What causes this message to appear on some web pages? I live in the United States. My BB was new, activated and I've never traveled out of the U.S. How do I fix this? I get this type of message if not the same wording on a few different sites. Please help! I need access to 2 of these web sites, but can't get past that message. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
    I haven't been able to try logging on on these sites via my laptop as how it's battery is dead beyond resurrection. So my only available web access is my BB right now.
    I cleared cache etc in browser options, enabled geolocation if that was at all helpful or necessary, battery pull. Still same result. And oddly enough when I was on the Netflix site I logged out and immediately went to log back in and it gave me that sort of message. But that site let's you click a link that says u are in fact in the U.S.
    So these are web sites that offer their services only in U.S. But they are indentifying me as not in the U.S. Does anyone know why and if there is a solution? Thank you for your help and suggestions in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 01:47 AM
    The sites in question are identifying your origin IP address as no being in the US.

In the case of Netflix, the company has purchased the distribution right for the US territories and nowhere else. If they allow content to be shown outside their contractural region then they are in breach of contract and are liable for whatever that entails. Accordingly they take care that they verify the geographical origin of all comers to their website.

On a BlackBerry there is no way around this which, imo, is a very good thing.
    02-27-11 02:00 AM
    I haven't had this problem with the native browser, other than BB does not meet the system requirements to stream Netflix. The same holds true for the Bolt browser. If you're using OperaMini, the developer is based out of Norway and because of how it works, you will be showing up as having a European IP. I doubt you'd be able to stream Netflix anyway with Opera Mini, even if it didn't have the Euro IP.

This issue will show up for any site that requires a US IP. You'll be fine using the native browser or Bolt, but Opera Mini is not going to work. Whether the phone processor or the browser meet the site's other requirements is another story.
    02-27-11 02:49 AM
    I haven't had this problem with the native browser, other than BB does not meet the system requirements to stream Netflix. The same holds true for the Bolt browser. If you're using OperaMini, the developer is based out of Norway and because of how it works, you will be showing up as having a European IP. I doubt you'd be able to stream Netflix anyway with Opera Mini, even if it didn't have the Euro IP.

This issue will show up for any site that requires a US IP. You'll be fine using the native browser or Bolt, but Opera Mini is not going to work. Whether the phone processor or the browser meet the site's other requirements is another story.
    The native browser will also show up as having a non-US origin IP even though blackberry.net exits in the US.

The fact that yours still works might just have more to do with your previous login history than with the originIP address.

I base this on my own experience. I live in the UK and I ws unable to view a similar site (The BBC) from my son's house in Charlotte NC. I thried using WiFi and 3G. The BBC will only allow incoming connections via WiFi so it was not a complete test.

Likewise I ws also unable to use his NetFlix login from my home in the UK.

I tried with both my PC and my BlackBerry and got refusals both times.

Not being one to giv up easily, I then used https://www.identitycloaker.com/amem...?a_aid=pbman4u, a subscription service with a very cheap trial offer and this got me to both the BBC from the US and to NetFlix from the UK. Obviously this solution only works on the PC.
    02-27-11 11:52 AM
    Huh, well, I guess I'm just outta luck then I suppose. I hadn't tried anything other than just the native Browser. But it seems as though I would be wasting time trying anything else though so thanks for the advice.
    As far as Netflix goes I was only attemping to update my account, as far as I know streaming to a BB is impossible at this point. I suppose they give you the option to verify U.S. Address 'cos who outside of their services would pay for DVDs to be delivered where they would not actually be delivered?
    The other sites I see would definately need to verify that you are where you are by IP address amongst other things seeing as how they are strictly an online service I suppose.
    But why no IP address on BB that identifies your locale? I'm not all that well versed in what your IP address actually does, lol, but you'd think BB would have that covered. Is this BB or carrier or all web-enabled phones that have IP addresses that don't actually show where user is located?
    It all seems very complicated to me. So does each BB have it's own IP address? I don't even remeber my older BB with the OS 5 listing an IP address like this one does. I guess I should do my homework on what an IP address specifically does, where it's from, etc. LoL.
    But yes I do agree that companies should have their security without workarounds for the wrong people to all to easily breech. It just kinda sucks for an average person like me who does actually meet the requirments, but can't prove it. Looks like I'll just have to wait until I can fix my PC.

On another note, Thanks for everyone's input! I've been reading the forums here for quite awhile now, but just signed up so I could post the one question I wasn't able to find the answer too. At another BB forum (I won't actually name) no one ever responded to my posts. So u guys are great! Thanks again for taking the time to share!

02-28-11 04:35 PM
    The native browser will also show up as having a non-US origin IP even though blackberry.net exits in the US.

The fact that yours still works might just have more to do with your previous login history than with the originIP address.

I base this on my own experience. I live in the UK and I ws unable to view a similar site (The BBC) from my son's house in Charlotte NC. I thried using WiFi and 3G. The BBC will only allow incoming connections via WiFi so it was not a complete test.

Likewise I ws also unable to use his NetFlix login from my home in the UK.

I tried with both my PC and my BlackBerry and got refusals both times.

Not being one to giv up easily, I then used https://www.identitycloaker.com/amem...?a_aid=pbman4u, a subscription service with a very cheap trial offer and this got me to both the BBC from the US and to NetFlix from the UK. Obviously this solution only works on the PC.
    Well, what I am saying is that I have never had an issue using any browser other than Opera Mini from any phone, whether native or Bolt. I have been able to access Pandora and Netflix in the US from my US-based phone (I live in Illinois, my phone number is a Chicago number, and I use Sprint.) using both native and Bolt, but DO get the "not available outside the US" specifically with Opera. So I don't think it has anything to do with my log-in history, because otherwise I wouldn't get that message with Opera. These sites recognize Sprint as US-based. I have used Sprint's 3G service not through BIS with a non-BB phone and it was able to access these sites. You might try going to somewhere that has a Wi-Fi hotspot to test and see if that would work, as then it should be routing through a US IP. Do you have BIS or BES, and who is your carrier? If you have BES, you could try your IT department, or for BIS, your phone company. (Don't know if the Style's been released for any other carrier yet in the US or not, so not making assumptions.)
    Last edited by Ferretling; 02-28-11 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Needed an edit badly.
    02-28-11 07:00 PM
    Well, what I am saying is that I have never had an issue using any browser other than Opera Mini from any phone, whether native or Bolt. I have been able to access Pandora and Netflix in the US from my US-based phone (I live in Illinois, my phone number is a Chicago number, and I use Sprint.) using both native and Bolt, but DO get the "not available outside the US" specifically with Opera. So I don't think it has anything to do with my log-in history, because otherwise I wouldn't get that message with Opera. These sites recognize Sprint as US-based. I have used Sprint's 3G service not through BIS with a non-BB phone and it was able to access these sites. You might try going to somewhere that has a Wi-Fi hotspot to test and see if that would work, as then it should be routing through a US IP. Do you have BIS or BES, and who is your carrier? If you have BES, you could try your IT department, or for BIS, your phone company. (Don't know if the Style's been released for any other carrier yet in the US or not, so not making assumptions.)
    Yes BIS and Sprint. Wi-fi I had not thought of. Not a lot of hotspots in my area, but will try. So do I understand this correctly, that if I have Sprint, these sites should in theory recognize that my carrier is US based and therefore I should not have this issue? Does the IP address come from the carrier? In which case I could see the possibility that Netflix works fine, then not 'cos I may have been roaming, so whatever network my phone will roam with isn't recognized like Sprint. But Netflix is the only site in which that has happened. All too confusing for me. The other has never recignized me in the US.

02-28-11 08:25 PM
    What causes this message to appear on some web pages? I live in the United States. My BB was new, activated and I've never traveled out of the U.S. How do I fix this? I get this type of message if not the same wording on a few different sites. Please help! I need access to 2 of these web sites, but can't get past that message. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
    I haven't been able to try logging on on these sites via my laptop as how it's battery is dead beyond resurrection. So my only available web access is my BB right now.
    I cleared cache etc in browser options, enabled geolocation if that was at all helpful or necessary, battery pull. Still same result. And oddly enough when I was on the Netflix site I logged out and immediately went to log back in and it gave me that sort of message. But that site let's you click a link that says u are in fact in the U.S.
    So these are web sites that offer their services only in U.S. But they are indentifying me as not in the U.S. Does anyone know why and if there is a solution? Thank you for your help and suggestions in advance.

I worked it out!

I installed the uZard web P app (horrible horrible browser app by the way, had to work fast 'cos it kept shutting down on me) and was able to sign up and create the account I needed on one site. Then went to the native BB browser and logged in with no problem at all.

See on this particular site the homepage popped up fine with the BB browser, but when I went to the sign up/register page it told me it was only available to users in the United States. Which frustrated me to no end 'cos all I needed was to create an account so I could sign in on the site's BB app I downloaded from app world.

I would guess Bolt might work as well, but I'd used it in the past and had major security issues with it. After logging into accounts with Facebook, Redbox, and another I can't recall in the Bolt browser all of them where compromised, lost access to one, unauthorized credit card charges from another, etc. Anyways, besides the point.

So I tried uZard web app instead and it made it possible to use the sites I couldn't before and now they are fully functional/accessible in the BB browser after simply accessing them from uZard.

So did it turn out to be an issue with the BB browser? It would be interesting to me to know the why's and how comes. In fact I must know being who I am, lol. Does anyone have an idea as to why for example Amazon.com said only available in US from BB browser, not give that message in uZard web, then work as it should in bb browser after simply going to the site using uZard (not signing in or signing up, just loaSing homepage)? Perhaps it is an issue with just my phone? So very curious.

03-08-11 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD