.

Following advice from esteemed members of this forum I 'unticked' the compression button in memory to stop my phone from freezing and giving the spinning black clock. This solved the freezing problem but my memory has disappeared and this too seems to have slowed the phone down.

Any suggestions? I am saving up for a Q10 or Z10 but in the meantime I am forced to use my trusty 9800
    06-07-13 06:49 AM
    ...do a 30+ second battery pull (without turning the device off), and I bet it solve part of the issue.
    After doing the battery pull, it will take about 2-3 minutes to get back to the main screen. That is normal since it is clearing the memory, etc.
    Ozoro likes this.
    06-07-13 07:12 AM
    ...do a 30+ second battery pull (without turning the device off), and I bet it solve part of the issue.
    After doing the battery pull, it will take about 2-3 minutes to get back to the main screen. That is normal since it is clearing the memory, etc.
    i owned a 9800 torch and never had problems , a bit regretting i sold it .. it was highly stable !
    never had memory leak
    i suggest you do and os update firstly you should do a wipe with bbsak , make a back up first

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    Ozoro likes this.
    06-12-13 06:37 AM
    [QUOTE=codename_artemis;8639031]i owned a 9800 torch and never had problems , a bit regretting i sold it .. it was highly stable !
    never had memory leak
    i suggest you do and os update firstly you should do a wipe with bbsak , make a back up first

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I have done a full wipe using BBSAK and re-installed the OS6 via Desktop Manager. However the re-install appears to have a number of gaps, most important of these is I am now missing my Password Keeper. Any suggestions how I can get this back?

By the way after the wipe and re-install I now have over 100MB of memory, and my phone appears to working much smoother. - thank you.

But I really do need my password keeper back.
    06-13-13 08:27 AM
    [QUOTE=Ozoro;8645307]
    i owned a 9800 torch and never had problems , a bit regretting i sold it .. it was highly stable !
    never had memory leak

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I have done a full wipe using BBSAK and re-installed the OS6 via Desktop Manager. However the re-install appears to have a number of gaps, most important of these is I am now missing my Password Keeper. Any suggestions how I can get this back?

By the way after the wipe and re-install I now have over 100MB of memory, and my phone appears to working much smoother. - thank you.

But I really do need my password keeper back.
    hi , password keeper as I remember can also be reinstalled via desktop manager
    06-14-13 03:32 AM
    No one asked so I will; Do you save your texts and emails and if so how many are there? I recall an issue from a while back where a young lady NEVER deleted her texts and had this problem. She literally had thousands of them saved.

The solution, I think was to have her backup the device and then use DM to clear the databases.
    MobileMadness002 and Ozoro like this.
    06-20-13 06:45 PM
    Just to add to amazinglygraceless's comments, I agree about the messages/email thing.

I know you mentioned already about getting about 100mb free, and that's great.

I have about 40 some-odd apps on my 9800 beyond the apps that come with the OS normally, and I still have about 220mb free. Music wouldn't be a problem as those are only stored on the built-in 4GB media card or an added SD card if you so configured it for that. Even apps that cache files (like the BlackBerry News app) usually store them on that 4GB memory and not the 512mb ram memory.

However, any messages, emails, and calendar items do get saved in databases stored in the 512mb ram memory. To see how big the databases can get, go into "Options" > "Device and Status Information" > at that screen, click the "menu" (BB symbol) button and select "Database Sizes". All those items listed are saved in that 512mb of device ram. Mine is currently just under 5mb total (shown at the top). The messages and SMS messages and attachment data are the largest ram hogging items in my phone. The address book is surprisingly small - only about 130Kb for over 250 contacts. I usually delete emails off my phone that are more than a couple of months old, I get a relatively large number of work emails (that I get over BIS - I'm not on BES) over just a few days, and I don't really need them on my phone beyond several months. I've seen the messages database file grow to over 20mb once when I wasn't clearing old emails out regularly.

Just something to look into.
    amazinglygraceless and Ozoro like this.
    06-21-13 10:54 AM
    Thanks joeldf

I was in a hurry when I replied so I really appreciate your awesome step by step.
    06-21-13 02:18 PM
    Thanks joeldf

I was in a hurry when I replied so I really appreciate your awesome step by step.
    people just use blackberry protect , it is the best thing ever .. it backups contacts text mails and so on

Ozoro likes this.
    06-22-13 03:00 AM
    people just use blackberry protect , it is the best thing ever .. it backups contacts text mails and so on

We're not really talking about backing up the phone in a general sense. It's about clearing out the phone to get more space in ram. AG's post about backing up was so the OP won't lose anything before clearing it off the phone. Protect is about getting it all back on the phone, which kind of defeats our purpose here.

Besides, BB Protect actually does not back up emails - not even what accounts you had . Texts, yes, but not emails. At least not on the legacy OS. Don't know if it's any different on BB10.
    Ozoro likes this.
    06-22-13 10:11 AM
    Thank you guys for al your help, especially AG and JD.
    Yes my problem is my email and text messages. Database size is 130000KB, thats 130MB I believe.
    Am loathe to remove them even though the emails are obviously on my computer and relevant server, but as self employed e-retailer, immediate access to emails records can be important and I couldn't think of where to start my deletion.
    I fear I am to become a 'hoarder'
    Does the Z10 have a bigger memory cache?
    06-22-13 01:14 PM
    You can also go into Options, Device, Device and Status information. Press the BB button, then select database sizes. This will report how much data is saved by application. You might focus on your email, calendar. Also check your SMS messages, and phone call logs and history.

Hmmm.... I see Joel actually said this earlier. Not sure how I overlooked it.
    Last edited by saudadeii; 06-28-13 at 06:37 PM.
    Ozoro likes this.
    06-22-13 04:26 PM