I know this is not the forum to post this, but I'm getting a "404 not found" error with all the other parts of the forum.

Here's my issue; I have a playbook, bought it yesterday (boxing day) for $250. It is the 32GB version. I had it on 1.8.x And was trying to get the Android stuff working on it. The tutorial I was following said nothing about needing to be on some 2.0.x firmware, so obviously it was not working. I would install the slider thing or w/e using the DDPBInstaller application on my computer, then I would start it on my blackberry, it would just sit there for about a Min or two, then crash. I looked it up and realized I was supposed to be on 2.0.x dev firmware of some sort. After tons of researching with no luck, I finally found out how to do it. Now I have updated to 2.0.0.6149 firmware. I'm getting the EXACT same issue with the DDPB Installer thing. It all works fine, then I go on the PlayBook, and start the App, and it crashes.

Someone please explain this to me, all the tutorials are very short and don't really explain much.
    Thanks in Advance for anyone who replies with an answer other than "Google it".

Cheers,

K.
    Last edited by Kan420; 12-27-11 at 09:55 PM.
    12-27-11 04:10 PM
    I have not tried the beta. I guess I'd rather let the others work out its issues as I still deal with OS1 issues.

Hopefully, someone will post back.

In the mean time, what was the problem you were having?
    12-27-11 07:53 PM
    What exactly are you trying to load? Which app/bar file are you trying to loading using DDPB?

Once you are on beta 2.xxx the android player is built in and there is no need to install the android player. You need to put your device in developer mode, setup a password and then run DDPB, enter ip/password etc and then install your app. Try to load simple apps that others have verified as working to make sure you are following the correct process.
    12-27-11 09:17 PM
    What exactly are you trying to load? Which app/bar file are you trying to loading using DDPB?

Once you are on beta 2.xxx the android player is built in and there is no need to install the android player. You need to put your device in developer mode, setup a password and then run DDPB, enter ip/password etc and then install your app. Try to load simple apps that others have verified as working to make sure you are following the correct process.
    Oh, really? I don't need to jailbreak? Interesting..Why does it work that way?

I can't find the "Android player" app on my PlayBook, where is it located?

So I guess my next question is, where do I download Android apps? I downloaded one, and the DDPB installer will not open it since it is not a .bar file. The android file that I downloaded was a .apk file. Is there some type of special app I am supposed to download? Any info would be great, links are even better! I'm not even really looking to pirate any apps honestly, I just want Netflix, Skype, etc.

Also, if anyone could tell me how to get BBM on the playbook, that would be cool! I don't have a Blackberry phone, so if it's needed I guess I'm out of luck!

Thanks for the reply man!!

Cheers,

K.
    Last edited by Kan420; 12-27-11 at 09:54 PM.
    12-27-11 09:49 PM
    Ok....this is a troll post.

Don't encourage by replying.....

See yah !
    12-27-11 10:12 PM
    Ok....this is a troll post.

Don't encourage by replying.....

See yah !
    What are you talking about??

I don't understand how you could possibly think I am trolling you...I am just trying to figure out how to get this working..

So heres some pics of my playbook to prove that I'm legitimately looking for help:

And here's pics of my home screen, where I cant find this Android app...

Cheers,

K.
    Last edited by Kan420; 12-27-11 at 10:39 PM.
    12-27-11 10:36 PM
    Well, now I'm lost. Since in OS2 BETA, Android is supposedly built in, maybe you do not need an Android icon - just load android apps and maybe they run?????
    12-27-11 10:46 PM
    Well, now I'm lost. Since in OS2 BETA, Android is supposedly built in, maybe you do not need an Android icon - just load android apps and maybe they run?????
    Thanks for taking me seriously man, unlike that other doucher up there ^^

Yeah, but even then...The fact that DDDP program only lets me add .bar files still confuses me...Since all the android apps I've downloaded online are .apk files

Cheers,

K.
    12-27-11 10:56 PM
    Hi,
    I used to be in your situation this morning (12-27). After trying something, I felt much better. However, it is not as you expect.
    1. After upgrading to OS 2.0, you should download DDPB and install into your computer. It is very easy to use the software (thus, I would not mention here).
    2. Go to playbookbars.com and download LAUNCHER ICE CREAM SANDWICH - bar file. Load that file into DDPB and install it into your Playbook.
    3. Download other bar-files and repeat the same steps. The apps will be in your launcher, not in the "desktop" of the Playbook.
    If you have any questions, reply here. I'll try whatever I can.
    Best.
    spike12, Kan420 and dj4mula like this.
    12-28-11 12:23 AM
    APK files don't work on the PB. You need bar files that have been converted from apk files, and not all android apps work.
    12-28-11 01:19 PM
    Go here and see if the android app you want has already been converted to a bar file (and tested working), then use DDPB to load them on your playbook.

PlayBook BARs

How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com
    Kan420 likes this.
    12-28-11 07:03 PM
    Android apps are also available on AppWorld if you are on the 2.0 os. Try searching for Android using the Appworld installed on your Playbook. When you install an Android file, it will just show up on the desktop as an icon for the app, just like the Playbook apps.

For the other converted to bar files, you need to do as noted above, put into developer mode and use one of the tools for loading bars. Tjey too will just show up as icons like the other programs.

Keep in mind that the Android player is built into the beta OS and uses a lot of the system memory, all the time. You will find programs, even native Playbook ones, will run out of memory and either close or crash. I have tried all the betas and they all make the browser prone to crashing. Unless you really need a particular Android app, you may want to stick to the stock OS until you get a feel for what the Playbook can do.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-28-11 at 07:48 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-28-11 07:43 PM
    Hi,
    I used to be in your situation this morning (12-27). After trying something, I felt much better. However, it is not as you expect.
    1. After upgrading to OS 2.0, you should download DDPB and install into your computer. It is very easy to use the software (thus, I would not mention here).
    2. Go to playbookbars.com and download LAUNCHER ICE CREAM SANDWICH - bar file. Load that file into DDPB and install it into your Playbook.
    3. Download other bar-files and repeat the same steps. The apps will be in your launcher, not in the "desktop" of the Playbook.
    Best.
    I am new to the BB/PB scene. Spent 45min reading through the threads and your post hopefully solves the problem i've ran into. Much appreciated!
    12-28-11 11:24 PM
    Hi,
    Best.
    dunno how the android launchers work, but this is really not needed... an apk that has been converted to a bar file (and works - not all do...) can be sideloaded by DDPB to your PB (it has to be in developement mode). The app icon will show on your homescreen like all the other native apps and can be launched directly from there.

There seems to be a LOT of confusion around this whole issue, I've even read of people loading the android player bar file onto the 2 beta yesterday, all that does is make you have to perform a security wipe which is a big pain...
    12-29-11 02:21 AM
    Go here and see if the android app you want has already been converted to a bar file (and tested working), then use DDPB to load them on your playbook.

PlayBook BARs

How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com
    I went to that site and went to download the Netflix app, and it was an APK file :-( Thanks for the info though!

If someone could upload a Netflix BAR file that would be wonderful.

Also, I found some BAR games...Tried out Angry birds and isn't really that playable (lots of LAG). If anyone wants to try some out here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mjlx09cwjgbdm#awrxcm3w2xe3h All credit goes to the uploader :-)

Cheers,

K.
    Last edited by Kan420; 12-29-11 at 10:40 PM.
    12-29-11 10:28 PM
    numerous people have tried converting the netflix android app into a bar for playbook but it does not work. You should search the website for tested working apps.
    12-30-11 12:05 AM
    Hi,
    Best.
    The link for the ice cream sandwich launcher does not work and has not worked for weeks..unless im missing something? It just takes me to a media fire upload paGE ..but no link to download is provided.
    12-31-11 03:57 PM
    I saw Skype on that list there. Did anybody get that to run yet?
    01-01-12 09:22 AM
    do you know how to fix a error 404 i did an update on my playbook now i have this error how can i fix it and where cuz i cant get past that screen on my playbook so i cant fix it from there can i?
    12-18-17 06:43 PM
    the playbook is like a bb10 device.. just get an autoloader and wipe it and start over.. run autoloader, then plug in PlayBook and hold power button until it reboots.. it should kick in.
    12-18-17 07:46 PM
    i dont see the launcher ice cream sandwich when i click the link you left there that is not an option do i have to hit 1 of the options that are there to take me to the Ice crm sandwich launcher if so which 1? also wuts the purpose for downloading it?
    12-20-17 08:58 AM
    i dont see the launcher ice cream sandwich when i click the link you left there that is not an option do i have to hit 1 of the options that are there to take me to the Ice crm sandwich launcher if so which 1? also wuts the purpose for downloading it?
    12-20-17 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD