View Poll Results: Are you having audio problems with your 9800?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 58.82%
  • No

56 41.18%
    Are you having audio problems with your 9800?
    Specifically, voice call quality.
    "Tinny," "metallic," "echoes," etc.
    Last edited by JoeNC; 08-13-10 at 09:50 AM. Reason: voice call specific
    08-13-10 08:41 AM
    Working great here -- dumped all 3800-odd songs from iTunes onto my 32GB card last night. I haven't played every single one of them, but there is no audio problem with them or anything else on the phone.
    08-13-10 08:46 AM
    I am starting to think this "tinny" voice issue is software. It happens when using the wired headset AND while using the handset itself. Something with the voice processor that "should" be fixed via software?
    08-13-10 09:03 AM
    yeah it like echoes and is weird on calls..really annoying and making me want to go back to my Bold.
    08-13-10 09:45 AM
    naw, clean and clear on both ends for call qual... and that was on an overseas call
    08-13-10 09:49 AM
    It has to be a software issue...Kevin if you are reading this please post the issue on your blog so RIM might see and make a fix for this?! *wishful thinking*
    08-13-10 11:54 AM
    Bump.
    I'm reading that this might be a problem in several different threads.
    This is a real concern. Voice quality is extremely important.
    I'm thinking of buying this phone, but I won't if the voice quality is bad.

Thanks for voting!
    08-13-10 02:11 PM
    Bump.
    I'm reading that this might be a problem in several different threads.
    This is a real concern. Voice quality is extremely important.
    I'm thinking of buying this phone, but I won't if the voice quality is bad.

Thanks for voting!
    yeah if this is not resolved in the next 29 days I will return and go back to my bold..it is real anoying..sounds like ur talking into a autotune program
    08-13-10 02:18 PM
    No problems here - audio sounds great through normal phone speaker, through speaker phone and through my BOLD headset. Don't think I will even take the headset out of its plastic that came with the torch as it looks like junk!
    08-13-10 02:25 PM
    I seem to have the same problem too. Hope they get it fixed. Its a very interesting sound.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 02:26 PM
    Verified in store today.

If you slide open the screen there is no problem. When you close the slider there is problem.

I think it's because the mic is on the back of the screen part.
    08-13-10 02:26 PM
    Keep the poll going...
    08-13-10 10:10 PM
    Really want to purchase this phone, hopefully there is a fix soon.
    08-13-10 10:35 PM
    I hear a kind of buzzing sound when I speak into the phone. I have found that if I tip the microphone end of the phone away from my mouth a couple of inches the sound seems to go away. My voice is causing something to buzz when I speak. Like clipping with a microphone if the sound volume is too high.

Call quality does not seem to be affected for either party other than me hearing the noise.
    08-13-10 11:18 PM
    YES! YES! YES! Good god I hope RIM is paying attention to this and fixes it so I can dump this damn iPhone 4 and go back to a Blackberry.
    08-14-10 12:42 AM
    same problem here i find if you put the call on speaker for a few seconds then take it off speaker it goes away but i still need a software fix. on my 4th one btw
    08-14-10 10:11 AM
    Judging by the poll it's hit or miss. Some have the issues, some don't. Looks to be defective units rather than an overall design or manufacturing flaw.
    08-14-10 10:18 AM
    get the poll going.
    08-14-10 04:40 PM
    i'm on my second one, when i tested it in the store, it worked fine (obviously) and then i left and its still doing it!!! this is obnox, i dont want to have to goto the store and have them keep pulling out new ones left and right to find one that might not have this problem, but ****, its 2010, get it right....how was this not picked up during testing?!?!?!
    08-14-10 06:33 PM
    how many exchanges are allowed to be done by the store ?
    08-14-10 07:16 PM
    I am having the problem when I talk. No problem with speaker phone, no problem when other party speaks unless we speak at the same time. Short conversations not too bad however in longer conversations it does drive me a little batty.
    08-14-10 07:29 PM
    Mine sounds great whether slider is open or closed. I was actually veryimpressed wit the quality and volume of the audio on my torch. I haven't had a single issue. I have a bb torch, my mom has an iPhone 4, and my brother has a samsung captivate. I'm proud to say that I made the right choice in buying the torch. I love blackberries, and this is definitely the best one ever.
    08-14-10 07:38 PM
    I had the infamous audio problem, returned the unit and so far so good. Still think the ringer volume is way to low compared to my 9700 and 9000 and lacking some ringtones mainly the ones that sound normal, like the ring pro and so on. Downloaded some ringtones and fixed that, still the speaker is weak.
    08-14-10 07:46 PM
    For everyone that keeps saying that the audio quality is great and that it sounds great, so does mine. I don't believe the output is what this thread, or several others is referring to. The issue that many users, including myself, are being faced with has to do with the input.. When talking into the phone I hear an ever so slight buzz or feedback sound in my ear. It is slight enough to where I can ignore it and continue my conversation. However, I would like to see a fix eventually.

08-14-10 07:58 PM
    For everyone that keeps saying that the audio quality is great and that it sounds great, so does mine. I don't believe the output is what this thread, or several others is referring to. The issue that many users, including myself, are being faced with has to do with the input.. When talking into the phone I hear an ever so slight buzz or feedback sound in my ear. It is slight enough to where I can ignore it and continue my conversation. However, I would like to see a fix eventually.

Very true. +1
    08-14-10 09:17 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD