I've had a case on my Blackberry Style since I bought it (a month ago). Within the last two days, whenever I'm in a phone call with someone, they complain that they hear a loud echo of themselves, and that I sound like I'm sitting 10 feet away from my phone trying to talk to them.
    After talking with Sprint, I found that all the cases that Sprint sells for the phone have been recalled, as they "negatively impact call quality", and the non-oem case that I have does the same. I had to have my microphone replaced in the phone today to fix this issue.
    Has anyone else had the same issue? Are there any cases that you have all found that don't negatively affect the microphone?
    12-16-10 07:14 PM
    ok i had the same problem got my phone on halloween then dropped it in water day after thanks giving filed insurance claim got that phone then the problems started im am on the 4th replacment phone and have been threw **** and back with sprint and insurance company all 3 phones the insurance company has sent had the same problem when you speak in the mic people on the other end say they can barley hear me or say i sound far far away i do have a protective cover i bought from sprint on the phone dont know what the problem is but on the 4th phone now so far it seems to be working great people can actually hear me loud but went threw alot of trouble with sprint and insuarnce company to get the 4th phone here they said i was the only person who had reported this issue... yea right!!!
    12-16-10 09:06 PM
    Yes, I have the same issue. It doesn't happen all the time, but people that I talk to also on a cell sometimes say they have an echo of themselves. I have one of those snap on cases but removing that doesn't always help. The only thing I've found that helps is turning the volume of the phone way down but then sometimes I have a hard time hearing the person I'm talking to. Kind of a vicious cycle.
    12-17-10 08:01 AM
    ok i had the same problem got my phone on halloween then dropped it in water day after thanks giving filed insurance claim got that phone then the problems started im am on the 4th replacment phone and have been threw **** and back with sprint and insurance company all 3 phones the insurance company has sent had the same problem when you speak in the mic people on the other end say they can barley hear me or say i sound far far away i do have a protective cover i bought from sprint on the phone dont know what the problem is but on the 4th phone now so far it seems to be working great people can actually hear me loud but went threw alot of trouble with sprint and insuarnce company to get the 4th phone here they said i was the only person who had reported this issue... yea right!!!
    As a Sprint employee and BB product ambassador, this is the first I've heard of this issue. I'll definitely report this back to the product support team for comment and keep an eye on this forum for other comments and updates. If I hear of any others issues with the mics I'll report back.

Have you tried updating to the latest ROM update? It's available via OTA.
    OldFart64 likes this.
    12-17-10 09:40 AM
    12-18-10 10:27 AM
    All the cases I see for the phone don't cover touch or get within a couple centimeters of the microphone so what's the problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-10 12:40 PM
    All the cases I see for the phone don't cover touch or get within a couple centimeters of the microphone so what's the problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm assuming it's just pressure on the microphone. It's not that it's covering it, it's that it actually breaks the microphone over time. I just had to get the microphone in my phone replaced because of this issue. It starts just doing it when you have the case on, but eventually it does it regardless of whether you have the case on it or not.

Czech_Pleaz - When I talked to Sprint they said that this was a known issue, and that they had actually just recalled all the cases that they sell for it because of this issue. The tech I talked to in the store said the same thing.

ZedRight - Those don't work just fine...those are the style cases that are being recalled because of this issue.

At this point, the only thing I'm figuring that would work is the old school leather type cases.

A
    12-19-10 08:49 PM
    I don't think it's the microphone. I cut up one of my Palm Pre invisible shields for the back cover to the Style, and I got the same complaints about the echoey sound. I guess nothing at all, not even a thin plastic shield can cover the internal antenna.
    12-26-10 04:31 PM
    I have a similar echo problem. I just removed the case from my phone and I'm still testing it out to see if it works better without the case. So far, I haven't had too many instances where the person I'm calling keeps complaining of an echo.
    12-31-10 05:44 AM
    I have this issue also. People say they can't hear me well but if I use the speaker phone option they can hear me just fine no drop, no water, no case. Going to Sprint tomorrow.
    01-02-11 10:18 PM
    I have one of those invis-a-shields on my Style and haven't had any complaints. I'll be reviewing accessories for the Style on CrackBerry as they are released so I'll make sure to call quality on any case reviews I do.
    01-02-11 10:37 PM
    People can never hear me on my BB Style. I have to use the speaker phone option constantly. First i thought it was a defective phone, so under the 30 day warranty, i got it switched out. But I still have the same problem. I find that holding it with my left hand, or pressed against my face (like any normal person would do with a flip phone when you cant use your hands) makes it even worse. But for the most part, even regularly holding the phone ppl always say i am cutting in and out. I am hoping BB will recall the phone, or fix this part, as i am sure i am not the only one with this complaint and i experienced it myself with TWO phones.
    02-05-11 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD