Holy Moley. Please help if you can. I have looked through the forums for hours and can't figure out how to solve my exact calendar prob. I just want to wipe my BB calendar and re-install google sync and sync it with my BB. Please tell me this is possible. Here's my background story:

I've used yahoo online calendar since 2006 and love it. Finally got a smartphone, BB Style in Jan. and was loving having the calendar on my phone now too. Plus, my calendar USED to sync both ways - perfect.

Some time in the Spring, Yahoo decided to no longer sync with BB for some reason. OK, I figured out what I could use instead... I transferred everything to Google calendar.

That was working OK, but I had some double entries and a few syncing issues. I think I had resolved those, but am so confused and frustrated now that I can't remember.

Then I decided to end my Yahoo email entirely so removed it from my BB (thinking that might help) and now I have triple entries on some things. I've learned through other threads that your BB automatically enters those deleted calendars into your default calendar.
    I get triple reminders and triple emails on some things - fun!

Some FYIs,
    the Forum entries I've seen either have slightly diff. versions of BB desktop software or I'm just plain ********. They talk about "click on" back up and restore. Well, mine is backup OR restore. they talk about custom settings, and then select calendar in the left column and something about the right column and clear button. There is no right column, it's just a list and there is no clear button. I have tried this several diff ways and mine just it not like they say.

another thread suggested typing rset in the device while in your calendar options. My device came back with "There are no OTA enabled calendars" I don't even know what that means.

I have removed google sync and turned off all wireless syncing (I think!) because some of the threads suggested that in their instructions.

Keep in mind, I have several entries that never end (birthdays and such).

I must either be doing things in the wrong order or combination or both.

Again, sorry to be so long winded, but need to know the exact settings required and the steps necessary to completely wipe out the calendar entries on my BB. Then I want to put my google calendar back on my phone.

thanks for listening.
    07-17-11 11:06 AM
    I had to delete my calendar as well because of a bug Google has, where calendar entries keep repeating a bazillion times. It took me hours of trial and error to take care of it, because I couldn't find a solution to it. My first question would be to check whether the error is only showing up on your phone or on Google Calendar on the web as well. If it is showing up on the web as well, what you can do is delete your Google calendar and then re-create it. Then you'll have to work with the sync back and forth to get your phone calendar to also be blank. I had to do this via USB and the desktop software. I wish I could remember the exact fiddling I did, but eventually after a couple of syncs and back-ups and deletions of calendars on my system the calendar for both the phone and the computer ended up blank. Then I just re-entered everything.
    07-17-11 02:52 PM
    I feel for you both! I went through the same thing.

Here's what's happening:

Google Calendar comes pre-loaded on the phone allows you to sync the items from the calendar online to your phone through your Google account.

Google Sync app can be downloaded and used for the exact same thing but in a more complex way.

When you have both running at the same time and BOTH are default set to send your information from the phone to your computer and then back again - you get double, triple entries. I learned this first hand when I got the 9670 with it's OS 6 for my husband. At first I thought I could just use Google Calendar as it was pre-loaded on the phone, but I found out that didn't work. His online calendar has several calendars within it. The Calendar option in OS 6 will only recognize the primary default calendar in Google. So while his login and default calendar were say, "Calendar 1," the sync wouldn't access or allow changes to the custom calendars for "Travel," "Appointments," "Lodging," etc.

Knowing that Google Sync worked perfectly on my 8330, I put that on his phone and it worked like a charm. 24 hours later - all of his appointments were listed on his online calendar and on his phone in triplicate.

So here's the trick:

If you have several other calendars running on your Google Calendar and want access to those - download and run Google Sync. Once installed DO NOT allow it to sync until doing the following. Hit the menu button and go into:

Options

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to "Sync these calendars," and select the one displayed. (click it)

Under "My Calendars," UNcheck your primary calendar and then check the other calendars you want to display on your phone. I would also recommend setting the "Add new handheld events to," to "NONE."

If you already have Google Sync installed and are still showing duplicate and triplicate entries on your phone, open Google Sync and then sign out. It will ask you if you want to sign out and delete all entries from your phone. Yes. Sign out, let it remove everything.

Go to the Google Calendar online from your computer/tablet/phone and delete all duplicated entries.

Then go back to your phone, open Google Sync, go to Options and do the above steps. THEN and only then sync it again. If you allow it to sync BEFORE deleting the duplicated entries off of the online calendar it will simply duplicate all those and then you'll have SIX entries of each one. Yeah I did that - that's how I know.

If you only have one calendar - the default one with the google account - then using Google Sync is completely unnecessary. Here's the rub - if you have other calendars and you want to be able to add individual events to those calendars using your phone you're sort of out of luck. You can only select ONE calendar to add events to and you can only do that using Google Sync if you want to add events to a customized calendar. The default calendar in OS 6 does not give you that option, it only adds entries to the default account/calendar.

SO - if you want new events added to the calendar on your phone to go to a specific custom calendar in Google:

Open the calendar on your phone. Hit the menu button and scroll down to:

OPTIONS

Then scroll down to the gmail account in question. Click it and UNcheck, "Wireless Synchronization," as well as "Display reminders."

Save and exit.

Go to Google Sync, menu button for OPTIONS, scroll down to the calendar in question, click it, and where it asks "Add new events to handheld," select the calendar you want all new events to go to. Also then make sure that your default calendar IS checked as you just disabled syncing with the phone's OS 6 calendar.

Save and exit.

I realize this seems rather ridiculously complicated, but it's the best way I've found to force the phone to display all the custom calendars we use in Google Calendar without duplicating entries again and again. The fact is if you add an entry and you have TWO programs telling the calendar to sync with it and then post it back to the calendar.... well you get the one you entered on the calendar sent to your phone, Google Sync sees it and then sends it back to the calendar then OS 6 sees Sync's entry and then copies THAT. You need to select one of them to not send the info from the phone back to the calendar and vice versa. The default setting for both programs is to send and synchronize. You have to turn one of them off.
    Last edited by graywolf70; 07-19-11 at 05:24 PM.
    07-19-11 05:09 PM
    It's actually a dual issue. Google Calendar had this problem before I got the BB. I was reading up on it. The duplication issue is a few years old, still not fixed. The sync issues only compound it. But no, I either have Google Sync or phone sync enabled at once for the calendar. They don't play that well together. So for me, at least, that was never the issue.
    07-19-11 07:39 PM
    Ah - I see. I never had this problem using Google Calendar till I put it on the OS 6, but good to know.
    07-19-11 10:10 PM
    Thanks very much for your posts. I'll try your suggestions and see if they work for me. I appreciate all the time you spent on my problem.

My default google calendar is all I need FYI - I don't have specialty calendars. However, I did have my yahoo calendar on there at one time as I mentioned and then I think it was once I deleted the yahoo acct from my phone, that things started duplicating?? (I think)

Also, I think I did do "mobile setup" for my Google calendar under calendar tools(however tonight google is not letting me access any other setting than general calendar settings - error on pg!)

I also definitely used to have google sync installed on my phone. If I understand graywolf correctly (?) my phone may have already been set-up to sync, so I guess the triplicate thing makes sense (mobile setup, phone already set-up plus google sync). does this mean I should remove any "mobile setup" I may have done in google calendar tools?

I did read under google forums that tons of people using all sorts of smartphones are having this duplication issue with google. Many people are complaining about contacts too. I thought I was going crazy - turns out I have tons of triplicate, 4x entries there too. Ugh!

FYI, I do NOT have duplicate entries on my Google calendar/contacts online. Just on my phone.

I had already removed google sync app from my phone when I posted orig. post FYI.

I just entered a test appt via the computer to my calendar and a test appt from my phone to my calendar. I'm curious to see if it syncs both ways or one way without google sync loaded. I'm also curious to see if these new entries each duplicate.

Anyway, once I have the answer to above test, I will try whatever seems to make sense at the time (ha!) i think this MAY make more sense after some sleep
    07-20-11 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD