I'm growing increasingly tired of Blackberry. To the point of shopping for a new platform. Android is looking REALLY good at this point and Windows Phone is looking even more promising (as an XBox 360 player and a STAUNCH anti-Apple guy).

Looking at this preview video is solidifying my position. NOT A SINGLE MODIFICATION TO THE VIRTUAL KEYBOARD? REALLY? I don't think my fingers are any bigger than many other males ... I also know how to touch type (about 100 wpm). The virtual keyboard is VIRTUALLY UN-USABLE. Why is it too much to ask for a tactile response (slight vibration) to confirm that you have actually pressed a key? Why is it too much to ask for a (excuse my language) damn staggered keyboard format, like a STANDARD QWERTY kb? There's a reason it's laid out the the way it is ... so that your fingers don't hit 2 or 3 keys at once while touch typing.

Rant, I know. But geez ... I live in NYC. I can't be looking at the damn screen all the time - I'd get hit by a bus. I don't know HOW iPhone users do it ...
    07-16-11 04:05 PM
    The virtual keyboard was changed between BB6 and BB7. You can also use a full qwerty just as you could since OS5

Also, I wouldn't blame anyone that jumps to WP7. I personally like it a lot. Android wouldn't be my first choice though.
    07-16-11 04:47 PM
    The virtual keyboard was changed between BB6 and BB7. You can also use a full qwerty just as you could since OS5

Also, I wouldn't blame anyone that jumps to WP7. I personally like it a lot. Android wouldn't be my first choice though.
    I agree. I've used enough android phones to eliminate them. I would go for WP7 if I was planning on leaving BB. I'm not though. I'll be getting the 9900 to pair with my playbook.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    07-16-11 04:53 PM
    I agree. I've used enough android phones to eliminate them. I would go for WP7 if I was planning on leaving BB. I'm not though. I'll be getting the 9900 to pair with my playbook.
    I could not agree with you more on every detail you just hit there. Although I'm deciding between the 9930/9850 still!
    07-16-11 04:55 PM
    That keyboard does look better. When you hit the number key will it stay on that until you go back to the qwerty or is it the same as it is now, when you hit a number it automatically goes back? And windows & does look good.
    07-16-11 05:48 PM
    That keyboard does look better. When you hit the number key will it stay on that until you go back to the qwerty or is it the same as it is now, when you hit a number it automatically goes back? And windows & does look good.
    I believe it stays on until you press it again this time.
    07-16-11 05:52 PM
    who cares if you are not impressed,today's news say the torch 2 is ready for the big time.at&t release coming soon.
    crackchap likes this.
    07-16-11 09:31 PM
    The OS7 virtual keyboard reminds me of the one on Android 2.3/Gingerbread.
    07-16-11 09:33 PM
    I don't like any virtual keyboards. That's the main reason I have never switched to an iPhone. Can't you just use the real keyboard on your Torch.
    07-16-11 09:38 PM
    I believe it stays on until you press it again this time.
    Sounds good, thanks. I guess I'm still used to apple products. LOL.
    07-16-11 10:22 PM
    Can dynomax or anyone else that has the Torch 2 please comment on the virtual keyboard. I am a 9700 owner looking into possibly buying the Torch 2 instead of the 9900.

I just tried my friends' original Torch and I found it very difficult to type on the virtual keyboard in the landscape mode. Has this been improved at all on the Torch 2?? Also are there any vibrations or sound notifications whenever you press on a letter??

Thanks ahead for all your replies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 07:21 AM
    I don't like any virtual keyboards. That's the main reason I have never switched to an iPhone. Can't you just use the real keyboard on your Torch.
    100% agree (although the keyboard is just one of the many reasons for me). I very, very seldom use the virtual keyboard on my Torch -- less now than ever since I got the PlayBook. If you don't/won't use the physical keyboard, surely one of the jillions of all-touch slab phones out there will suit your needs.
    07-17-11 04:38 PM
    The Torch isn't for everyone. Anyone that has experienced RIM devices and expects their every request to be fulilled is setting themselves for disappointment. RIM devices aren't for everyone. If they don't meet your needs, choose another platform. You have had your rant.

07-17-11 09:13 PM
    The Torch isn't for everyone. Anyone that has experienced RIM devices and expects their every request to be fulilled is setting themselves for disappointment. RIM devices aren't for everyone. If they don't meet your needs, choose another platform. You have had your rant.

But compared to Apple and to some extent, Android and WP7, RIM gives you more options in terms of form factors with their different lines. The only option that RIM has not provided for adequately, in my eyes, is the full touchscreen form factor. The Storm series, although some do like their devices, was a disappointment. Hopefully the new full touchscreen device will correct that.
    07-18-11 05:15 AM
    Comparing the Storm and Torch in terms of touchscreen capabilites and performance is a bit unfair in terms of surepress and capacitive technologies. OS7 should take the T2 and Torch Touch aka Storm 3 to another level though sure to be lagging by spec wizards.

07-18-11 06:15 AM
    The torch keyboard works better than on my aria. Then I installed Swype and i like it over the bb.

To each their own, right?
    07-26-11 10:33 AM
    Guy buys a device which is extra bulky due solely to a nice physical keyboard being present.

Guy then rants about virtual keyboard to the point where he's considering ditching the device.

Does not compute.
    asherwiin likes this.
    07-26-11 12:48 PM
    Am I missing something? What's changed with the exception of switching the location of a couple of alternate keys on the bottom rows? It still is NOT a standard QWERTY keyboard in that the keys are in a column/row grid. Look at the keyboard right in front of you on the computer ... see what I mean?

I touch type (meaning i don't look at the keys). Having to look at the keys just screws me up ... and with this HORRIBLE grid pattern ... well, it just makes another reason for me to think of leaving Blackberry.
    10-08-11 06:37 PM
    Guy buys a device which is extra bulky due solely to a nice physical keyboard being present.

Guy then rants about virtual keyboard to the point where he's considering ditching the device.

Does not compute.
    Guy longs for the days when people actually used correct spelling and grammar in text messages thus seeks industry standard keyboard.

PS Torch isn't BULKY? Have you SEEN the new OLED Samsungs? Where you doing the robot dance while saying 'does not compute' as well?
    10-08-11 06:41 PM
    The on scren keyboard does suckkk!!! But it really isnt that hard to flip up the phone and use the awesome "non" qwerty keyboard!
    10-08-11 08:03 PM
    Android is a joke, I switched from it. Only thing that makes Android good is HTC Sense UI.
    10-09-11 04:09 AM
    Guy longs for the days when people actually used correct spelling and grammar in text messages thus seeks industry standard keyboard.

PS Torch isn't BULKY? Have you SEEN the new OLED Samsungs? Where you doing the robot dance while saying 'does not compute' as well?
    What are you, a moron? His spelling and grammar were flawless. And he was saying the Torch IS bulky. Because it has a physical keyboard.

Duh.
    10-11-11 08:13 PM
    Ive been trying to use the virtual keyboard a little more....i think im kinda getting used to it. Try it!
    10-11-11 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD