So I currently rock a Pearl 8110, and I am planning to upgrade to the Torch. I tried it out last week at the store and I think it will work well for me. My question is about the AT&T data plans. I currently have the unlimited usage plan, and I only use about 300MB/month. I know that my usage will increase a great deal once I have the Torch (and a viable web browser). But how much?

I ask because, as I'm sure many of you know, Amazon is currently selling the Torch for $99 and no activation fee. The catch is that you have to switch data plans, so I would have to give up the unlimited plan. So, do I save money now on the phone and fees (and drop my bill a little) and risk the data overage? Or do I go to the AT&T store and pay the extra $100 + activation to keep my plan?

With my current phone, 2GB would be more than enough, but I know my data usage will increase with the Torch. The question is: how much will it increase? Obviously, without a crystal ball, that's anyone's guess, but I'm wondering whether those of you who have the torch (or a 9700) find that 2GB is enough data. I can access my home wifi, so that should help, but I'm still unsure.

Thanks for any opinions or advice.
    08-22-10 07:36 PM
    I too was just recently forced to drop down from my unlimited plan to the 2GB plan. I have found at least for me that it has not affected me very much. I just monitor it more closely then before and find my self using wifi every chance i get (something that i would never do before).

My typical usage using the cell connection (not wifi) is browsing to about 5 different sites a day to read all the articles of the day. using the google calendar website and even streaming pandora prob about 15 hours of a month.

Then obviously receiving all my email every day.

hope that helps a little bit
    08-22-10 07:47 PM
    keep in mind how quickly technology advances. three or four years ago, reliable streaming audio and video on a phone was a dream. imagine what we'll be able to do three or four years from now. you may not need/want the unlimited plan now, but you probably will a few years from now and it won't be available if you give it up now. The decision isn't really a today decision, it's a few years from now decision.
    08-22-10 08:03 PM
    If you are afraid of going over your data allowance, then you'll need to use your WiFi connection more.
    08-22-10 08:07 PM
    Isn't is amazing that as we become more and more reliant on having an always on instant connection to all types of data the companies that procide access to all that data continue to limit how much we can use.

Seems like a step backwards to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 08:08 PM
    Isn't is amazing that as we become more and more reliant on having an always on instant connection to all types of data the companies that procide access to all that data continue to limit how much we can use.

Seems like a step backwards to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed--I had this same thought!
    Thanks for the input, everyone.
    08-22-10 08:16 PM
    This was my toughest obstical coming from Sprint; but on my 8350i I only used .02G, so I figured I should be OK. Plus, I don't really stream music/video often.
    08-22-10 08:58 PM
    Greatly depends on what you do.... of course

I used 1324.97MB in my first 10 days... my girlfriend has used 36.27MB

I do download podcasts and have listened to some streaming radio, the Twitter, the Facebook, some RSS feeds, browsing, emails, etc.

My girlfriend really just reads the Twitter and the Facebook and some emails.

I did upgrade BBM and the Facebook app over the air today with App World, so that will add 10MB to her account tonight

But yes, use WiFi if you're ever concerned, or that $100 savings will soon disappear if you go over the 200mb or 2gb allotment.
    08-22-10 09:25 PM
    The 2gig plan is for tethering. you can still get unlimited blackberry data without tethering.
    08-22-10 09:31 PM
    The 2gig plan is for tethering. you can still get unlimited blackberry data without tethering.
    No.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, inquiries, and suggestions regarding the New Smartphone Data Plans. We see that there is much discussion and some confusion regarding these new plans.

We would like to begin by saying that current Smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans but can choose to do so without a contract extension. In addition, current Smartphone customers with the unlimited data plan are not required to switch to the new plans if they renew their contract or switch to another Smartphone; however, if you choose to change to one of the new lower-priced plans, you will not be able to go back to your unlimited plan in the future. All NEW activations or new-to-Smartphone upgrades must choose from the New Smartphone Data Plans.

About the new plans:

DataPlus – 200 MB of data for $15 per month
    * Designed for people who primarily surf the Web, send email, and use social networking apps.
    * On average, 65% of AT&T Smartphone customers use less than 200 MB per month
    * If you use more than 200 MB, you'll receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15, replenished as often as necessary during the billing cycle.

Note: CRU customers are not eligible for the $15 DataPlus plan.

DataPro – 2 GB of data for $25 per month
    * Designed for people who regularly download or stream music and video, or use other high bandwidth applications
    * 98% of AT&T Smartphone customers use less than 2 GB in a month on average
    * If you exceed 2 GB, you'll get an additional 1 GB of data for only $10. Each time an additional 1 GB is used up during a cycle, you will automatically receive another 1 GB at the same low price.

Unlimited Wi-Fi included in all plans

Virtually all AT&T Smartphones come with Wi-Fi technology embedded inside. Wi-Fi generally provides consistently fast speeds and can be used in the home, at the office, or elsewhere when available without counting against your monthly data usage total. We also offer unlimited usage at more than 20,000 AT&T Hot Spots at no additional charge to Smartphone, netbook and laptop customers with qualifying data plans. Learn more about Wi-Fi at att.com/wifiaccess.

Tethering Options

Smartphone customers who choose the DataPro plan can add tethering for an additional $20 per month. With tethering, you can use your Smartphone as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks, or other computing devices.

For further information regarding the New Smartphone Data Plans and ways to manage you usage, please click here.
    See: New Smartphone Data Plans - AT&T Wireless Community
    08-22-10 09:47 PM
    So I currently rock a Pearl 8110, and I am planning to upgrade to the Torch. I tried it out last week at the store and I think it will work well for me. My question is about the AT&T data plans. I currently have the unlimited usage plan, and I only use about 300MB/month. I know that my usage will increase a great deal once I have the Torch (and a viable web browser). But how much?

I ask because, as I'm sure many of you know, Amazon is currently selling the Torch for $99 and no activation fee. The catch is that you have to switch data plans, so I would have to give up the unlimited plan. So, do I save money now on the phone and fees (and drop my bill a little) and risk the data overage? Or do I go to the AT&T store and pay the extra $100 + activation to keep my plan?

With my current phone, 2GB would be more than enough, but I know my data usage will increase with the Torch. The question is: how much will it increase? Obviously, without a crystal ball, that's anyone's guess, but I'm wondering whether those of you who have the torch (or a 9700) find that 2GB is enough data. I can access my home wifi, so that should help, but I'm still unsure.

Thanks for any opinions or advice.

If you had an unlimited data plan prior to JUNE 7 it is grandfathered and you'll be able to retain it. I switched from a 9700 to the Torch 2 weeks ago and they transferred my unlimited plan to it.
    08-22-10 09:57 PM
    I think that if you stay away from video and streaming audio, most anyone should be OK with the new plans. Use WIFI where possible.
    08-22-10 11:05 PM
    That is what I was told at the first AT&T store that I tryed to upgrade at. I have the unlimited tethering plan grandfathered in. He didn't have an option for me to keep it. He said my choices were blackberry unlimited data or tether 2gig.

Needless to say I declined. Went to another store that afternoon and the manager knew how to get around it and I got my upgrade and kept my unlimited plan.

Now I could have been given false info at the first store, but that is what he told me.
    08-22-10 11:31 PM
    Isn't it great to be grandfathered. When I bough my Torch they tried getting me to drop down to one of their tiered pricing plans, but I didn't fall for that line of garbage. I feel bad because I changed my brother's grandfathered unlimited plan to the 200mb one because he only uses about 1mb a month on his 8310 I gave him.
    08-23-10 12:09 AM
    That is what I was told at the first AT&T store that I tryed to upgrade at. I have the unlimited tethering plan grandfathered in. He didn't have an option for me to keep it. He said my choices were blackberry unlimited data or tether 2gig.

Needless to say I declined. Went to another store that afternoon and the manager knew how to get around it and I got my upgrade and kept my unlimited plan.

Now I could have been given false info at the first store, but that is what he told me.

ATT has changed plans too much lately. It went from unlimited to 5G to 4G now 2G. I have seen this all happening on their site as I was researching phones. And, when you go into their stores, their sales reps are all confused and give conflicting information. The last 2 reps I got actually pulled the plan flyer out to figure out what the plans were at the moment.

And then, they have data for smart phone and data for non smart phones, which adds even more to the confusion.

Looking on the site right now there is:
    DataPro 2 GB for BlackBerry $25.00
    DataPro 2 GB for BlackBerry with Tethering $45.00

And there is still unlimited date for "basic phones", which is kind of useless since you probably wouldn't go over 2G on a "basic phone" anyway. Why not just make it 2G for all phones?
    08-23-10 12:29 AM
    ATT has changed plans too much lately. It went from unlimited to 5G to 4G now 2G. I have seen this all happening on their site as I was researching phones. And, when you go into their stores, their sales reps are all confused and give conflicting information. The last 2 reps I got actually pulled the plan flyer out to figure out what the plans were at the moment.

And then, they have data for smart phone and data for non smart phones, which adds even more to the confusion.

Looking on the site right now there is:
    DataPro 2 GB for BlackBerry $25.00
    DataPro 2 GB for BlackBerry with Tethering $45.00

And there is still unlimited date for "basic phones", which is kind of useless since you probably wouldn't go over 2G on a "basic phone" anyway. Why not just make it 2G for all phones?
    Yes the store reps seem to be a bit confused but who can blame them with all the changes. Luckily I found a store with a knowledgeable manager so they will get my business from now on.
    08-23-10 12:34 AM
    Isn't it great to be grandfathered. When I bough my Torch they tried getting me to drop down to one of their tiered pricing plans, but I didn't fall for that line of garbage. I feel bad because I changed my brother's grandfathered unlimited plan to the 200mb one because he only uses about 1mb a month on his 8310 I gave him.
    Yep. No way I'm giving away my unlimited tethering with out a fight.
    08-23-10 12:36 AM
    Yep. No way I'm giving away my unlimited tethering with out a fight.
    AGREED.

When I upgraded to the Torch, the rep told me that if I ever want to move to another platform (Android, Iphone...) I can carry it over my unlimited plan. If this is true I will never drop the plan unless I am forced too.
    08-23-10 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD