Hello,

I am a loyal Boost customer on the shrinkage plan. I have owned an Android Galaxy Prevail before I got a Curve 8530 to get a taste of the Berry to see what I was missing. I feel like I am in the dark ages with the Curve and want to go back to the Prevail, but the Style does look like a cool phone as well, running OS 6 which I've never used not to mention a bigger screen with better resolution.

Can anyone with experience with two or more of these phones comment? Which is the best one, etc.

Thanks
    10-05-11 04:50 PM
    I've never used the Style, but I used to have the Curve 8530 and I honestly didn't like it. I think you will find the Style more to your liking (just from what I've read of it)
    10-05-11 06:41 PM
    i have used both the curve and the style and the style is by far a better phone thenn the curve 85xx its not even close!!! get the style!
    10-05-11 07:24 PM
    i have used both the curve and the style and the style is by far a better phone thenn the curve 85xx its not even close!!! get the style!
    Probably as soon as the Boost store gets it I'll get one, but don't discount the Galaxy Prevail. Its a deceptively powerful Android phone. I returned it because typing was too hard on a 3.2 touchscreen, it smokes the Curve in everything else though. Great thing about Boost is I can switch between Android and Blackberry and keep all data and shrinkage points. So I'll get a Style and if its a dud, then back to a Droid.

So in conclusion, a 4 inch Droid would be better than both, but I think the Style probably beats a 3.2 inch Droid.
    10-05-11 07:46 PM
    I prefer the Style over the Curve. Its a newer Blackberry and I really like it.
    10-05-11 11:28 PM
    Have you considered the Samsung Transform Ultra?
    10-05-11 11:34 PM
    I just got the style in place of the prevail. Both are great phones but I had a BB before and I really miss the keyboard. And once you really get use to android platform you will start to want to just to be able to use the phone the way you use it most. The BB Style is awesome in my book just don't start looking at all the new BB's coming out on all the other carriers. And if you do look at the new BB's remember the price you pay now vs what you will be paying with another carrier. Just my 2 cents.
    10-06-11 09:18 AM
    Have you considered the Samsung Transform Ultra?
    Not bad, but its a slider, and my logic is that a Droid beats a Blackberry, but a Blackberry beats a 3.2 inch Droid. I'll see if I can play with one though, it looks to be a significant upgrade from the Prevail specwise.
    10-06-11 04:24 PM
    I have a BB Style on Boost Mobile, and have had other phones on other carriers. I don't like really the Android selection on Boost Mobile, Samsung doesn't have a good reputation for anything other than their flagship (which is right now the Galaxy S 2) phones. If you want to go with Android on a prepaid carrier, Virgin Mobile has a much better Android selection.

"Midrange" Samsung Android phones, such as what's on Boost Mobile, tend to be underpowered, and have a lot of OEM customizations that slow down the Android OS both in speed and in frequency of updates. Samsung also drops support for them fast, some have been supported as short as 4 months.

I love my Blackberry Style, there are a lot of nice refinements about OS6 compared to earlier incarnations of the OS (I once had a BB 8830 WE running OS4.x) and the Blackberry Style's hardware is awesome although the form factor is a little bit "retro" and unsmartphone-like except for the awesome BB Bold-like keyboard hiding in its unassuming exterior.
    JR A likes this.
    10-06-11 06:50 PM
    I have a BB Style on Boost Mobile, and have had other phones on other carriers. I don't like really the Android selection on Boost Mobile, Samsung doesn't have a good reputation for anything other than their flagship (which is right now the Galaxy S 2) phones. If you want to go with Android on a prepaid carrier, Virgin Mobile has a much better Android selection.

"Midrange" Samsung Android phones, such as what's on Boost Mobile, tend to be underpowered, and have a lot of OEM customizations that slow down the Android OS both in speed and in frequency of updates. Samsung also drops support for them fast, some have been supported as short as 4 months.

I love my Blackberry Style, there are a lot of nice refinements about OS6 compared to earlier incarnations of the OS (I once had a BB 8830 WE running OS4.x) and the Blackberry Style's hardware is awesome although the form factor is a little bit "retro" and unsmartphone-like except for the awesome BB Bold-like keyboard hiding in its unassuming exterior.
    It is tempting to defect to VM to get the Motorola Triumph, which I consider to be the only full featured Android available pay as you go. The phone being $300 is one of the only things stopping me right now, plus I just paid my Boost bill a few days ago.

So it looks like the Style, and I'll pay extra for international service as I live on the border. Then I can get rid of my i465 which I use as a dedicated Mexico phone with Push to Talk. I don't know how I got it in my head that the Curve might be good, but heads up to others, the Curve 8530 is a significant downgrade from the Galaxy Prevail. I was pretty shocked at how primitive the Curve turned out to be. Like a fool I just assumed more expensive equals better.

Guess you'll be seeing more of me in this section!
    10-06-11 07:49 PM
    I don't know how I got it in my head that the Curve might be good, but heads up to others, the Curve 8530 is a significant downgrade from the Galaxy Prevail. I was pretty shocked at how primitive the Curve turned out to be. Like a fool I just assumed more expensive equals better.

Guess you'll be seeing more of me in this section!

Great! I think I agree about the curve 8530, it looks like it has the worst build quality in the history of the BB Curve, at least from the pictures and a few reviews.

I should warn you though, the Style is still a Blackberry. The built in browser has improved, there is user interface tweaks, but if you're looking for an android or iphone interface experience, with the ease of use, copious apps, and pinch to zoom browsing, you'd be better off with one of those.

For email and communication and productivity though, the style is excellent.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    10-06-11 09:09 PM
    Great! I think I agree about the curve 8530, it looks like it has the worst build quality in the history of the BB Curve, at least from the pictures and a few reviews.

I should warn you though, the Style is still a Blackberry. The built in browser has improved, there is user interface tweaks, but if you're looking for an android or iphone interface experience, with the ease of use, copious apps, and pinch to zoom browsing, you'd be better off with one of those.

For email and communication and productivity though, the style is excellent.

I don't consider Blackberries smartphones, I can appreciate them for what they are. Web page loads are measured in minutes, not seconds on the Curve I have.

I just went into Verizon on a lark and asked about the Bold 9900's and they said 259 for the phone and about 120 a month for everything plus a 2GB data plan. There is no way I could justify anything over 80 for any Blackberry on the market.

I'll get the Style as a camera phone with email and text. Anything else will be gravy.
    10-06-11 10:25 PM

Source: Samsung Transform Ultra hitting Boost Mobile in October, we go hands-on!
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 10-06-11 at 10:37 PM.
    10-06-11 10:34 PM
    Trying to tempt me with those pics? Its up on the Boost site now, it'll be 229 when it hits the scene. Like I said I don't like sliders, its only a 3.2 inch, and its got those retro buttons to boot. Looks to be a slightly more powerful, uglier Prevail. I'll let you guineau pig that one and report back. Maybe after I've had the Style a while Boost will get a truly legit Android.
    10-06-11 10:59 PM
    I don't consider Blackberries smartphones, I can appreciate them for what they are. Web page loads are measured in minutes, not seconds on the Curve I have.
    OS6 has a webkit browser and there's enough app memory to not worry about putting Opera mini or Bolt Browser on it too. It isn't the browsing experience on iOS or Android, but it is an improvement over OS5 or earlier curves.

I just went into Verizon on a lark and asked about the Bold 9900's and they said 259 for the phone and about 120 a month for everything plus a 2GB data plan. There is no way I could justify anything over 80 for any Blackberry on the market.

I'll get the Style as a camera phone with email and text. Anything else will be gravy.

Yeah, although that one has a touchscreen and Blackberry OS7 which allegedly makes browsing somewhat comparable to other devices it is priced too expensive, with expensive contract plans. The Style is primarily a communication device, and has a better camera than your curve too. It is a Blackberry though, which means more of a PDA phone than a modern smartphone.

It does meet the original idea of a smartphone, like a Palm Treo or something. It is proper to call it a smartphone, albeit one with a similar paradigm to a Palm Treo in 2003 than a capacitive touchscreen app-phone of 8 years later.

10-07-11 09:01 AM
    I am sold. Already called the Boost store, they have them for 199. Now its just a matter of driving to San Diego and picking it up.

I've read the various complaints about this phone, but I think the deciding factor is that it is a 9670, putting it at the higher end of Blackberries. So a high end Berry over a middle of the pack Android. Can't wait.
    10-07-11 08:58 PM
    Its midrange, but it has a bold-like keyboard and a similar cpu to earlier-gen BB bolds. It is not comparable to OS7 devices (99xx is their model number typically) that have 1ghz processors and touch screens also.

It is a step up from the BB curve 8530 currently on Boost Mobile. Basically a Bold 9060 (or is it 9030 that's the same?) that flips and has OS6. Definitely worth the extra $20 or so.

10-08-11 10:31 PM
    Its midrange, but it has a bold-like keyboard and a similar cpu to earlier-gen BB bolds. It is not comparable to OS7 devices (99xx is their model number typically) that have 1ghz processors and touch screens also.

It is a step up from the BB curve 8530 currently on Boost Mobile. Basically a Bold 9060 (or is it 9030 that's the same?) that flips and has OS6. Definitely worth the extra $20 or so.

Never heard of a Bold flip you may be thinking of the pearl. Look if you are going from a 8530 to a style you will be more than happy with the phone. I just did the same thing a few months ago and was very impressed with just how much better of a phone the style was compared to my curve. I still love it and feel no need or want to upgrade to anything at this point..the phone is still fun.

10-09-11 02:42 AM
    Its not a Bold flip, since RIM marketed it as the Style, but under the hood, it has similar specs to the Bold, and the keyboard is more similar to the Bold keyboard than the curve too. If RIM had called it the "Bold flip" nobody would have objected. Its basically a 97x0 bold running OS6 in a different form factor.

It's not like the 8530 curve as much though both of course share similarities since everything that's blackberry phones do.

10-09-11 01:58 PM
    Hold the phone! Pun intended, not sure if I can get another Berry after this morning's disaster. A 149 Galaxy Prevail looks good all of a sudden.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    10-12-11 03:17 PM
    Hold the phone! Pun intended, not sure if I can get another Berry after this morning's disaster. A 149 Galaxy Prevail looks good all of a sudden.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    Maybe, consider however that in the history of RIM, there have been only two worldwide outages. This one, and the one in 2008. Gmail has had several outages in that period, so has Mobile Me (iPhone). If the outages become more common, I'd be concerned, otherwise that's a pretty good record in the industry.
    10-16-11 01:01 AM
    Maybe, consider however that in the history of RIM, there have been only two worldwide outages. This one, and the one in 2008. Gmail has had several outages in that period, so has Mobile Me (iPhone). If the outages become more common, I'd be concerned, otherwise that's a pretty good record in the industry.
    Too late, got an iPhone.
    10-18-11 11:10 PM
    Let me know if that iPhone goes 3 years with only 2 internet outages. It has had more outages than that (mobile me, renamed to iCloud) since its introduction.

10-23-11 03:01 AM
    I prefer the Style over the Curve. Its a newer Blackberry and I really like it.
    I am looking at the very same decision to replace my 8350i. I like the specs of the transform, but don't like sliders at all. Wondering if boost has any plans to add slightly newer blackberries to the lineup.
    10-28-11 06:41 PM
    I am looking at the very same decision to replace my 8350i. I like the specs of the transform, but don't like sliders at all. Wondering if boost has any plans to add slightly newer blackberries to the lineup.
    I think the Transform Ultra is the best pay as you go Droid save the Triumph on Virgin. I hate sliders too but check the specs...all by a leading brand Samsung.
    10-28-11 09:33 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD