Erm... sorry to display my ignorance so publicly, but what does a security wipe on the PB do? Does it remove your installed Playbook apps?

After reading of the Wi-Fi problems with 1.08 and the limited nature of the update, I'm tempted to stick with 1.07 rather than risk having to do a wipe.

Someone reassure me that a security wipe is no biggie and my PB would be up and running in next to no time if I had to do one.
    11-25-11 07:16 AM
    The 1.0.8 update was apparently rushed out the door due to the late delivery of 2.0 in February 2012. The basic fact remains that nobody should be having this problem yet a fair number of user are reporting the same experience. The Microsoft-mentality of software development and release lives within the development team at Research In Motion. We are tired by being unwitting beta testers; I thought I was buying "the world's first professional-grade tablet." Tick, tock. A guillotine waits silently to receive the management team and development team for a public spectacle.
    11-25-11 07:17 AM
    Erm... sorry to display my ignorance so publicly, but what does a security wipe on the PB do? Does it remove your installed Playbook apps?

After reading of the Wi-Fi problems with 1.08 and the limited nature of the update, I'm tempted to stick with 1.07 rather than risk having to do a wipe.

Someone reassure me that a security wipe is no biggie and my PB would be up and running in next to no time if I had to do one.
    All applications and data are deleted during a security wipe and device software reload. Backup the data. Applications remain available in App World and can be re-installed without additional cost (usually) unless you obtained them elsewhere and different policies might apply.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-25-11 07:20 AM
    All applications and data are deleted during a security wipe and device software reload. Backup the data. Applications remain available in App World and can be re-installed without additional cost (usually) unless you obtained them elsewhere and different policies might apply.
    Ahh... thanks.

I'd better not risk the update then. My boy would never forgive me if something went wrong with the restore and he couldn't play N.O.V.A. 2 LOL

I'll wait for OS2 (or maybe 1.09 if RIM provide a fix )
    11-25-11 07:26 AM
    Mine is all packed up. I really enjoyed the build quality, OS feel and functionality, the clean appworld and the amount of apps that "others" say aren't available; there are plenty apps. I bought it this past Monday and after a day of issues due to 1.0.8 update I just can't have my main source of communication (computer-wise) go down. As I said previously, RIM and others need to throughly test updates more instead of using people as beta testers. Android and Apple are guilty too since recent updates on their side have caused wifi issues as well. A tablet without wifi is, well, a glorified nothing.

I received great and fast help in my short time here, thanks everyone for that.
    11-25-11 07:55 AM
    Mine is all packed up. I really enjoyed the build quality, OS feel and functionality, the clean appworld and the amount of apps that "others" say aren't available; there are plenty apps. I bought it this past Monday and after a day of issues due to 1.0.8 update I just can't have my main source of communication (computer-wise) go down. As I said previously, RIM and others need to throughly test updates more instead of using people as beta testers. Android and Apple are guilty too since recent updates on their side have caused wifi issues as well. A tablet without wifi is, well, a glorified nothing.

I was finally able to download the update. I went into my router settings and temporarily disabled my security settings (WPA2) leaving the network wide open. That forced the PB to give me the settings option where I would then connect to the unsecure open network. Downloaded the update with no issues at all.

So, it appears my wi-fi issue issue after the wipe is related to the WPA2 security on my router. I have to go to work so I cannot troubleshoot further but at least I can through the setup!!!
    Last edited by king benny; 11-25-11 at 09:00 AM.
    11-25-11 08:52 AM
    Just tried a security wipe; then it proceeded to re-install the update to 108. Still drops the wifi after a few minutes. Okay, so how do we roll back to 107? Tired of troubleshooting someone else's bad code.

Hey RIM-- here's a pro-tip: test your own blasted software. I break and fix things all the time in the apps I write, but releasing it to the public as an official update with something like wifi not working is pretty bad. Find the person in charge of the OS development team and fire their a--. Then Ask Jeeves what QA is.
    11-25-11 08:58 AM
    I downgraded my security from WPA2 to WPA and it seems my browsing doesn't hang anymore. I need to do more testing to confirm... can anyone else try and see if that helps?
    11-25-11 09:11 AM

Perhaps wait the full 15 days before you bring it back for a refund. RIM may have a tweak for this issue in that time.

As an aside I think the issue lies in security settings either on the book or on the router.

Like you I recently purchased a PB with deep discount and I really like it and have faith that the upcoming OS 2.0 will reignite the product. It's unlikely you'll see better discounts if 2.0 takes off.

399.00 for the 64g PB and 100.00 for a used BBerry on C list is still cheaper than a new unlocked smart phone. ;-)
    Last edited by blackburberry; 11-25-11 at 09:42 AM.
    11-25-11 09:33 AM
    I can confirm that the wi-fi problem for me is to do with encryption. I have had to downgrade my o2 UK router to WEP to get it to work! How can a company like RIM offer an upgrade that doesn't allow the Playbook to function with the best security on a wireless network. I never had the problem with 1.07, and I downgraded from the 2.0 beta because of this wi-fi problem. Perhaps try the beta again?
    11-25-11 11:51 AM
    Had this same issue and tried multiple fixes - but no luck. Finally, BlackBerry technical support let it slip and told me the issue is with the wireless download of the new OS. Apparently, they've had LOTS of users who wirelessly downloaded the latest OS update have issues with their Playbook browser - no connectivity, poor signal strength, etc. Their suggestion is to turn the PB off, launch the BlackBerry Desktop application and plug the PB in via the USB cable. The desktop application will ask if you want to "update" and when you say yes, it loads the new OS via the USB cable from your computer - apparently this solves the issue. Haven't tried it yet....
    11-25-11 12:16 PM
    My wifi is working _better_ after the 1.0.8 update...

What's everybody's wifi settings? Mine are: Profile enabled; no VPN; Dual Band; automatic IP; allow inter-access point handover; WPA Personal

I'm getting 11Mbps ; network type is 802.11. Does that tell anybody anything? [I'm a wifi dunce...]
    11-25-11 12:41 PM
    I deleted my wifi network profile after having wifi dropping out constantly, then did a manual setup (where it says "connect manually") and now things are working great! Actually browsing is now waaaay faster than before this update, which is awesome. I'm actually seriously impressed with the speed now.

EDIT: wifi still dropping out

EDIT:
    Just changed my router from b/g/n to b/g and things are much better now. No more dropped wifi and very fast browsing. YMMV, but it seems to be FIXED.
    This seems to be working for me also. On my linksys router settings I changed my network mode from 'mixed' to 'b/g mixed'.
    Last edited by Jake2826; 11-25-11 at 06:02 PM.
    11-25-11 01:04 PM
    I'm WPA2 personal with the same settings and it's gone completely wrong. Just disconnecting after a few minutes.
    11-25-11 01:06 PM
    I am having this issue using wifi hotspot. when I get home I will see if it does it on my router and post back. In the meantime, I am browsing with my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

edit: wierd that youtube app and facebook app work just fine, but not the browser
    Last edited by ak_hermit; 11-25-11 at 08:34 PM.
    Mikey_T likes this.
    11-25-11 08:30 PM
    After reading about all of the WiFi issues with the new update... Has anyone checked to make sure that their Router has the latest firmware available. I have seen several issues with various other devices from the criPad, and Droid tablets on older Wireless Routers... A lot of times, even though the "wireless" may work on all other devices just fine, one device can have issues... upgrade the firmware and then give it a shot. I dont care if the router is brand new... try to look for an update on the mfg's site
    11-25-11 08:42 PM
    Had this same issue and tried multiple fixes - but no luck. Finally, BlackBerry technical support let it slip and told me the issue is with the wireless download of the new OS. Apparently, they've had LOTS of users who wirelessly downloaded the latest OS update have issues with their Playbook browser - no connectivity, poor signal strength, etc. Their suggestion is to turn the PB off, launch the BlackBerry Desktop application and plug the PB in via the USB cable. The desktop application will ask if you want to "update" and when you say yes, it loads the new OS via the USB cable from your computer - apparently this solves the issue. Haven't tried it yet....
    I did this and nothing has changed.

The attached pic is my wifi status wifi info. Is this typical of what everyone else is seeing?
    11-25-11 08:53 PM
    Checking out the BlackBerry forums, I came across this post...

Wireless N issue on PlayBook - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Re: Wireless N issue on PlayBook
    Options

10-10-2011 02:12 AM
    I just bought the playbook a couple of days ago and first thing i noticed was that wireless connection was g. Took advantage of 90 day free tech support and called bb support who after putting me on hold for 5min told me the playbook only communicates at g at the moment. I repeat, bb tech support said playbook is only capable of wireless g at the moment and that maybe a future software update would address n connectivity. This is in direct contrast to published info/specs out there indicating playbook is wireless n enabled.

So maybe when 2.0 is finally released we'll have N ability.
    11-25-11 09:39 PM
    okay, I am at home. Both of my playbooks work fine on my home network, so now I will try both on my phone's wifi hotspot and see what happens.

edit: I was wrong, both Playbooks intermittently seem to have issues loading web sites on the home network, but not as much as when using wifi hotspot. There is definitely something wrong, that wasn't wrong before the latest update.
    Last edited by ak_hermit; 11-25-11 at 10:43 PM.
    11-25-11 10:09 PM
    Yes - changing my linksys from mixed to b/g mixed seems to have done the trick. Will report tomorrow after leaving it overnight to see if it holds.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    11-25-11 10:44 PM
    Ive had similar issues twice since the 1.8 update .. but bouth times it was when i tried browsing after playing a few matches of modern combat and it being open and connected until i try and surf.. wifi status stays full green as if connected but have no access till i turn the wifi off and back on on my PB using a wpa2 mixed encryption network.. havent had any issues in a few hours now.. next time it drops I will try with security off for a while see what happens but I havent had it as bad as having to reset the device yet..
    11-26-11 04:27 AM
    Ahh... thanks.

I'd better not risk the update then. My boy would never forgive me if something went wrong with the restore and he couldn't play N.O.V.A. 2 LOL

I'll wait for OS2 (or maybe 1.09 if RIM provide a fix )
    Might be a good call but either way once you pay for an app you can redownload it from appworld anytime aslong as you have his appworld account info.
    11-26-11 04:33 AM
    Spent nearly 4 hours on the phone last night with a great tech support rep from blackberry. We've tried the hard wired update and it goes all the way to the end then fails. They asked me to charge it all night to make sure the battery was over 20% since it wont update if under 20% battery life. Trying that now. Was told if this didnt work, then they would escalate me to the next level of support. It appears that the update is on my device as I could see the OS version on the wifi set up screen. TO back up a bit, I tried everything and then did a security wipe and have been trying to get it back on line with BB support. It also appears that the wifi issue is not only limited to the wifi but also impacts the USB connectivity on my device too.

Take note that once you get to the point that the hard wired usb connection allows you to start the update, it will take forever!

I'm really fearful that this OS upgrade bricked my deviced big time.
    11-26-11 08:28 AM
    Same issue here for the past 2 days since my upgrade to 1.0.8.4985. I did my upgrade with the usb through Desktop Software. I'm sad for this issue but I'm a BB lover for many years so I will give them time to fix it but I hope this time will be short or try to find a workaround in the meantime.

I tried to put my router in WPA personnal instead of WPA2 but I still have the same issue.
    Last edited by petewell; 11-26-11 at 11:48 AM.
    11-26-11 09:57 AM
    is there a way to roll back to 1.0.7 version?
    11-26-11 10:16 AM
171 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD