Hey guys, still in love with my torch, but alas it took me a while to realize this... whenever i'm on a 3g connection (even full bars) I lose my internet/bis connection. BBMs show the clock icon and the browser just says "requesting..."
    I've had my service books sent more than once, but the only way to get online is to change my connection settings to 2g. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've ran every OS that has come out and it's been there on all of them. Is it worth giving Orange a call, is there anything they can do, do you think?

Cheers guys
    11-10-10 09:05 AM
    This will depend on where you are located.

Orange say they have very good 3G coverage - well, they would say that, wouldn't they? Here is their 3G coverage map Orange coverage checker

If you live in an area that i covered, and are not seeing 3G then you should cetainly talk to Orange.

I would also go into an Orange store and as them to help you out.

This could just be a SIM card problem so maybe they will switch it in-store. Worth a try.
    11-10-10 09:20 AM
    Hey, thanks for the reply, but my phone says its connected to 3g, that's the puzzling thing. It has full signal, I live in the centre of Newcastle, there is 3g pretty much everywhere and as far as I can remember, phone calls and texts work fine in the 3g area.

I will definitely head in and get my sim checked out, although the sim has "3g" clearly printed on it. Liiifeee
    11-10-10 09:25 AM
    I have the same issue on the metro appx between Pelaw (ish) and South Gosforth on the way to work. Same as you, phone shows full 3g signal too. Still on stock 246, heard the new one has a better BIS connection so I'll be ug-ing this fri when I'm not at work... Hoping this will solve it. Don't have the prob anywhere else...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 09:45 AM
    I'm on orange uk and luckily I have never experienced this problem. I have 3G most of the time and touch wood have always been able to access the internet,bbm and bis. Like was said earlier,I'd go in to orange and get them to check it all out.

11-10-10 09:58 AM
    an interesting development, changing from 2G+3G to just 3G fixes the issue. At least it has so far while I'm at home. Signal at home isn't the strongest though. It's when i'm in town I realize its dead. Will give it another go with 3g only next time i'm out and about and then if that doesnt work i will head to orange. Thanks guys
    11-10-10 10:02 AM
    since your with orange you could try the new sharing scheme where you can get t-mobile signal coverage as well
    11-10-10 11:44 AM
    go to newcastle often and hare put my phone on 3g only and dont have the issue at all now,, thata with tmo but the shared signal works well too
    11-10-10 12:44 PM
    Yep, I have the same problem as you. The only difference is that I put the phone into 2G mode(EDGE and GPRS) so I don't get this problem anymore.
    Spoke to Orange about 4-5 times about this and they aren't prepared to much about it, 3G isn't a guaranteed service.
    It's really frustrating to be honest.
    I did a lot of testing with the handset and so far I have found out when it's happening.
    Usually if I move from a 2G signal area into a 3G then it stops working.
    It then take up to 3-4 hours for it to connect via BIS without my intervention. Going back the other way 3G to 2G it's ok.
    If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!
    11-11-10 10:21 AM
    This was also a problem on my 9700 for a couple of weeks before I got the Torch. Sometimes it works fine 3G with the BBlogo and others I just see 3g and therefore no BIS. I have to set it to 2G only and I'm connected again.

Irritating for sure and not really what I feel I pay for but not the end of the world.

11-11-10 10:24 AM
    So glad this isn't just me!! What i've been doing is changing to 3g only when i'm out and about and rocking UMA when at home.
    11-11-10 10:25 AM
    since your with orange you could try the new sharing scheme where you can get t-mobile signal coverage as well
    they only share 2g signals
    11-11-10 10:25 AM
    Exactly the same deal here, shows full 3G coverage, calls and text work yet any data doesnt. Only had this when im in work (stockport nr manchester) so just had it down as a crappy network issue which is a shame
    11-11-10 10:29 AM
    I am in the West Country so 3G signal isn't the best around here. The most annoying thing out of all this it's battery life. It suffers so much if I leave it on 2G&3G, can't even get a full day out of it.
    11-11-10 10:38 AM
    same here, but on my i8910(still waiting for my torch). The network has got worse since the t-mob merger....plenty of posts if you search in google.

11-11-10 04:50 PM
    ive been having the exact same problem and it is so frustrating. I rang up orange and they said they have been having major problems with their servers.

Originally my bold 9700 worked fine, but then it started going like this, then i got my torch and its been like this ever since.

Ive just put mine on 2g for now but its so annoying, let me kknow if you guys find out anymore

thanks
    11-11-10 08:52 PM
    The network has got worse since the t-mob merger....plenty of posts if you search in google.
    They enabled the free network sharing/roaming on my phone and as soon as the network update sms came through I restarted my phone and spent the next 48 hours with no BIS on my phone while Orange tried to diagnose and repair the problem.

I have the network share turned back off now so I only get the Orange signal and I have BIS back too.

Still spend quite a bit of time randomly on 3g though meaning I need to change to 2G only.
    11-12-10 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD