Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will the storm 2 have a click screen?

Anybody know if it will? I really hope it does because I'm not a fan of regular touch screens. I've gotten so good with my storm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

There's a ton of threads talking about the Storm 2 and its screen. If you look around this forum for maybe 2 minutes you will find what you are looking for...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aval89 View Post
    Anybody know if it will? I really hope it does because I'm not a fan of regular touch screens. I've gotten so good with my storm.
    RIM would be even crazier than I already think they are, if they ditch the basic screen characteristics of the first Storm. I had one for a week and so did my wife and we both love typing on the Storm. I HATE using the onscreen keyboard of my Touch--too sensitive. Why in the heck Apple can't simply put a few milliseconds delay on the keypad is beyond me. As it stands, it's ridiculously sensitive so I get a lot of extraneous keystrokes. Not so, with the Storm. If RIM goes to a non depressable (sp?) screen, I'll not be buying one.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts

Are you kidding? You've already been told where to look for the answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

I can't wait till that question is answered
    DROID > BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

Well, uh duh...
    CrackBerry Abuser

The problem is that the Storm's click screen is polarizing. I personally hate the click screen. It made the screen feel like a resistive touch screen, which i despise. Yet many others loved it (reminds me of the iphone, many love it and many hate it). If it has a plane jane capacitive touch screen, I will switch to verizon. If not, I'll be getting the Onyx.

But to answer the OP's question: there has been no official announcement, nor a leak as to what the touchscreen on the storm 2 really is.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,491 Global Posts

Answer as of this moment: very few people (if any) who are not bound by NDAs know.

Soloman02, it's interesting that you mention resistive touch screens; I came from a resistive system (LG Dare) and the difference, to me, was night and day. It really is just a matter of personal preference.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I looked at the samsung instinct back in Jan 09 (before I picked up a used 8820) and did not like the resistive touch screen, it was horrible. I then tried a Storm (in store model that worked mind you), and while it was better than the instinct, I did not like it. Since my brother has an iphone, I can compare a true capacitive touchscreen. If it weren't for the fact that apple made the iphone, I'd buy one. But apple did get the touch screen right IMHO.

But like you said, it comes down to personal preference, and mine happens to be for capacitive touch screens like what can be found on the iphone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aval89 View Post
    I personally don't expect any huge changes for the Storm 2 other than WiFi.
    Look at the Tour, no great leap forward.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Soloman02 View Post
    I looked at the samsung instinct back in Jan 09 (before I picked up a used 8820) and did not like the resistive touch screen, it was horrible. I then tried a Storm (in store model that worked mind you), and while it was better than the instinct, I did not like it. Since my brother has an iphone, I can compare a true capacitive touchscreen. If it weren't for the fact that apple made the iphone, I'd buy one. But apple did get the touch screen right IMHO.

But like you said, it comes down to personal preference, and mine happens to be for capacitive touch screens like what can be found on the iphone.
    The Storm screen is capacitive. It just has an additional layer of interface.

You do understand that capacitive has nothing to do with if it clicks down (like the Storm) or not... so saying that Apple got it right because it doesn't click has no baring whatsoever on the principal of capacitive touchscreen technology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hmmm...

I agree with Civic.
    I think you probably mean the iPhones OS... it makes everything run nice and smooth.
    BlackBerry Z30 running BB10.3.1
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,185 Global Posts

Yes it does....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Awesome. I'm hopeful they've really tweaked it for the better this time.

And add some damn inertial scrolling!
    Follow me on Twitter at @techranter

Check out Techranter.com to hear me complain about the latest in the tech world
    CrackBerry Abuser

The Storm has a capacitive screen. Capacitive means that a capacitor uses the electricity in your finger to figure out where the screen is being touched.

In resistive touch screens, pressure is used to determine where the screen is being touched.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I know the storms screen is capacitive, but it felt resistive to me because in order to type I had to make the screen click. The iphone doesn't do that, which is the method I prefer. It just seems like the surepress technology cause polarization amongst people. Some hate it, and some despise it, and very few have an in between opinion.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

YES it will
    DROID > BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,759 Global Posts
    PIN
    3258B6B8

i'm wondering if it will have a multi touch display. If we all remember (and I never eve had a storm), if you click too quickly, you can skip letters because of the spring action that has to be completed between letters. Hopefuly multi touch will be implimented so its not a slow almost 1 letter per second feeling.
    Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say ďAre you gonna drink that?"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Not a fan of regular touch screens either. Hate them.
    CrackBerry Newbie

according to Kevin's video, it clicks when it's on, but not when it is off...
    should VEGETARIANS eat ANIMAL crackers in their lettuce soup?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Uhm the Storm 1's click screen is a complete handicap. It is the only keyboard on any phone/computer/typewriter/calculator touch screen or not, where you have to wait for the up click before you can type the next letter. I can't understand how anyone can like typing like that, it is completely handicapped because of that.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    PIN
    304A36EB

Quote Originally Posted by shveckle View Post
    Uhm the Storm 1's click screen is a complete handicap. It is the only keyboard on any phone/computer/typewriter/calculator touch screen or not, where you have to wait for the up click before you can type the next letter. I can't understand how anyone can like typing like that, it is completely handicapped because of that.
    In your opinion. There are many people who can type very quickly with the Storm's keyboard. I for one love the click screen. No more unwanted clicks. I also have a hard time with the physical keyboards (small keys + big fingers = mashed keys) but to each his own. If the storm 2 did not have some sort of click screen I wouldn't even think about getting it.

Just my Opinion.
    CrackBerry Newbie

maybe so for you, but it is the only keyboard/musical instrument etc, that has a keyboard of any type where you have to wait for an up click before the next letter or note can register. So there is no way that you can type faster then a person who can type on any regular keyboard. You may type the fastest on it then any other keyboard you have tried, but the person who can type fast on an iPhone or a regular full keyboard Blackberry will blow any Storm user away because of that handicap, same with any other phone. If you get the fastest Storm typer and the fastest on any other phone typer they will beat the storm because the Storm has that handicap, it can not potentially be as fast if one has to wait for an up click before typing next letter. There will not be a Storm user that will be the fastest txtr of all phones, because it is impossible. Check any normal keyboard you have, you can hold down the 1st letter and then type the 2nd letter and it will register the 2nd before you lift up the 1st. That is a handicap to me that can not be over come, being that I have typed and played musical instruments all my life, for me that is almost unreasonable. I had the Storm for 8 months and that was the first thing I noticed, I thought it was so obvious that at least a very soon OS update would give the option to be able to write (txt and email) without the click option, while being able to use the click option for other things like clicking on applications and links. But I waited past 2 software updates and then I gave up, I can not believe they don't put that option in. If they never do, then there is no way most of these expert texters who text and email a lot with their cell phones will ever like texting on the STorm with that handicap.
    Last edited by shveckle; 08-03-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast