What is the deal with people telling me my new 9670 has an outdated form factor and is to be avoided simply because of this? What is wrong with these people?

I like the flip because I can carry it in my pocket without dialing people along the way. The keyboard doesn't lock in the middle of a call where I have to punch in numbers, and it's easy to use and powerful.

Why do some people seem to have problems with flip phones? Heck, it's got a real QWERTY keyboard and everything. Do I need to have a large touch screen device to be "cool"? What's up with this rip on flips?
    LLAmos likes this.
    04-18-11 01:34 PM
    Opinions vary, and changing closed minds is like herding cats, nearly impossible to do. Best thing to do is not worry about other's opinions. I have met several folks that were really surprised that the Style isn't just a cheap flip. But a closed mind gathers no thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-11 06:22 PM
    Some people just can't be happy unless they cut down stuff that others have. There's not really much you can do to get them to be otherwise. If you feel you have to give them an answer, tell them why you like the form factor so much.

(Or you could tell them you're not so insecure about your phone that you have to put down others' phones. Either way.)
    04-19-11 09:09 AM
    I for one really like the flip form factor. If the style was available to at&t I would have gotten it. Its a cool phone, beatiful scrreen and a fullkeyboard. Screw the hecklers. I like having a unique phone that not many others have and the style is def unique. I'd say rock it with pride and remind people your "outdate flip phone" can do everything battery guzzling touch screens can.

04-19-11 10:44 PM
    Agree with Others.
    Outdated Form Factor??.
    Don't listen to them, they are just jealous/Envy (?) that you got a BlackBerry and they don't.

The BlackBerry Style is a Flip Phone and it has a Qwerty keyboard, Am pretty sure RIM is the first to make something like this. Never saw a flip that has a Full Qwerty Keyboard like the Style.
    Last edited by Tecklop; 04-20-11 at 08:16 AM.
    04-20-11 08:12 AM
    You like it, I love it!
    That's all that matters.
    04-20-11 05:17 PM
    It's a great device. I have gotten my best friend and her husband to switch to it as well as my mom, who came from a Motorola Razr. The flip form was comfortable for her already so the transition to a smartphone was a little bit easier.
    04-20-11 10:21 PM
    Honestly I have a 9650 and a 9670 and the style I would say is the nicer of the two phones. The screen on the style is a lot better in my opinion and it keeps the small form factor because it is a flip phone, it is either a flip phone or a slider phone to be able to have a big screen AND a nice keyboard to come along with it. Plus with a flip phone it has an extra screen!
    04-21-11 11:38 PM
    I've been living with the Style since last November.
    What i like about it:
    - Clamshell layout works better as a phone from a call quality point of view.
    - Keyboard and display are protected.
    - display is larger for a smaller package.

What i don't like about it:
    - Keyboard buttons are too small. I have relatively small hands, but it is really difficult getting any speed pecking at this keyboard. I used to have a Perl Flip 8220 with the abbreviated keyboard. I could write twice as fast on it with the SureType method than i can with the Style qwerty.
    - Keyboard buttons are too flat and do not have enough prominence, so it is too easy to hit two keys at once or the wrong key.
    - The track pad is a huge improvement (reliability wise) over the old track ball, but too sensitive to the condition of your skin. Sometimes it acts too sensitively to motion, sometime too insensitive.
    - Considering all the new hardware technology out there, it's time it also had touch screen.

It's not the form factor of the clam shell that's outdated. It's the overall BB interface. RIM just has been too slow in keeping up and using new tech to it's advantage. I for one really like a well executed clam shell.
    Last edited by VolleyNBike; 04-22-11 at 09:44 AM.
    04-22-11 09:42 AM
    I really wish the style had a touch screen and I often wonder why it doesn't. It would be the perfect BB in many ways if it did.
    04-23-11 12:44 AM
    I ditched my iphone for the style, partly because of the lack of touch screen. I don't know what the big deal over touch screens are, and why every phone apparently needs one. Granted I could type MUCH faster on the iphone, but that's the only thing I miss.

About the form factor, I think its awesome. Most people think its ugly when I tell them I have a style and they go look up what it is online, but when they see it in person they get jealous. The keys are alright, but I wish they were raised more like my gf's bold 9000.

The only other thoughts I have is that there should be a gsm version, and the camera shoulnt be on the back.

04-23-11 08:13 AM
    I ditched my iphone for the style, partly because of the lack of touch screen. I don't know what the big deal over touch screens are, and why every phone apparently needs one. Granted I could type MUCH faster on the iphone, but that's the only thing I miss.

About the form factor, I think its awesome. Most people think its ugly when I tell them I have a style and they go look up what it is online, but when they see it in person they get jealous. The keys are alright, but I wish they were raised more like my gf's bold 9000.

The only other thoughts I have is that there should be a gsm version, and the camera shoulnt be on the back.

In reference to the pictures of the Style, pictures don't do it justice. The angles look distorted and makr it look proportionately awkward. But it is quite sleek, easy to hold, and once you adapt to the keyboard, quite easy to type on. For the SureType user above, have you tried using Predictive Text on the Qwerty keyboard yet? I suspect you're used to that, and I use it myself, especially when typing one-handed.

04-23-11 04:44 PM
    I wish that outdated form factor was available on at&t!
    LLAmos likes this.
    04-23-11 10:43 PM
    Had an iPhone as well as an Android - went back to my BB 8330 and opted to upgrade to the Style when I bought one for my husband. He wanted/needed a smartphone with a full qwerty, but hated the bar style phones and their pocket dialing and need to be locked to avoid it. He'd been toting around an LG Lotus because it was a flip with a full qwerty and somewhat smartphone capabilities. When BB launched the Style on Sprint at the same time we were eligible for upgrades I snapped one up for him. When it got here I was so impressed by it's layout, feel, screen size, trackpad, speed and power I stopped beating around the bush and immediately ordered one for myself.

I too could type faster on my 8330 due to the spaces between keys, but it was a small trade off for everything I got in exchange. Having done the full touchscreen, gotta-have-it, oooooooo-aaaaaaaah toy I know full well I wasn't settling for the Style's "outdated" form-factor, rather running for it with open arms. All this and it's a Blackberry? Sold and sold again.

Ever seen "A Knight's Tale," with Heath Ledger? Someone should make a viral for YouTube with an iPhone and Android face up in the dirt with Blackberries standing over them with 6.0 text feeds scrolling, "You have been weighed," "You have been measured," "And you have been found wanting."
    04-24-11 03:04 AM
    Ever seen "A Knight's Tale," with Heath Ledger? Someone should make a viral for YouTube with an iPhone and Android face up in the dirt with Blackberries standing over them with 6.0 text feeds scrolling, "You have been weighed," "You have been measured," "And you have been found wanting."
    I love that movie. This would be awesome!
    04-24-11 06:46 AM
    I like the flip because I can carry it in my pocket, period. I'm a working man and if I had some giant touchscreen thing in there while wrestling off a truck wheel or crawling into a silo, it would greatly interfere with my movements and be destroyed in short order.

My brother's friend has a traditional style BlackBerry that he keeps in his back pocket. I am amazed that it still works. The screen looks like it took a hit from a rifle. From time to time he pocket posts to his Facebook page, lol.
    04-30-11 08:48 PM
    This is my 6th Blakcberry and my very favorite. I even had the Torch and hated it. When I would talk on it, my chin would dial people or hang up on them. I am not a fan of touchscreens. We switched to Sprint and myself, my husband and my teenage son all got the Style and my guys love it for the reasons in the above post--it flips shut and the screen is protected and you don't have to worry about dialing or locking your screen. We use the group calendars to keep our schedule all synced in real time plus BBM. It's pretty amazing really.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned with: I hope they keep making a flip Blackberry. It doesn't seem like too many people are like us. There are none on the rumored upcoming devices so.....

05-01-11 08:09 AM
    I've had the Style for over a month now and I can safely say it might be the best phone I've ever had. It only took about a week or so to get used to the keys and now I can speed right along. With BerryWeather and the Redox theme, I am good to go for a long, long time.

I, too, hope they don't stop making Blackberry flips. I've haven't been ripped lately for getting a flip; in fact, I had a couple of compliments on it just this morning. One associate even talked about trading in her Bold for one after she messed around with mine for a few minutes.

I think there may have been a stigma attached to flips, but the more people see and use the Style the more they see that it's not an "outdated" form factor or some dumb phone.
    05-02-11 12:18 PM
    Again while it is on the uglier and girly side, it keeps the phone protected and keeps it small, keeps a great sized screen (could have better resolution), keeps a great keyboard, has great battery life, and you get an external screen that keeps you updated really quickly. I think the forum factor is great. I am still keeping my 9650 though and my GF like my Bold better so who knows.
    05-03-11 01:55 PM
    Wow, I'm definitely in a minority here. I've had the Style since its debut and the flip style is driving me crazy!

I had a Bold 9650 when I switched providers to Sprint. I tried the 9330 for a few days before I decided I'd use the 30-trial option to switch to a Bold. The salesman talked me into waiting 2 days for the Style to come out instead of getting the Sprint Bold, so I did.

I was happy at first. I like all the features and apps on the Style. But over a couple of months that flip style began to drive me nuts--mainly because I can't stand having to spend a fraction of a second to flip the phone open when I'm in a hurry. I know--it's silly but I'm anal about not wasting time.

I would love to have a Bold with all the features of the Style, because the Style features are great!

I even bought an HTC Evo outright from Sprint, which I used for 4 days and then switched back to my Style because I liked Android even less.

I've complained to Sprint about this and practically begged them to let me switch phones but to no avail. I only stay with Sprint because the price is right. The day I'm available for an upgrade (5 months from now) I'm planning to switch--depending on what's available at that time.
    05-03-11 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD