Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default would you trade your S2 for a Moto Droid?

since we recently found out that our beloved 9550's are not going to be getting OS6/webkit (even though it was rumored 2 months prior to the S2 release), i have been looking into getting a droid. while scouring craigslist, i found someone willing to straight trade a 2 month old moto droid running android 2.2 for my release day S2. while i wanted to get a Droid X or HTC incredible, this offer would cost me nothing! i have known and loved BB for quite some time now, but the Droid series seems to better fit my needs in a smartphone. my priorities are as follows:

1. messaging (but i don't use BBM)
    2. mobile web browsing
    3. apps
    4. battery life/screen quality
    5. e-mail (but i only use g-mail)
    6. phone calls

based on that, would you make the trade?? i am sure there are some BB only options that i will miss if i switch, but i have never used any other smartphone for more than a few minutes to know what they are. i am not looking to bash RIM or the S2, and i have not decided if the Droid is right for me, i am just asking for some opinions.

*flame suit on*
    8330 -> 9530 -> 9550 -> DROID
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,131 Global Posts

droid lovers will urge u to get the droid

storm lovers will suggest you stay with your BB

check out the phone in a store and see what YOU think of it. who CARES what phone others prefer??
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

I'd make that trade without hesitation.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,291 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FD6DBB

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    droid lovers will urge u to get the droid

storm lovers will suggest you stay with your BB

check out the phone in a store and see what YOU think of it. who CARES what phone others prefer??
    EXACTLY...try the Androids in the store and YOU make the decision.
    Cory
    VZW 9550 OOAKDPC .743/.713
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SolidOrange View Post
    since we recently found out that our beloved 9550's are not going to be getting OS6/webkit (even though it was rumored 2 months prior to the S2 release), i have been looking into getting a droid. while scouring craigslist, i found someone willing to straight trade a 2 month old moto droid running android 2.2 for my release day S2. while i wanted to get a Droid X or HTC incredible, this offer would cost me nothing! i have known and loved BB for quite some time now, but the Droid series seems to better fit my needs in a smartphone. my priorities are as follows:

1. messaging (but i don't use BBM)
    2. mobile web browsing
    3. apps
    4. battery life/screen quality
    5. e-mail (but i only use g-mail)
    6. phone calls

based on that, would you make the trade?? i am sure there are some BB only options that i will miss if i switch, but i have never used any other smartphone for more than a few minutes to know what they are. i am not looking to bash RIM or the S2, and i have not decided if the Droid is right for me, i am just asking for some opinions.

*flame suit on*
    based on your list it's a no brainer. Droid.

BB good at email which you have at #5 and very bad at browsing which you have at #2. Droid has more apps, the rest even out. Between browsing, apps and email, you would fare better with a droid than a s2.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I did what you are thinking of doing for essentially the same reasons - although I got an HTC Eris. Here is my evaluation (some of these may be the device, I'm not sure):

Pro
    - Form Factor - I like the thinner and lighter HTC Eris
    - Web browsing - duh....
    - Customizable Home Screens - you can put shortcuts to dial or text friends/family and shortcuts to web bookmarks right on the home screen Also, you can put just the apps you want on the home screen - heck, the whole thing is infinitely customizable.
    - Apps - many more available, but how much do you really use or want?

Cons:
    - Email - if you use multiple email accounts and they are not gmail or ms exchange, this is a huge drawback. Email updating is very slow (especially with my yahoo mail account) Also, you can't have all your email delivered to 1 inbox and if I delete a yahoo email on my device, it will remain in my yahoo inbox - email alone could send me back to bb
    - keyboard - don't know if it's this device, and I have heard that there are better keyboards out there, but I have tons of wrong keys register - especially when I am trying to type at a decent pace - especially the spacebar.
    - Battery life - it REALLY sucks - even when I'm not doing anything on the device. On my S2, I could go about 1.5 days if I wasn't doing much, on this, I can only get .5 days of minimal activity
    - better integration with FB, twitter, and Itunes - the thing I have discovered is when RIM releases something - it works and works well without a lot of fiddling with various settings. I still haven't been able to get the music player to transfer my itunes playlists to the device, but I really haven't had time to fiddle with it

Maybe it is the device, or maybe it is the fact that I am not a gmail guy, or maybe it is Android, but I am seriously considering going back to BB. BB isn't perfect, the newest, or the hottest, but it WORKS (without a buch of fiddling).

Just my 2 cents from a guy who thought the grass was greener.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

would you trade your S2 for a Moto Droid?

Yes.
    CrackBerry User

Nah, Droids have no style. Something about having the right BB makes a statement as far a phones go. Sure a stationwagon with 4 wheel drive is probably a more logical choice, but its not as sexy as the drop top 2 door coupe

Global Posts
    10,131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SanctiSpiritus View Post
    would you trade your S2 for a Moto Droid?

Yes.
    when? what's stopping you?
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

thanks for the constructive responses guys! i do agree that the droid has nothing on the S2 in the looks department and i have absolutely no plan of using the slide out keyboard because it sucks, lol. i know i will miss my surepress trying to type on the droid screen, but at least the S2 has prepared me for touchscreen input. the form factor/keyboard were the only things keeping me from buying it over the S2 in the first place, but i was assuming we would see webkit on our phones at that point. now that we aren't, i am feeling like the browser on the droid may outweigh the looks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    when? what's stopping you?
    Upgrade eligibility, is what is stopping me.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,967 Global Posts
    PIN
    Only my hairdresser knows for sure!

I think its a win either way for you. I just bought a Droid used for $155 and I'm keeping my S2. That way, I can try out Android, not waste an upgrade on a phone I potentially won't like, and not out of pocket very much money. If I like it, I'll upgrade to a newer Droid later. If I don't, I'll sell it. Win-win.

If you want my honest opinion, I think the S2 is still worth more used. The Droid 2 is out already, and is driving the price of the Droid 1 down. The replacement for the S2 is still a few months away, so it remains higher.
    Romans 1:16 - I'm not ashamed, are you?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
    I think its a win either way for you. I just bought a Droid used for $155 and I'm keeping my S2. That way, I can try out Android, not waste an upgrade on a phone I potentially won't like, and not out of pocket very much money. If I like it, I'll upgrade to a newer Droid later. If I don't, I'll sell it. Win-win.

If you want my honest opinion, I think the S2 is still worth more used. The Droid 2 is out already, and is driving the price of the Droid 1 down. The replacement for the S2 is still a few months away, so it remains higher.
    good point, but i won't be using my upgrade until VZ releases an LTE phone, and by then i feel like either device will be worth very little. once the S2 refresh comes out (which will be before LTE), it will likely be harder to sell an S2 that you cannot update to OS6 than the droid which already features a full web-browser and could still possibly receive future android updates.

i am hoping to meet up with the guy and try the droid out for myself, although i won't be able to use it any longer than i've handled one in the store, which i have found is not nearly enough to decide whether or not you truly like a phone.

again, thanks to everyone for keeping this thread clean! i have seen way too many of these threads turn sour.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Orange, you ignorant ****!

sorry...couldn't resist!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

hmmm...this censors sl()t!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Pres16 View Post
    Orange, you ignorant ****!

sorry...couldn't resist!
    you are a smelly pirate hooker. why don't you go back to your home on ***** island??

it's all good, somebody had to say it!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

hmm, they get wh0re too.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I have had both, but my list is 1..working phone,... thats it, I had the droid for four months could not take it anymore, never worked but it could have just been the user ~_^, but I doubt it being everyone of my friends that has droids are on there 2nd and 3rd one. So I went back to my storm 2.

Every day one of my friends go ZOMG TEH GOOGLE!!!...google does this google does that... *smack*. It gets frustrating listening to it. I just laugh and walk away while he stops and plugs his phone in and complains whatever way you choose dont be that guy (he's one of those if he has it is the best )

Good luck in you're choice

Global Posts
    10,131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeneo View Post
    I have had both, but my list is 1..working phone,... thats it, I had the droid for four months could not take it anymore, never worked but it could have just been the user ~_^, but I doubt it being everyone of my friends that has droids are on there 2nd and 3rd one. So I went back to my storm 2.

Every day one of my friends go ZOMG TEH GOOGLE!!!...google does this google does that... *smack*. It gets frustrating listening to it. I just laugh and walk away while he stops and plugs his phone in and complains whatever way you choose dont be that guy (he's one of those if he has it is the best )

Good luck in you're choice

I bet like me, you want a solid PHONE, rather than a TOY, hence you prefer the Storm.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,805 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?

I would never, ever trade my S2 for the original Moto Droid (gross!), but I might for the Droid Pro!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

well, i took the plunge. i just hope that it doesn't take me nearly as long to get used to as my first BB did, lol.

*flame suit on*
    CrackBerry User

I have been with my S2 for almost a year now and I am glad that I went the way that I did.

My fiance's father was a hardcore BB guy and decided to switch to droid from the S1 (which was possibly a good decision). The guy is now unhappy cause the "spark" of the droid has worn off and he misses his BB, let alone missing out on the S2. I tell him to just wait till the S2refresh comes to town, or get the S4.

I say no to the droid. I agree. The glitz of google wears off quick, and then you are stuck for 16 months.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

I've had both, I traded my Storm 2 about two months ago and haven't looked back. I'm not bashing the Storm 2, it's a decent phone, but I just personally love Google and what they are doing. So for me it had more to do with Facebook sync with contacts/apps/coolness factor/ and well of course, the browser)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Default Going to Give Droid a try

I have put up with the Storm for almost 2 years now. Starting with a Storm 1 and moving to a Storm 2 after going through 6 original Storms (not counting the 2 a Verizon store went though trying to find one that worked) I feel that is more than enough time to give RIM to put out an OS that actually works, and they have failed miserably. And I have no confidence that their 6.0 OS will be any better. If all you want is a handheld e-mail machine, then Blackberry is for you. Or if you are a TechNerd that has the time to cobble together a usable OS, Then Blackberry is for you. But, if you want to use it as a phone or use any apps with it you are going to be disappointed. With both my Storm2 and the Tour I have for work, there is a 50/50 chance that I will actually be able to answer the phone when it rings and be able to communicate with the person on the other end. As far at applications go, if you are having problems and call Verizon, they will even tell you they donít recommend loading apps on the device Ė even if you get them from BB App World. I have finally given up; I ordered my Droid X earlier this week, should ship on 9/10. After reading the reviews and talking with people who owned the original Droid, it seems like this is the device Rim was going for with the Storm but just could not get there.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,830 Global Posts

My Storm 2 is a great phone and does exactly what it's supposed to, but my Droid just does so much more. For a corporate device, RIM is #1, but for an individual's device, the Android platform can't be beat. RIM's primary concern is what a fortune 500 CEO wants his little people to have on their phones, Apple's concern is how much money it can make and Google's concern is what the people want. That's why there are so many angry people on CrackBerry...all it's members are just individuals getting left behind by RIM's corporate business model. I'm not intending to slam RIM (they do a great job in the BES world), just pointing out that they are not interested in what the people on this forum want...a phone that is reasonably up to date with the technological times. I don't think they really even care about OS 6. Are you aware that only 18% of RIMS phones are even running OS 5.x right now? Over 80% are still on 4.5 or lower. They're just tinkering around with the consumer market as it's not where there revenue is derived.
    Semper Fi
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast