It was speculated that this full QWERTY keyboard was an optional keyboard for the upcoming 9100/9105 Pearl, which has been confirmed to at least have a T9 variant. However, we now know that the production 9100 doesn't match up with this keyboard, and look at the frets- Bold styling (also shared with the Pearl Flips). Fits the 9670 perfectly! Maybe this is the actual production version of its keyboard!! Everyone complained about the placement of the buttons around the trackpad, and the resulting empty space above and below in the leaked shots of the 9670 we saw the other day. IMO, while still ugly, this keyboard would look alot better on that phone!!

Am I crazy???
    Last edited by IrocD; 04-24-10 at 10:54 PM.
    04-24-10 10:20 PM
    Hey IrocD,

Got your email. Good point, AND...it's one we already addressed on the blogs.... shortly after the article you linked to in the post above, I did a Friday Fun Speculation article where I put in that it made more sense that the full qwerty would be ending up in a flip variant...

http://crackberry.com/friday-fun-spe...rry-pearl-flip

wasn't sure about the device model # at the time, but had heard of "oxford" which was rumored to be a new flip. should note though that the accessory/parts full qwerty keyboard is different than the 9670 keyboard shown in the actual device photos in terms of button configuration. But like you said, could be early version keyboard vs. full. And I agree.. don't think we'll see a full qwerty candybar now...but rather this full qwerty flip.

Also interesting to note that the more digging we do, it seems that Verizon actually requested this device to be built as an exclusive for them to release. So I'm less certain now that we can put all the blame on RIM now for developing this ugly-ish device.

So you're not crazy!

K
    04-25-10 04:36 AM
    Any idea whether the new flip will be offered in a GSM form and supporting tmo usa 3G bands?
    04-25-10 06:53 AM
    I'm not a hundred per cent sure, but I can with very good confidence say that the new Pearl Flip will be offered in both GSM and CDMA variants. Not sure about T-Mobile USA 3G compatibility, though.
    04-25-10 07:08 AM
    I would think think, with the obvious "niche" value of this device, it would be available to any carrier that wants it. Otherwise there may not be enough units sold to make it worthwhile. I could be wrong though, it might sell like hotcakes and brimg millions more into the smartphone world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 01:56 PM
    I called it Kevin.... My email from the podcast called it!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 04:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD