Hi Crackberry,

I will be getting the Torch when my upgrade (from the 9000) is available in 2 weeks. Between now and then, I am hoping that you guys can help me create a list of things to check for while I'm at the AT&T store and before I hand the sales person my credit card. I know that there are hundreds of posts spread throughout this forum on the various build issues, but it would be helpful if we can consolidate those tips into one thread. Last thing I want to do is to go back to the store several times exchanging 9800's till I find a "good" one.

Thanks in advance!
    09-07-10 03:46 PM
    The Torch is no different than any other device. Test everything before you leave the store. You should easily be able to inspect the physical qualities of the device before they scan it and update your account. After they scan it, you should be able to set things up and do basic functionality testing while they finish the transaction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 04:00 PM
    The Torch is no different than any other device. Test everything before you leave the store. You should easily be able to inspect the physical qualities of the device before they scan it and update your account. After they scan it, you should be able to set things up and do basic functionality testing while they finish the transaction.

Question I am asking is how do you define "everything"... I am sure that most folks did try "everything" as to the best of their knowledge, yet they went back several times to swap phones.

I'm hoping that my "everything" checklist is a bit longer between now and in two weeks...
    09-07-10 04:34 PM
    Big things to check are the slide motion, the wobble of the screen(there should be none unless you push it yourself to the left or right), make sure the front panel buttons are flush with or below the screen and don't make a loud clacking noise when you place a finger on it and remove it without depressing the button. Check to make sure the keyboard keys all feel correct when pressed.

From what I read about the trackpad, it is common to not be perfectly straight even after a few presses, mine used to be now only very very slightly leans right. You should know since you have a blackberry now that any lag or slow response could be fixed by an OS upgrade and the call clearity is fixed on the leaked os's. I now have a torch from Mexico 5 and it works great, just hoping the buttons won't peel up any further. I read Mexico 4 is good too, and you can find this info on the outside of the box by the codes and such.

09-07-10 04:50 PM
    Big things to check are the slide motion, the wobble of the screen(there should be none unless you push it yourself to the left or right), make sure the front panel buttons are flush with or below the screen and don't make a loud clacking noise when you place a finger on it and remove it without depressing the button. Check to make sure the keyboard keys all feel correct when pressed.

From what I read about the trackpad, it is common to not be perfectly straight even after a few presses, mine used to be now only very very slightly leans right. You should know since you have a blackberry now that any lag or slow response could be fixed by an OS upgrade and the call clearity is fixed on the leaked os's. I now have a torch from Mexico 5 and it works great, just hoping the buttons won't peel up any further. I read Mexico 4 is good too, and you can find this info on the outside of the box by the codes and such.

AWESOME. Thanks so much!

Looks like I need to add "press every key on the keyboard" to make sure that they work and are consistent.
    09-07-10 04:53 PM
    How about have a look at the thread Mikey52 already started. He has developed quite the list!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wh...we-buy-524501/
    09-07-10 06:48 PM
    How about have a look at the thread Mikey52 already started. He has developed quite the list!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wh...we-buy-524501/
    Perfect! Thanks for the pointer.
    09-07-10 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD