And I think that's why a lot of people are disappointed in the 9800. It's not a bad phone, and if you enjoy the blackberry experience (the messaging and organization) and also want a wide screen for browsing and media. This is the best phone for you. I sure wish it were on Verizon because I would get it myself. But...

I just can't get over the fact that it could of been so much more. This was meant to compete iphone and android? It may stem the tide and keep BB users who are on the fence on whether or not to jump ship to another platform and may win back a few ex-addicts. However, I don't see it winning over many people who never used a blackberry before. Why didn't RIM put a faster processor or higher resolution screen in the thing?? Don't say battery life because the droid-X and iphone 4 both have better battery life (along with better display and faster processor) then the 9800. What happened to BB's legendary battery life? I don't mind slower hardware specs if I'm going to get more battery life with those specs I would of expected 10hrs talk time. Thing is RIM didn't use a newer more efficient processor, but the same old processor they've been using since 2008 in the 9700. I know there are faster cpus that are more efficient that have been made since 2008. Its not even about clock speed how much clock speed but how much a cpu can do with each clock cycle. Then obviously the screen resolution, again iphone4 and droidx proves you can have higher resolution screen with good battery life.

A lot of people come with the defense that Blackberry's are a business phone. First of all, if you've been paying attention to the commercials its clear they are promoting blackberry for all walks of life just not business. Second, the market has evolved, niche phones are dying (not saying bb is a niche phone), everyone wants one device in their pocket. Mobile devices are fast replacing the mp3 player, the portable video player, organizer, etc.

I'm a small business owner, my Blackberry is invaluable to me in terms of keeping organized/scheduling and communicating with clients, but I yearn for it to do more. I want to be able to watch hi-res movies when I'm traveling or on down time (without another device in my pocket). I want a better web experience for both business and pleasure, I use my BB all the time to reference stuff online but it's such a PITA unless the site has a mobile version and even then mobile sites have but a fraction of information the full site has Yes I know OS6 now has webkit but it took RIM way too long to realize it.

It's almost as if RIM starts development of a phone try to match or slightly exceed what's currently in the market (high-end smartphone wise) but they don't take into account when they release the phone a year to a year and half later everyone else has progressed and RIM is left with a phone that would of been great competition against 1-2 generations ago. RIM needs to set a higher targets, at least on their higher end smartphones.
    08-07-10 08:44 PM
    1. iPhone 4 battery life is not that impressive at all

2. Have you even held a 9800
    08-07-10 08:51 PM
    I don't want to argue these points with you, however, my take on this is quite simply that the BB is a communication device first and a multi-media etc device secondly; I believe the others such as the iPhone etc are multi-media devices that have communication and orginization as an after thought..... I believe we miss this premise sometimes.

These are my thoughts only, not meant to offend or debate with others.

R...

And I think that's why a lot of people are disappointed in the 9800. It's not a bad phone, and if you enjoy the blackberry experience (the messaging and organization) and also want a wide screen for browsing and media. This is the best phone for you. I sure wish it were on Verizon because I would get it myself. But...

I just can't get over the fact that it could of been so much more. This was meant to compete iphone and android? It may stem the tide and keep BB users who are on the fence on whether or not to jump ship to another platform and may win back a few ex-addicts. However, I don't see it winning over many people who never used a blackberry before. Why didn't RIM put a faster processor or higher resolution screen in the thing?? Don't say battery life because the droid-X and iphone 4 both have better battery life (along with better display and faster processor) then the 9800. What happened to BB's legendary battery life? I don't mind slower hardware specs if I'm going to get more battery life with those specs I would of expected 10hrs talk time. Thing is RIM didn't use a newer more efficient processor, but the same old processor they've been using since 2008 in the 9700. I know there are faster cpus that are more efficient that have been made since 2008. Its not even about clock speed how much clock speed but how much a cpu can do with each clock cycle. Then obviously the screen resolution, again iphone4 and droidx proves you can have higher resolution screen with good battery life.

A lot of people come with the defense that Blackberry's are a business phone. First of all, if you've been paying attention to the commercials its clear they are promoting blackberry for all walks of life just not business. Second, the market has evolved, niche phones are dying (not saying bb is a niche phone), everyone wants one device in their pocket. Mobile devices are fast replacing the mp3 player, the portable video player, organizer, etc.

I'm a small business owner, my Blackberry is invaluable to me in terms of keeping organized/scheduling and communicating with clients, but I yearn for it to do more. I want to be able to watch hi-res movies when I'm traveling or on down time (without another device in my pocket). I want a better web experience for both business and pleasure, I use my BB all the time to reference stuff online but it's such a PITA unless the site has a mobile version and even then mobile sites have but a fraction of information the full site has Yes I know OS6 now has webkit but it took RIM way too long to realize it.

It's almost as if RIM starts development of a phone try to match or slightly exceed what's currently in the market (high-end smartphone wise) but they don't take into account when they release the phone a year to a year and half later everyone else has progressed and RIM is left with a phone that would of been great competition against 1-2 generations ago. RIM needs to set a higher targets, at least on their higher end smartphones.
    08-07-10 08:55 PM

1. Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News 7.7hrs talk time....so yeah impressive.

2. Yes I have and if you read my post carefully I said I wanted one, just saying it could of been so much more then it is.
    08-07-10 08:57 PM

The iPhone 4's battery life is impressive compared to previous iPhone models and competing Android phones (and this is no atack on Android guys just it is better then some android rivals thats all).

I'm not making this an iPhone vs BB thread i just felt i needed to say that. on to what the op is addressing i agree with you. This phone could bring back some ex BB Addict i myself like it but won't be leaving TeamiPhone for it. But there could have been some more work put in to it. I also believe this may have another rushed device problem because it is coming out far before expected far! I also noticed from videos (yea i said videos i know people don't have it yet) that the browser seems a bit laggy im hoping the released version doesnt suffer to much from this cause then i may grab one, but the one Kevin was using lagged a bit, and i didn't like that at all. Besides that i can see where they took from android with the whole drop down menu thats nice, and a fresher theme is cool too. BUT is it enough to take on the consumer friendly popularity of Apple's Jesus phone or the Android ever growing Machine movement nahh i don't believe so not just yet. Good try though.
    08-07-10 09:02 PM
    ... could have been ....

Just saying .....
    08-07-10 09:03 PM
    I don't want to argue these points with you, however, my take on this is quite simply that the BB is a communication device first and a multi-media etc device secondly; I believe the others such as the iPhone etc are multi-media devices that have communication and orginization as an after thought..... I believe we miss this premise sometimes.

R...
    I would agree with you 100%, that's why I'm staying with BB. But the Torch was being billed as more of a multimedia device (same with the Storm1/2) to compete with iphone and android. IMO Blackberry has the advantage over iphone and android if only they would seize it. I think it's much harder to develop a good "communications/messaging/organizer" device then a multimedia device.
    08-07-10 09:03 PM
    once again another thread comparing apples to oranges! Good Lord,will this ever end?
    08-07-10 09:08 PM
    The iPhone 4's battery life is impressive compared to previous iPhone models and competing Android phones (and this is no atack on Android guys just it is better then some android rivals thats all).

I'm not making this an iPhone vs BB thread i just felt i needed to say that. on to what the op is addressing i agree with you. This phone could bring back some ex BB Addict i myself like it but won't be leaving TeamiPhone for it. But there could have been some more work put in to it. I also believe this may have another rushed device problem because it is coming out far before expected far! I also noticed from videos (yea i said videos i know people don't have it yet) that the browser seems a bit laggy im hoping the released version doesnt suffer to much from this cause then i may grab one, but the one Kevin was using lagged a bit, and i didn't like that at all. Besides that i can see where they took from android with the whole drop down menu thats nice, and a fresher theme is cool too. BUT is it enough to take on the consumer friendly popularity of Apple's Jesus phone or the Android ever growing Machine movement nahh i don't believe so not just yet. Good try though.
    Yes compared to old iPhones and competing androids.. I would hope the battery life is better than its predecessor and its nice that it is better than new androids.. But it isn't better than blackberry's which was my point.
    08-07-10 09:09 PM
    once again another thread comparing apples to oranges! Good Lord,will this ever end?
    Once the 9800 is out and more people have actually seen it is my guess.. I hope so at least.
    08-07-10 09:12 PM
    I am a Canadian expat who now lives and owns several SMEs in Australia. As owner I have the power to 'force' my employees to go Blackberry - which I've done to date with the crappy 8730 and the much better 9000. If the 9800 shows up in a timely manner in Oz I will do so again. In the meantime, I have to put up with a lot of agitation and endless nagging about 'Why can't we just get iPhones?' etc.
    I am willing to put up with it, but at the back of my mind is the nagging suspicion that RIM is always deliberately holding something back on the Specs of their latest release so they can come out with something "New & Improved" for us to buy just a bit later. The low resolution camera in the 9000 which was soon upgraded to an acceptable standard in the 9700 is a good example. Mark my words that the same thing will happen with the screen resolution and processor in the Torch. RIM is quite capable of putting together a Flagship model with ALL the top specs but CHOOSE not to do so in case that leaves their bag of tricks empty later when required for the endless upgrade path they have us all trodding on.
    Irregardless of whether the other manufacturers do the same thing, RIM is in danger of losing my loyalty if they continue to leave me the sensation of 'being milked' endlessly and my loyalty being taken for granted. There are a lot more smart phones out there now which can do the job, so if RIM doesn't want to become known as RIP they need to play at the top of their game and have faith that they will come up with new must-have features when the time comes. To any RIM reps reading this out there - any comments?
    08-07-10 09:44 PM
    ...Why didn't RIM put a faster processor or higher resolution screen in the thing?? Don't say battery life because the droid-X and iphone 4 both have better battery life...
    iphone still doesn't have a removable battery.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 08-08-10 at 01:40 AM.
    08-08-10 01:34 AM
    RIM seems to be caught in the middle. They have the task to build hardware and software and doo so for numerous models within a year. Apple and Android don't have this problem. We know that Apple only focuses on one phone per year, making it easier to improve on specs and software features. Android devices rely on manufacturers to give them top of the line hardware and they concentrate solely on software. Therefore, it will be hard for RIM too really compete that way.
    08-08-10 04:10 AM
    ... could have been ....

Just saying .....
    Thank you for removing the cheese grater from my nerves... Just saying

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 05:16 AM
    ...Don't say battery life because the droid-X and iphone 4 both have better battery life (along with better display and faster processor) then the 9800...
    Not real sure this is a totally fair assumption to make...have you used the 9800? Like for a whole day to see how the battery life stacks up? I realize there are battery "stats" (talk time, standby, etc.) out there, but my experience has been that how you use a phone throughout the day can cause the battery life to differ greatly from what the standard is.

R...
    Great point Ricktye, and the very reason why I came back to BB from an iPhone.
    08-08-10 08:27 AM
    Who really said it was going to be an iphone killer? The crackberry community or RIM or ????
    08-08-10 08:31 AM
    Who really said it was going to be an iphone killer? The crackberry community or RIM or ????
    It's definitely not an iPhone killer. But I don't think that it has to be. It just has to be netters than every other BlackBerry we have seen and better in every way. If not, it will be a wasted effort.
    08-08-10 07:39 PM
    Not real sure this is a totally fair assumption to make...have you used the 9800? Like for a whole day to see how the battery life stacks up? I realize there are battery "stats" (talk time, standby, etc.) out there, but my experience has been that how you use a phone throughout the day can cause the battery life to differ greatly from what the standard is.
    Yeah battery life depends on how you use it, but when iphone4 with faster processor and better screen...same for the droidx boasts better battery life both in reviews and on the specs sheet. Here just look, it gets pounded in every category except standby, and that's pretty useless, who isn't going to use their blackberry for 18 days?

Here are the advertised specs from Apple
    Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
    and for the 9800
    Standby Time: GSM� - up to 18 days, UMTS - up to 14 days
    Talk Time: GSM - up to 5.5 hours, UMTS � up to 5.8 hours
    Music Playback: up to 30 hours
    Video Playback: up to 6 hours
    08-08-10 07:48 PM
    RIM seems to be caught in the middle. They have the task to build hardware and software and doo so for numerous models within a year. Apple and Android don't have this problem. We know that Apple only focuses on one phone per year, making it easier to improve on specs and software features. Android devices rely on manufacturers to give them top of the line hardware and they concentrate solely on software. Therefore, it will be hard for RIM too really compete that way.
    To be fair, Apple releases full desktop computers, laptops, music players and the associated software to go with all the devices. Including browsers, compilers, and productivity applications. Not to mention iTunes.

Google works on many different software solutions for many different platforms. The company actually catalogs the entire internet. And finds time to compile new versions of Android at a rate of one major release a year.

RIM specializes in what are in effect personal communications devices. In so far as messaging goes, the company cannot be touched. However, this is a limited view of what is possible with a cell phone. The iPhone changed expectations, people now want a cell phone that is also a hand held computer. They want to browse websites. In addition to using the device as a good phone, text and e-mail platform.

That said, I love Blackberry as a messaging device, but I also feel like Oliver Twist - left wanting more. I wanted a full browser. It became a dealbreaker. I hope OS 6 is released soon and is a home run. It would be awesome.
    08-08-10 08:02 PM
    Moved to 9800 Forum.
    08-08-10 08:08 PM
    You guys need to give RIM some slack. Its only been what? Three years since they decided to venture into the touchscreen/consumer market with the Storm 1. You can basically count out the first year because the ****ed up and tried to stick a touch interface over keyboard software. Then...maybe if we give it more memory it will handle better. Out comes Storm 2. That didn't work out well neither. So ok how about we revamp the WHOLE OS.....out comes OS 6 and he 9800 MINUS surepress.

I would love to hear everyones opinions on this....but too me it seems that the 9800 is some test project to decide whether they can run OS 6 on ALL future phones be it touch or keyboard. That would affect whether or not to have two seperate interfaces....which would explain the rumours that there will be a whole different OS for the next Storm model!

Bottom line is these things take time. Plus Throw in all the issues they've been having around the world..... WeLl ****. I would have said **** it and taken a holiday by now. Lol.

But that's just my thoughts on it.

Well said. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...its time to move on instead of regretting what could have been. A continued partnership with AT&T and RIM could be start of a beautiful friendship.
    08-08-10 08:12 PM

Dude......HOW can you comment on battery life?????? This thing isn't out yet to even be able to compare it. WTF.
    RIM is taking it slow and getting it right and I'm thankful for that. I'd be curious to see what your post would sound like if they did load it w/a 1gig processor and bookoo ram and f'ed it up!!!!!!!!!

08-08-10 08:57 PM
    Everyone is an expert, even if they haven't touched it, lol! Gotcha....

08-08-10 09:07 PM
    Here is to a CDMA BB 9850 with 1ghz processor, and higher resolution.

08-08-10 10:13 PM
    I just can't get over the fact that it could of been so much more
    How long have you been a blackberry user?

The improvements and features added on this blackberry are huge for blackberry. Blackberry is not known for giving you so much more. They usually let you have it in small increments. With that being said, I'm sure they are going to give us much more in future models.
    Last edited by ocanyc; 08-08-10 at 10:26 PM. Reason: English professors are watching.
    08-08-10 10:22 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD