- 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM #1
Style 9670, overpriced kiddie toy.
Wow, this phone sucks. Let me count the ways for you. Lets start with customizing this overpriced kiddie phone. On the main screen you see the HUD, time and volume control etc. The bottom tray is where the fun begins. As you open you see "All" and sliding your finger on the pad you also are greeted with "Favs", "Media", "DL's" so on and so on. Every program or app you open ends up in the "Frequent" tray with no way to stop it. The phone just continues to vomit everything you touch into this tray and after a few days it starts to look like a teenagers room. So i decided to look for another theme and try to make this phone mine so to speak. HUGE FREAKIN' MISTAKE. After visiting BB App World ( more like deserted island in size ) I actually found a theme that I liked. Some of you might be familiar with "Zen". Sleek, simple, hats off to the team that created it. Only problem is that no matter what I tried the phone could not handle the backround. This was the first thing PERIOD that I loaded on the phone after peeling off the protective plastic. Then the volume stopped working, no sound, no beeps, not even a high pitched fart. So after a about a week and a half and 26, yes you read right, 26 freakin resets I caved and went back to the original, messy and disorganized default piece of you know what theme that came this the phone. Well after all that I decided to check out other apps that I could install and try on the phone. WTF. Every free app I tried from game to business to ANYTHING down right demanded a direct link to all of my personal information including contacts, files you name it the program wanted to stick its dirty little hands inside and feel around. After trying to disable the most personal of these ha ha "requests" the program would continue to "ask" for permission until granted and would refuse to run otherwise. I originally upgraded from a Palm Treo 800w. The phone was 3 years old and still running strong. After DL'ing the Core media player and UC Web to it the phone could hold its own on many a site and music/video file. Also, the phone came loaded with MS office for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote Mobile. The BB Style on the other hand needed a seperate app just to create a PDF document and then...wait for it...YOU COULD NOT VIEW THE DOCUMENT YOU JUST CREATED!!! You had to DL another program to do that, and pay by the way. I THOUGHT THE BB'S WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BUSINESS ORIENTED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! MS office is the most common set of office tools WORLD WIDE BB is going to handicap itself by not including these vital programs?!?!? But, to make up for it BB did include Nascar.....which I could not remove from the phone no matter what. Thanks for the wasted space. The browser is VERY SLOW...trying to load this site on the Style was like waiting for the pound of cheese you ate the day before on your nachos to pass, UUUUUGGGHHHH....UGGHH...UUGH...darn it nothin yet! For the love of Pete do not enable a phone to handle Flash and advanced graphics if your going to put a crap processor and joke of an OS on it. Again, I tried to salvage what BB screwed up and looked for UC browser for the Style...IT ONLY COMES IN CHINESE! I DL'ed this program over a year ago for the Treo 800 and it's still in freakin Chinese for a phone that is 3 years newer?!?!?! Yuck. After all the crashes, lack of programs and the need to CONSTANTLY pull the battery on this piece of crud, I am dead set on paying the restock fee and getting this toy out of my house. I am turning on my Treo and going to shop in the Android market. If I could I would get another Treo 800 brand new off of Bobs vintage cells dot com or something...but there are only so many upgrades you can do on a phone and its time to lay the legend to rest. So, it's off to the Sprint store and another round of shopping. This time around I am bringing home a "big boy" phone.
- 07-23-2011, 07:24 AM #3
Especially the enable Flash part, since the only BlackBerry that has flash enabled is the PlayBook.
Two whole posts, and I didn't see one that asked for help. One sign of searching for an answer. The Nascar Launcher isn't an app, it is a shortcut that takes up a miniscule amout of space, and is one of the things common to most carriers out there these days. They can be hidden or stashed in a folder.
I'm not normally derisive of a poster, but welcome to noobville.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Last edited by BergerKing; 07-23-2011 at 07:27 AM.
- 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM #4
So it's even worse than I thought...
My mistake for using the term "Flash". It looks like after reading the replies and educating myself a bit the correct term would be "Gif", which if I understand correctly is no where as intense to render as Flash. As far as the Nascar "shortcut"...it's a shortcut. A simple "click and go here" type of addition to the phone....and what I found out is that I can get it off, if I hack the phone and destroy my warranty. Ya, like after all the crashes and other issues with the phone I am going to do that. But, the point is app or shortcut if I don't want it on my phone I should not have to go to such extreme measures as hacking the phone or spending hours on forums asking for help on deleting it. On a side note my 3 year old Treo currently has Adobe Flash lite 7 on it and loads the sites just fine on either browser IE or UC browsers.
- 07-23-2011, 01:08 PM #7
I completley agree...
"To each their own" <---- It is all about personal preference. Now for those that have labled me "ridiculous" or a citizen of "noobville" well the world needs fastfood workers too. I understand that all new tech is going to have it's bugs. It stems from the corporate monkeys in charge of operations demanding impossible results from their programers/engineers. My Treo 800w had a few resets but nothing like the Style had, and right out of the box to boot. I hope one day we all live in a world where glitches will be a term only used when talking about events in history but untill that happens, we are stuck with keeping our fingers crossed and reading various reviews and choosing between the lesser of two evils. Now again I love my Treo, but I am not about to stick with the brand. I have seen, used and put the Pixi through its paces and that cute little turd is right up there with the Style. For affordability and functionality the next phone I am going to try is the Motorola XPRT. Working on a tight budget is one of the reasons I chose the Style in the first place, free upgrade. This time around I am going to shell out the extra funds and pay what my upgrade does not cover. For all hardcore BB users and lovers...I truly hope that BB pulls through and survives the next three years. From what I have seen and researched this company only has about that much time before it goes under, course only time will tell. We shall see. I don't like seeing my favorite things go under anymore than the next person which is why I was truly disgusted with the Pixi that Palm put out and made me drop the company like a bad habit in the first place. You find something that you truly like, fits well, user friendly, can't wait for the upgrade etc. Then the new model comes out and it's like...why did they even waste the resources. The Style that I tried to work with unfortunately made a mockery of BB name and made me think of the fruit the company is named after...miles and miles of thorny mess before you get to that miniscule and almost not worth it sweet reward. What better way to describe the Style. Now to wrap up, Mr FatSajak before labeling anything else on this planet ridiculous, please remove the roadkill from your head show the dead animal a little respect and lay it to rest. Walking around with a victim of "hit and run" on your head is just creepy. Mr BergerKing, just because I did not ask on this site for help does not mean that I did not ask at all...there are other sites/experts out there. I did not ask on Crackberry so that makes me a noob? Really!?! I have to link everything else I have done, type all the phone conversations I have made, and emails that I have sent trying to figure out how to make this phone simply function with out crashing on me? No. Let's pretend for a second that we live a few hundred years ago when a person's word was all they needed, and not their signature on a piece of paper to prove they had done all that was possible to fix the problem. So as far as trying to make the Style work, been there done it. If that is how you are going to speak to "noobs" then don"t expect them to vote you back in office as Mayer of Noobvile.
- 07-23-2011, 01:14 PM #8
man TL;DR all over this post.
Last edited by Fubaz; 07-23-2011 at 01:17 PM.
- 07-23-2011, 02:42 PM #11
I'm not entirely sure how you could go back to a treo to be honest. Though as you said its a matter of personal preference. I'm personally rooting for HP and hope the Pre 3 will bring web os to a device without garbage hardware. My wife has a pixi and she gets the TMC error far too often. The Motorola xprt looks like a great form factor however I couldn't stand its squishy keyboard. As I stated above I hated my style when I first got it however after trial and error I know this devices limitations. Putting a hybrid OS on it was the best thing I have done granted you shouldn't have to rely on a community hybrid os. Let me know how the xprt works out for you I am curious though it would never replace my style. As far as your theme experience yes the default one is garbage, though I think if you had installed a hybrid or GCI's 220.127.116.110 official os you would have been happier.
Woooot wall o text.Blackberry Torch 9800
- 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM #12
1. yes, the trays are somewhat kinda annoying to some people, but not until BB7 will they be customizable. the "frequent" tray fills up with the applications that you used most recently, but they still are listed in the "all" tray and any other that are relevant. it does fill up a lot, but you can either constantly clear it or ignore it. I just ignore it.
2. not sure what do you mean by "cannot handle the background" can you clarify, but PLEASE in a concise manner?
3. you may have activated the "silent" sound profile. on the home (main) screen use the trackpad to click on the little speaker in the top left area, then select "normal"
4. although the applications sometimes ask for these permissions, they usually do not use them. it's a minor annoyance, but not really that bad.
5. Blackberrys do come with office to go. the pro version does have a pdf reader, but there are a few free pdf viewers on the market. i don't know heir names though. Although Microsoft is rumoured to be making Office for PlayBook, traditionally micosoft only makes Office for the platforms they want to , which last I checked was Window, Mac (NOT iOS), Windows mobile, and maybe the old palmOS.
6. by "this site" you mean crackberry.com? that's because this site IS pretty slow at times and is hard on the mobile devices. Try going to Clubhouse54.com as it's a prime example of a fast site, and after a while you could probably come to rule the place.
7. flash is still not very mobile friendly. only the most powerful android devices run it well, and the Playbook has a much more powerful processor.
8. the slower processor is mainly due to the OS becoming antiquated. over time the current BBOS will be sent to only lower-end BBs while QNX takes over the high-end. that will take a year or two to happen, though.
9. UC browser is a Chinese browser. There is an English localized version around, but I don't know where.
10. those crashes could mean you need to perform an OS update. All devices require software updates, some more than others. You wouldn't be any happier with a medium range Android device.
11. if you think that a different device will suit you, then so be it. but if you end up having a list of complaints with that device, them it may not be the phone that's the main problem.
12. what on earth do you mean by a "big boy" phone? I'd love to hear your definition.
13. you don't need to "hack your phone" to remove the nascar shortcut. besides, it's not really installed on the phone but is pushed to your phone from Sprint. just highlight it, hit the menu button, and select "hide. All phones usually come preloaded with crap, but On Blackberrys those are simply 1kb shorcuts to download and install that crapware.
14. the crashes again could be fixed by running a software update.
15. your Treo is three years old you have to remember that.
16. there will always be glitches in technology. the reason why the Pixl and the Moto seemed glitch-free is because of the limited time you had to play with them.
17. yada yada yada
Last edited by grahamf; 07-25-2011 at 12:41 AM.Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
- 07-23-2011, 03:59 PM #13
You've earned the noob title vs 'newb' title with your wall of rant, vain attempts to insult members, and general bad attitude.
You can delete your shortcut as many times as you want, it will return when the device reboots. That information is available from anyone that has long term experience with modern smartphones.
You failed to state what version software you're running, the original was rather buggy.
Your post title was inflammatory from the get-go. Don't throw down a gauntlet and expect sweetness and light to come back to you.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM #15
If you would like a more positive and polite reception to your posts, Lilmantate, you might want to consider phrasing them in a more constructive manner.
For example, I cannot think how you could imagine calling a phone a "kiddie toy" would be anything less than insulting to people who actually manage to use this phone quite well and have none of the problems you rant about.
For you do write it as a rant.
Many of these problems are known issues, and some of those are issues with the original release of the OS which came loaded with the phone. And perhaps you have looked about and done "everything" possible to get your phone to work.
But when you come here posting and speaking the way you do your posts do come off as ridiculous. Look at the tags you put on this thread: bad, sucks, waste of time. Do you really think "sucks" makes you sound like someone who should be taken seriously?
If you feel the need to use the terms "kiddie phone" and "big boy phone" just to justify some inner need, by all means do so. But there are plenty of big boys and big girls already in this forum, those who love the Style and those who have been less-than-enamored. You'll know them by their ability to write constructive, clear, concise, and polite posts about both good and bad points of the phone, when either asking or answering a question.
- 07-23-2011, 04:44 PM #16
What they said and learn to not post a wall of text, it do hurt the eyes.Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
the 50K CrackBerry challenge
I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
- 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM #20
Ha ha ha! Wow what posts.
In all seriousness, yeah, going on a phone specific forum, then berating and calling that phone a toy insults users here and, at the very least, invites criticism. While we are all entitled to our opinion some of the criticisms you pointed out just seem remiss.
a. The "trays" feature is part of the OS; all BB's running OS6 have that, and many here have complained about that, (including me). It's going to be fixed on OS7, but too bad for us Style users for now.
b. You're right, a theme can cover that tray situation up; I've used dozens themes without any problem on the Style. If it had trouble with Zen, you may want to try another???
c. Almost all phones ship with bloatware like Nascar or something else; thank the carriers for this.
d. I can't tell you how much the phone's performance improved once I did the OS upgrade. MUCH LESS lag and greatly increased battery life. But it's sad that it takes that to get the Style to perform at peak level, it shouldn't need that as the average layperson will not upgrade the OS, and in that respect I agree with you.
I really hope you have a better experience with the Motorola than you did with the Style. I've never been satisfied with Motorola keyboards and if you consider the Nascar shortcut bloatware, just wait until you experience MotoBlur! :O But to be sure, I'd recommend you do plenty research before getting it; issues on the Style (like the badly needed OS upgrade from the one it ships with, incompatibility of some apps), and BlackBerry, (like the browser still being well behind Android's and iOS's, and lack of applications) that you mentioned are welll known here and probably wouldn't have been surprises had you done enough research.
For ME, every phone has a list of compromises; until I find one that handles battery life, email, notifications/profiles and has keyboard like BlackBerry's, widgets and web browsing like Android's, a beautiful OS like WebOS, and quality of available third-party applications like iOS, I find the Style to be the best compromise --- for me.
- 07-25-2011, 12:48 AM #21
Last week I was in the same boat as u, but like everyone that has replied, I upgraded the OS and I was fine. I came from my Sanford and Son Pre minus to this because it was free and I'm not regretting it now. Sure the Pre 3 still haunts me but, hey its up to sprint not me.
Relax, back up and punt next time before doing what u did. Die hard fans don't like it when u dog or diss their passion of choice... its like running in someones' family reunion and slapping the **** outta grandma during dinner.
- 07-25-2011, 01:26 AM #22
Actually, I had the Nascar bloatware on my Samsung Reclaim dumbphone, too. It isn't RIM, and it isn't the Style. It's Sprint. But then, I've heard this is typical for other carriers, too. At least with a BB, I can just hide it.
- 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM #24
Trying to clarify...
2. Backrounds I have attempted all through the BB apps link directly from phone...Crystal Shape by MMMOOO, Legend by MMMOOO, Paper Themes by MMMOOO, Vortex O Themes by IOneStudios, and a Zen theme that I can't seem to find on the menu list anymore. They all ran slow and after installing, tried to reboot after each install. All would go through maybe 10 minutes of use (email checks, contact edits, phone call or two) then I would get the app error of death screen...much like the blue screen of death for Windows based CPU's.
3. First thing I checked, I am a "check if it's plugged in" kind of guy. Looked at the obvious first before I started to try setting changes or reboots. Even after reboots the Zen theme killed the volume control. May be why I do not see it on the app downloader anymore.
4. This one I TOTALLY disagree with. I used to work for Epiq in Oregon (do a google search). They are a class action administrater. My job consisted of answering questions about identity theft. I lost count of how many people I talked to that had spent 20 or 30 years building credit for retirement, or so they could have something to pass to their kin only to have their credit destroyed to the point they could not even get a loan for a comic book. To quote you "they usually do not use them. it's a minor annoyance, but not really that bad." Thats just ignorant, not stupid please don't get anything twisted but really? If the programs are not going to use them or do not need then WHY do they REQUIRE them to function or even allow you to run them? Having your private data looked at and possibly used is not a minor annoyance but something that has caused many a person to lose everything, and in some cases their desire to continue living. <---Yes this one is true, part of the training was to listen to someone wanting to end it all and how to handle those situations.
5. This one is a matter of opinion seems...mine is do not advertise as "business oriented" if you are not going to include at least all of the most basic and common used programs in an office setting. I did an app search and found that I could DL a PDF creater...BUT I COULDN'T VIEW WHAT I MADE!! I had to pay for a seperate app to do that. I do not think I am asking for the world on this one.
6. Yes I did mean CrackBerry. The aftermarket browsers available are currently not made for BB phones. There is a UC but it only comes in Chinese. Opera Mini 6.1 is available for the BB's but the latest version 11.1 is not. I see more and more apps/programs that are leaving the BB world and this worries the heck out of me. I need phone that is going to handle the load for the next 2 years till my next upgrade discount. With the economy the way it is who has the money to get the latest and greatest every time something is released? With 6 kids and bills I sure don"t.
7. This one I corrected by changing "Flash" to "Gif". The browser had trouble loading sites that had simple banner ads, what site nowadays does not. The ads help fund the site and keep cost down for the rest of us, otherwise you and I would be paying for a monthly subscription to CrackBerry.
8. Thats a long time to wait for technology, most of the time tech is outdated by the time it is released and six months after the fact it's fossilized. Again this info/opinion is from another job i had recently. Tektronix. I was talking to people that worked on the most up to date stuff in the world. A few times I even had the privilage of talking to some that were working on stuff that you and I would not see in the market for another 10 to 15 years.
9. Please see #6
10. See #1 for OS version. As far as a medium range Android, bottom line is a phone that is what it's advertised as and a phone that does not crash like this one has. With the medium range Android (Motorola XPERT) am definatly going to do some more research on "Motoblur" and see what all the fuss is about and if there is a way to overcome those kinks.
11. I agree, I think in this case it's BB itself. Most cases of screwups/glitches come from the corporate brass incharge that make ridiculous demands on their underlings to try and push a product out to the consumers. This is the first flip that BB has done. I love the keyboard, nice and solid just like my Treo 800w was. Flip means no scratches on screen either, I don't have to protect with any aftermarket poly-films. I think the position of the charger and headphones stinks though. My wife is a lefty and this is not a lefty friendly set-up. These should have moved to the bottom of phone to facilitate ambidextrous usage. Any aftermarket docking stations could have had a notch taken out to allow for plug space. The battery door is also flimsy, I can remove with just the slightest of pressure and a downward swipe of my finger. Many a time I have pulled the phone from my pocked and left the battery cover behind in-pocket. The 3 year old Treo is still strong on that end.
12. Big Boy Phone: noun; A phone that lives up to how advertised. If it's advertised as business oriented then give it full capabilities from get go. Do not cut the device off at the knees by giving half a$%ed lite style programs to handle the most common of office programs that are used. That is like getting a media heavy phone and only giving it the ability to handle one type of file extension like .mpeg or .mp3 but not both.
13. This is simply sweeping the problem under the rug and ignoring the lump it creates. If I don't want it on my phone I should be able to get it off without having to crack the software to do so. Wasted space is wasted space and this is a phone we are talking about. This is not a CPU with terabytes of space to spare.
14. Please see #1
15. Granted, plenty of time to work the bugs out...then again my Treo only went through one software update the entire time I had it activated, laid to rest on 7/9/2011...Though looks like I am going to resurrect.
16. I did not say the Pixi was glitch free, you misread my post. I played with the Pixi for 3 months while my brother was away at boot camp and traveling around. Plenty of time to discover all it was not cracked up to be. Never actually stated the Motorola XPRT was glitch free either. Most complaints seem to be around "motoblur". Need to find out if there is a way to overcome those glitches that have been found. Point is I am looking for the lesser of two evils here and so far after all my efforts the Style is just not plain working for me. Slow browser, crashes, and forced to use it the way it came if I want to lessen the number of crashes. I can't even change the way it looks without it freaking out on me.
18. LOL, love the pick dude. My kids laughed their butts off at it, thanks!
Have seen many a post complaining about my wall of texting here and my rants lol. I did not come here to tip-toe. I came here to rant and get the problems out in the open. If you take it as impolite thats on you. Do keep in mind that I never insulted any poster before they insulted me first. I will definatly back up what I say because I do not simply talk out of my a$%. I expressed my opinion and experiences here and some took it upon themselves to lower the average human IQ by posting what they did. If saying that "The BB Style is an overpriced Kiddie Toy" and it hurts your feelings to the point of insults, then you need some thicker skin. If it inspires you to prove me wrong then DO SO and prove me wrong. Thats what these forums are for, opinions, fixs and future technology. I hate that I am going to have to pay the 35$ restock fee on a phone that so far has been nothing but a disappointment, but so far going through the forums there is no way to fix the problems that I have come across. So to conclude, don't expect me to apologize for my posts, not gonna happen. I will thank and like all the posts that cause me to look in areas that I may have overlooked. Call me a noob lol or otherwise and expect to get called one right back.
So if you don't like what I type, don't read it...it is a waste of your time right?
If you have answers to the problems that I have found then post up, so far my opinion is getting more and more known every day. The number of reads goes up on a daily basis on this thread. BUT STILL NATHA SOLUTIONS. If there is a fix lets go, if not then maybe time to admit that this phone is not all it's cracked up to be and find something new that will handle the job, insults just waste time anyway...
By the way have checked on solutions offered at time of this post and still no luck. Thanks to all that were grown ups here and took the rants as a frustrated consumer instead of somebody that came to simply talk trash and insult.