I posted this over on OpenSourceBB at How to Run #BB10 on your BlackBerry #PlayBook ← Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB but figured some people here might not visit OSBB and decided to post it here.

These instructions will show you how to install the BlackBerry 10 OS for the Dev Alpha on to your PlayBook

Before beginning, let me say that doing this probably voids your PlayBook Warrenty. Further, it could potentially ruin your PlayBook, your computer, and numerous small animals which might be in the vicinity. While this process has not resulted in any problems on my personal PlayBook, that doesn't mean it can't cause problems for you. I and OSBB assume no responsibility for your actions (unless you win a crapload of money, in which case I claim full responsibility and request a large portion of the winnings).

With that out of the way, here's how to install BB10 on your PlayBook:

0. Ebable Developer mode and wifi file sharing on your PlayBook. Also, make sure that your PlayBook is charged to at least 25%.

1. Download Dingleberry. It is still available from Dingleberry jailbreak

2. Download the BB1o Developer Alpha OS. You can choose either of these versions:

10.0.4.197: 10.0.4.197.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

10.0.6.386: Has not been confirmed to work, but can be downloaded from: 10.0.6.386.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

3. Open the zip file and extract the qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.desktop.xxxx xxxxxxxx.signed.bar (the other bar seems to be a wireless radio that is not compatible with the PlayBook). The bar you want is the larger of the two.

4. Place the qcfm.image.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.desktop.BB10 _0_04.197.196525.signed.bar in the \Firmware\Custom folder of the Dingleberry folder. If this directory does not exist, create it.

5. Run Dingleberry and select Firmware. Select custom, and click update. Your firmware should update.

Note that the update may fail a few times, but it will eventually load, and you'll be running BB10 on your PlayBook.

Now, the current version of BB10 is very crippled. It lacks many features that will be contained in BB10. App World doesn't work, nor does Docs To Go, and many other apps. To be honest, at this point there's no practical reason to install BB10 on your PlayBook... other than to have BB10 on your PlayBook.

That being said, RIM should be pushing out an update to the Dev Alpha this week RIM JUST pushed out an update to the BB10 Dev Alpha. Hopefully this procedure will work with that OS as well (the OSBB Team will make sure to make that OS available if possible) and we might be running a fully featured BB10 on our PlayBooks!

To return to OS 2.0.1 or OS 2.1, you can just load the QCFM from either of those OSes, or do a security wipe (I prefer just using Dingleberry to downgrade to 2.1, because that doesn't require reinstalling all your apps).
    07-19-12 04:49 PM
    The current version is pretty much just the same as the PB OS though, right? No major advantage at this point. Still, I guess it's kinda cool that this can be done, and so easily.
    07-19-12 04:55 PM
    No, there's not much advantage to doing it (if any) at this point. But it is kinda cool (imo of course).
    07-19-12 05:04 PM
    Would be a great tool to show BB10 is coming...

Friend: "Why are you waiting? Knowing RIM, it will never come"

PlayBook User: "I got BB10 on my PlayBook, B****"
    07-19-12 05:10 PM
    devs that couldn't get a dev alpha can use this right
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-19-12 05:33 PM
    No, there's not much advantage to doing it (if any) at this point. But it is kinda cool (imo of course).
    With the support of App World on the new update, you can easily download and install your apps.

Anyone who have done this, how does the BB10 OS feel on the Playbook compared to OS 2.1?
    tindoeshek likes this.
    07-19-12 08:10 PM
    With the support of App World on the new update, you can easily download and install your apps.

Anyone who have done this, how does the BB10 OS feel on the Playbook compared to OS 2.1?
    I believe App World for BB10 only shows BB10 compatible apps.
    07-19-12 08:24 PM
    I believe App World for BB10 only shows BB10 compatible apps.
    I don't think so, because apps that are compatible on OS 2.0+ should and will work on BB10.

If that was the case, then all apps will need to be repackaged or something to make it work on BB10 OS.
    pccdromaw likes this.
    07-19-12 08:35 PM
    Not repackaged, just resubmitted, just like any other new BlackBerry release. Dev Alpha App World submission was just opened up today; just got done submitting some of my apps for the Dev Alpha.
    07-19-12 08:40 PM
    I like that option although there is no plan for me to install bb 10 on my playbook nice job op
    stillpointworks likes this.
    07-20-12 02:23 AM
    Well done SCrid. While RIM has purposely crippled this version of BB10 it is essentially a scaled down version of the BB10 Playbook OS (and the current iteration of the handset OS). As more features come along this will bring Playbook users closer to the true BB10
    07-20-12 06:36 AM
    Could anyone please upload the bb 10 os file to mediafire or jumbofiles
    lonnieo and Hobbes2099 like this.
    07-20-12 07:27 AM
    Does this work on rooted Playbooks only? That is will it work on 2.1?
    If so, does BB10 have the same restrictions that 2.1 does for downgrading or is this the door to root you PB for 2.1?
    07-20-12 12:26 PM
    Does this work on rooted Playbooks only? That is will it work on 2.1?
    If so, does BB10 have the same restrictions that 2.1 does for downgrading or is this the door to root you PB for 2.1?
    You can install it over the top of any PB OS, but you can only downgrade back to 2.0.1 or 2.1 according to the first post (i'd imagine 2.0 might work too, anything after they added fingerprint.dat to the OS updates). It won't help rooting at all.
    sam_g_84 likes this.
    07-20-12 01:33 PM
    This should be an option for PlayBook devs anyways. They give away the hardware, why not hand out the OS to those without a devalpha?
    Taka313 and zethaaron like this.
    07-20-12 03:02 PM
    The link seems to be broken/rigged, not sure which word works better, but can some one with access to the file please update the host (mediafire/depositfile) so we can get our hands on it. Also can anyone confirm if Appworld shows both BB10 and PB OS apps or just BB10.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    07-20-12 11:58 PM
    The link seems to be broken/rigged, not sure which word works better, but can some one with access to the file please update the host (mediafire/depositfile) so we can get our hands on it. Also can anyone confirm if Appworld shows both BB10 and PB OS apps or just BB10.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Weird, just checked the link and it seems fine.
    07-21-12 12:46 AM
    The links says that all free slots are busy...and its on this about 4 days ago
    07-21-12 05:01 AM
    Is the latest version of the OS going to be posted?
    Last edited by zethaaron; 07-21-12 at 01:43 PM.
    07-21-12 01:38 PM
    IF YOU COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK:

Just found this... its working for me..

Filefactory - Pastebin.com

Any ways it seems that the site makes you think that the slots are filled and makes you buy the premium...
    07-21-12 03:29 PM
    Hey got the newest version of the dev alpha on playbook anyone know how to get the siri like feature working?
    07-21-12 08:01 PM
    Hey got the newest version of the dev alpha on playbook anyone know how to get the siri like feature working?
    Try holding down the Play & Pause button between the two volume keys.
    07-21-12 08:19 PM
    Did you check to see if you can still side load after the update?
    07-21-12 08:28 PM
    I tried doing it doesn't work do you have it? Does yours work...maybe I should redo it but click full os instead of core?
    anon(3020381) likes this.
    07-21-12 08:29 PM
    Can anyone please confirm that it is possible to downgrade after upgrading to BB10 R6 on Playbook?
    OP only mentioned testing R4.
    07-22-12 05:45 AM
251 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD