Rather than complaining on what's wrong with the Torch, jut keep the comments to yourself especially being a newbie. Everyone on crackberry is close to having enough of people ranting about the negatives of Blackberrys.
    08-10-10 07:17 PM
    Reading all these negative BB comments done by newbies make me seriously wonder if there is an intention behind this.

Since the Torch or 9800 became a hot discussion topic CB�s site has become a place where you find all sort of negative comments against RIM and BB devices..

I�ve only had 2 BB devices (Bold 9000 and 9700), and still don�t consider myself someone who can give such emphatic opinions about a device that I still have not had in my hands...

Ay ay!!
    08-10-10 07:18 PM
    Great post! Especially this part...
    1. Processor
    Those 1ghz snapdragons don't come cheap, and I'm not talking about money. The more processing power, the more battery drain. I'd MUCH rather have a phone that can handle anything thrown at it and still last more than a day than have a phone that can do more than needed and only last 6 hours.
    I've never understood the point of being able to watch HD videos and such on your phone if you have to be plugged in to do it, or watch your battery meter drain like the water in your bathtub.

1. Processor
    Those 1ghz snapdragons don't come cheap, and I'm not talking about money. The more processing power, the more battery drain. I'd MUCH rather have a phone that can handle anything thrown at it and still last more than a day than have a phone that can do more than needed and only last 6 hours. RIM may be slower to adopt new tech, but they know how to handle battery drain.

2. Display
    The display is a little weak, but at 3.2 inches, you can't even notice a real difference.

Also, not all phone users want to carry around a 5 inch phone in their pocket. I would never buy a phone with a bigger screen than 3.5 inches.

3. No new Touch
    What do you expect them to add? Touch has pretty much been mastered at this point. I'm glad they didn't over do it with the touch crap. Pinch to Zoom is the best and only touch feature you really need.

4. Storage
    8gbs is plenty of space out of the box. I would have liked to see 8gb on board, but I'm okay with 4. Add in a 32GB SD card and you have more memory than the iPhone. I already have a 32GB card, so I don't care what is included with this phone. Some people prefer 32GB onboard while others like having an SD card. To each his own, but neither is bad.

5. Battery
    While I agree they should have gone with the bigger battery, this battery is fine. BlackBerrys handle battery life better than any other smart phone out there. To bring this up as a shortcoming proves you know nothing about what you are talking about.

6. Video
    HDMI is the most overrated option on a phone. You need a special cable to use the thing which means you need to carry the phone and the cable around with you. If you are at home, you mine as well just use your laptop. I honestly see NO advantage to having an HDMI port on a phone.

The Front Facing camera would be nice, but its useless unless AT&T starts allowing it over 3g. Only having it over WiFi is junk. At this point Front Facing Camera's are not ready for prime time.

7. Games
    RIM isn't marketing the phone as a gaming device. They aren't targeting that audience in any way.

8. App World
    BlackBerry App World has a long way to go, but RIM has made some development changes to help that. Of those 140,000 Apple apps, AT LEAST 60% are complete junk (maybe even 75%). App World 2.0 has improved a great deal and hopefully we see developers hop onboard now that carrier billing has been added and its a bit easier to develop apps for BB.
    08-10-10 08:25 PM
    Reading all these negative BB comments done by newbies make me seriously wonder if there is an intention behind this.

Since the Torch or 9800 became a hot discussion topic CB�s site has become a place where you find all sort of negative comments against RIM and BB devices..

I�ve only had 2 BB devices (Bold 9000 and 9700), and still don�t consider myself someone who can give such emphatic opinions about a device that I still have not had in my hands...

Ay ay!!

Agreed! Don't get how people can be such haters!
    08-10-10 08:30 PM
    Agreed! Don't get how people can be such haters!
    I think their loyal to other phone manufacturers, so they're trying to downplay Blackberry. And they have too much time on their hands to find unreleased devices to hate and rant about
    08-10-10 08:51 PM
    I don't get the whole hating on another phone thing. As a BlackBerry user that doesn't like any of the Android phones or the iPhone OS, I would never go onto an Android or Apple forum and bash their products. First of all, I don't think they suck, just like BlackBerrys don't suck. But more inportantly, I don't give a **** about wasting my time bashing their products.

The way I see it:

BlackBerry is the best at messaging and battery life, the important things for business users. I also think they have the best OS. They found a way to mesh ease of use (iPhone) with customization (Android). I know I'm in the minority with thinking the BB OS is the best, but its my honest opinion.

Apple has the easiest to use OS that anyone can pick up and get going right away. Their biggest asset is also their biggest complaint for most users, the closed environment. People like my mom (a BB user) would love the closed environment of the iPhone because she needs things to be as simple as possible. People like me hate it because I need to explore and customize.

Android is great for the nerdy type (and others, don't get defensive because of my comments) that loves to customize EVERYTHING about their phone. They want to be able to over clock, and whatever the **** else you can do on a rooted phone. They also want the best hardware stats (ghz, RAM, MP Camera, HD Cam, etc...) even if it means less battery life (because they can carry 3 batterys around with them and be happy).

All 3 platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. It's either the right phone for you or it isn't, end of story.
    08-11-10 08:34 AM
    That's a great post, and not just because I agree, but because that's what it boils down to: what works best for you?
    Unfortunately too many people today get wrapped up in getting their self-affirmation from their gadgets and toys.

I don't get the whole hating on another phone thing. As a BlackBerry user that doesn't like any of the Android phones or the iPhone OS, I would never go onto an Android or Apple forum and bash their products. First of all, I don't think they suck, just like BlackBerrys don't suck. But more inportantly, I don't give a **** about wasting my time bashing their products.

The way I see it:

BlackBerry is the best at messaging and battery life, the important things for business users. I also think they have the best OS. They found a way to mesh ease of use (iPhone) with customization (Android). I know I'm in the minority with thinking the BB OS is the best, but its my honest opinion.

Apple has the easiest to use OS that anyone can pick up and get going right away. Their biggest asset is also their biggest complaint for most users, the closed environment. People like my mom (a BB user) would love the closed environment of the iPhone because she needs things to be as simple as possible. People like me hate it because I need to explore and customize.

Android is great for the nerdy type (and others, don't get defensive because of my comments) that loves to customize EVERYTHING about their phone. They want to be able to over clock, and whatever the **** else you can do on a rooted phone. They also want the best hardware stats (ghz, RAM, MP Camera, HD Cam, etc...) even if it means less battery life (because they can carry 3 batterys around with them and be happy).

All 3 platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. It's either the right phone for you or it isn't, end of story.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 08:38 AM
    Whoever said that RIM was trying to compete with these all in one, multimedia consuming, battery eating hand-held computers? They're not. I don't see why these reviewers are even trying to compare the 9800 to a iphone or latest gen Android phone. It's like road testing a 4x4 next to a luxury sedan. Two different things.

They're still plenty of people that like the utility of a BB and don't want to look like a socially inept moron staring at their phone all day when they should be engaging real live humans that are right in front of them. It's called a society, folks. Join us.
    08-11-10 09:30 AM
    Yeah, just because RIM stepped up their multimedia experience doesn't mean they are trying to compete with the iPhone or Droids. They are just trying to make their messaging device a little more user friendly.
    08-11-10 10:50 AM
    Yeah, just because RIM stepped up their multimedia experience doesn't mean they are trying to compete with the iPhone or Droids. They are just trying to make their messaging device a little more user friendly.
    RIM hyped this to the media as an iPhone4 and Android competitor. They called this their flagship phone and priced it identical to the iPhone and Captivate. They invited comparisons and have to live with the results.
    08-11-10 11:01 AM
    RIM hyped this to the media as an iPhone4 and Android competitor. They called this their flagship phone and priced it identical to the iPhone and Captivate. They invited comparisons and have to live with the results.
    Pretty much this. I love my 9630 and it serves my needs perfectly, I will not be jumping ship to Android or iPhone probably ever. However I must say the Torch truly is a ****-poor attempt at making waves in the industry, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
    08-11-10 11:13 AM
    Please link something about RIM calling this an iPhone4 and Android competitor. That should keep you busy for a few years....

Also, they priced it the same as every high end BlackBerry they have ever released. And just because they call it their flagship phone doesn't mean its meant to be an iPhone. They called the Bold their flagship phone at one time, was that supposed to be an iPhone competitor.

Lets try to stick to facts. When a reviewer calls it an iPhone competitor, it doesn't mean RIM has said that.
    08-11-10 11:17 AM
    I don't ever recall RIM dubbing this as anything other than their new device with OS6. You could prove me wrong, though.
    All I ever recall is haters saying it's crap.
    I, personally really dig this device. My store rep almost gave me one to get me outa the store.
    08-11-10 11:19 AM
    Please link something about RIM calling this an iPhone4 and Android competitor. That should keep you busy for a few years....

Also, they priced it the same as every high end BlackBerry they have ever released. And just because they call it their flagship phone doesn't mean its meant to be an iPhone. They called the Bold their flagship phone at one time, was that supposed to be an iPhone competitor.

Lets try to stick to facts. When a reviewer calls it an iPhone competitor, it doesn't mean RIM has said that.
    ....amen bro!....
    Gettin my tomorrow!!!!
    08-11-10 11:20 AM
    Pretty much this. I love my 9630 and it serves my needs perfectly, I will not be jumping ship to Android or iPhone probably ever. However I must say the Torch truly is a ****-poor attempt at making waves in the industry, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
    What industry are we talking about? The mobile phone industry or the mobile media device industry?

RIM has managed to take the best messaging/emailing phone (Bold) and give it a bigger screen, more memory, touch controls, and a brand spanking new OS. Please tell me how that won't make waves in the industry....
    08-11-10 11:20 AM
    What industry are we talking about? The mobile phone industry or the mobile media device industry?

RIM has managed to take the best messaging/emailing phone (Bold) and give it a bigger screen, more memory, touch controls, and a brand spanking new OS. Please tell me how that won't make waves in the industry....
    Regardless, the screen/memory/CPU still pales in comparison to the latest and greatest phones on the Android platform. I love my Berry for its messaging capabilities, but if I was the average consumer, chances are if I played with an iPhone, Incredible, and Torch in store I would not be as impressed by the Torch (screen res is a big factor IMO). And for the tech geeks, even with its bigger screen and larger memory, RIM is simply behind in technical specs. You can't argue with that. Business users and BB addicts will likely be loyal but I can't see anyone going in to a store, playing with a few of the newest smartphones and saying "I must have this Torch!"

What does the Torch really offer that other Smartphones on the market do not already offer? Where is the innovation? Simply watch the sales trends for the Torch vs iPhone 4/Android platform over the next few months and you will have your answer.
    Last edited by OfDoor13; 08-11-10 at 11:29 AM.
    08-11-10 11:26 AM
    Did anyone read any of the other articles by the author. Well I didn't read them but I did look at the titles....one theme....one word in commmon.

Droid
    Droid
    Droid
    Droid
    Droid

Google is quickly becoming the new Apple. With regards to fanboys and negative press. Guess the Torch must scare them more than everyone think.
    08-11-10 11:35 AM

Lol this is not only an absurd argument but also naive. Obviously RIM are not going to come out and explicitly say "This phone is our iPhone and Android competitor". That is contrary to how marketing works. By saying that they would be in essence admitting that they need to play catch up with the other major smartphone developers.

The Torch is OBVIOUSLY a consumer targeted phone, with its touchscreen and heavy emphasis on the revamped media menu. The phone was just coincidentally released to coincide with RIM's plummeting stock, right?
    08-11-10 11:40 AM
    Honestly, I agree with some of the points listed on that list - I've read it before. Some of the points do kinda get under my skin (screen, processor, etc.) other don't (3D graphics, who gives a ****?) etc.

The thing that really bugged me was how the OP is hating so much - and a lot of other Torch-bashers.

I've used 2 9000's, and I'm currently on an 8900 - so in no way do I tout being a BB veteran. But I know what it does well, and I like what it does well.

I've used the iPhone & the SE X10 (both of them in significant amounts) - yes, they are nice. They do things that BB's can't do as well, etc. But they're not for me.

As much as a disappointment some of the specs are - I think I read one person say it best 'Unfortunately for those people relying on sheer specs - they will miss out on this and that's just too bad for them'.

Like a few commentors above - to each their own. No need for all the hate.
    08-11-10 11:43 AM
    Regardless, the screen/memory/CPU still pales in comparison to the latest and greatest phones on the Android platform. I love my Berry for its messaging capabilities, but if I was the average consumer, chances are if I played with an iPhone, Incredible, and Torch in store I would not be as impressed by the Torch (screen res is a big factor IMO). And for the tech geeks, even with its bigger screen and larger memory, RIM is simply behind in technical specs. You can't argue with that. Business users and BB addicts will likely be loyal but I can't see anyone going in to a store, playing with a few of the newest smartphones and saying "I must have this Torch!"

What does the Torch really offer that other Smartphones on the market do not already offer? Where is the innovation? Simply watch the sales trends for the Torch vs iPhone 4/Android platform over the next few months and you will have your answer.
    Are you effing kidding me?? Do you really believe that pile of fecal matter that just poured from your keys?? Do you not read ANYTHING??

RIM makes a phone for the market they are targeting, nothing more, and certainly nothing less. You people amaze me. If you want a media phone, you go buy an iPhone, or a Droid of some sort. If you want a business phone, with media capabilities, you buy a BB. It's that's simple. For any of you to think any different, means you weren't using a BB to it's full potential to begin with, and that's likely why you jumped ship. Go ahead, jump ship, we don't care, because these are the phones that work for us. I'd rather not carry around something resembling a VCR on my hip, just so I can do all sorts of "cool" things. I use my phone for work, and play, that's why I have a BB. If I didn't need it for work, I'd go buy a "cool" phone, and maybe then I'd fit into your world. But right now, you certainly don't fit into mine.
    08-11-10 11:48 AM
    What a waste of time !!!!!!!!!!!
    If you value your time don't bother reading
    Im pissed that I didnt read your comment before I clicked the link. SMH
    08-11-10 11:49 AM
    I love my Berry for its messaging capabilities, but if I was the average consumer, chances are if I played with an iPhone, Incredible, and Torch in store I would not be as impressed by the Torch (screen res is a big factor IMO).
    Dude, the Average Consumer doesn't know the exact stats on all those phones. And you really can't notice much difference in the screen when you pick the phone up for 5 minutes in an AT&T store. If an average consumer wants a BB they will buy a BB if they want an iPhone, they will buy an iPhone. They don't do all the research on hardware stats to make their decision, not the average consumer.

People will buy the Torch if they want the best Blackberry or a phone that has a touch screen and the best keyboard.
    08-11-10 12:10 PM
    You really need to calm down, maybe you need to hit blackberries strong points. These have already been said multiple times. If you just posted this yesterday you are fall behind.
    08-11-10 12:19 PM
    Are you effing kidding me?? Do you really believe that pile of fecal matter that just poured from your keys?? Do you not read ANYTHING??

RIM makes a phone for the market they are targeting, nothing more, and certainly nothing less. You people amaze me. If you want a media phone, you go buy an iPhone, or a Droid of some sort. If you want a business phone, with media capabilities, you buy a BB. It's that's simple. For any of you to think any different, means you weren't using a BB to it's full potential to begin with, and that's likely why you jumped ship. Go ahead, jump ship, we don't care, because these are the phones that work for us. I'd rather not carry around something resembling a VCR on my hip, just so I can do all sorts of "cool" things. I use my phone for work, and play, that's why I have a BB. If I didn't need it for work, I'd go buy a "cool" phone, and maybe then I'd fit into your world. But right now, you certainly don't fit into mine.
    I agree with this statement.

Fandroids are quickly becoming a lot more aggravating then the Apple fan boys ever were.

During my wife's brief ownership of a Droid I spent a lot of time on a few different Android forums learning about the device. The entire time I never once seen a rabid BB fanboy hating on Android devices. Not a single time. Yet almost every post I read on Crackberry has someone bashing BB in some way.

If you like Android better that's great. No Device is perfect. It all depends on what the individual user needs are. I personally need the advantages of a BB more than what Android offers. So I choose to own a BB. But that don't mean I will pathetically waste my time trolling Android forums trying to convince everyone there that they also need a BB. What is wrong with people?
    08-11-10 02:36 PM

Dude-I keep telling Kevin I have my flame thrower & rocket launcher cocked & loaded ready to hunt Idroids.
    Ha ha ....that would make a pretty cool Transformers sequel.
    I, too have spent some time on TiPB and some droid sites. I've never seen iDroid bashing crackheads there.
    The only conclusion I can take from this is: maybe there's a little more CLASS on the BB side of reality.
    This isn't an iDroid bashing post, I'm just getting real tired.
    My hope is after the release date, (tomorrow) all the sh*t slinging and aggressive smack rolling will subside.
    08-11-10 02:54 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD