CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why does roaming drain my battery so fast?

Any time I get more than an hour from home my battery drains at 8-10% per hour even with no use. This is compared to 2-3% an hour with moderate use while not roaming. Anyone know why this is... or more importantly, how to stop it?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

When you're roaming the device is constantly checking for CELL TOWERS. It's not getting any idle time so it'll consistantly drain. That's kind of odd that you're roaming all the time. Call *228 and press 2 to update your satellites. Maybe it'll make your service a little better!
    Last edited by thefever23; 07-16-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    8330 v5.0.0.608

Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant." And I know happy days are around the corner.

Global Posts
    23,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

bad signal strength probably
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat

Global Posts
    23,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by thefever23 View Post
    When you're roaming the device is constantly checking for satellites. It's not getting any idle time so it'll consistantly drain. That's kind of odd that you're roaming all the time. Call *228 and press 2 to update your satellites. Maybe it'll make your service a little better!
    satellites eh?
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...

Perhaps a PRL update would fix your issue. *228 options #2.
    You're battery life will be eaten up very quickly if you're device is constantly trying to find and keep hold of a strong connection.

***EDIT*********
    See, that's what I get for waiting to post my reply while I went to the kitchen!
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-16-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: getting a drink while 4 other replies came in... :)
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    satellites eh?
    Uh, yeah, how about CELL sites. Guess it rhymes with Satellites, lol.
    Taking the world by Storm(2)!
    Unlocked 9550
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    satellites eh?
    I said it can't take it back, haha.
    8330 v5.0.0.608

Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant." And I know happy days are around the corner.

Global Posts
    23,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

atleast we knew what you meant
    ~Matt
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

The weird thing is that I have a strong signal, it is just not from my home tower. I am at the beach right now but it happened to me in charlotte a few weeks ago and I know VZ has good coverage in that area. I'll try *228 and see if it helps though.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SolidOrange View Post
    The weird thing is that I have a strong signal, it is just not from my home tower. I am at the beach right now but it happened to me in charlotte a few weeks ago and I know VZ has good coverage in that area. I'll try *228 and see if it helps though.

Should do the trick it helped me out when I was struggling with service in a few areas around my house. Good luck!
    8330 v5.0.0.608

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Well *228 did not help. As I said earlier, coverage is fine here so I shouldn't be searching for signal even though I am roaming. The only other culprit I can think of is BerryWeather because I have it set to update my GPS location every 30 minutes, but I don't know why that would cause the battery to drain any faster than it does at home.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as this is my only line of communication for the next few days.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...

Good lord. Turn BerryWeather updates to every 2 hours... The weather doesn't change every 30 minutes does it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Well *228 did not help. As I said earlier, coverage is fine here so I shouldn't be searching for signal even though I am roaming. The only other culprit I can think of is BerryWeather because I have it set to update my GPS location every 30 minutes, but I don't know why that would cause the battery to drain any faster than it does at home.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as this is my only line of communication for the next few days.

I would try turning GPS off for a day and see if it goes down any slower.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

I've had Verizon for some time now and I can't think of a time where I've been roaming....... Ever

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I am referring to roaming as using any cell tower other than the ones close to my house as this is when I see a HUGE drop in battery life. Whether or not I am actually "roaming" is irrelevant. As for berryweather, I'll try turning the update interval up to see if it helps but yes, in south carolina the weather can easily change drastically in 30 minutes, lol.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

I remember roaming charges when I had Bell Atlantic-Northeast Plan and went south of Jersey or west of Pennsylvania. With nationwide calling plans isn't roaming obsolete?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

*sigh* forget the word roaming everyone. If I could change the title to "why does being away from home drain my battery so fast" I would, but let's not get hung up on semantics.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

*sigh* forget the word roaming everyone. If I could change the title to "why does being away from home drain my battery so fast" I would, but let's not get hung up on semantics.

Do you live in a cell tower? I don't understand what you mean by away from home.... Are the arrows in the top right corner motioning like when you're using data?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

I mean that at home, or within an hour of where I live my battery will easily last all day with moderate use but whenever I go ANYWHERE else my battery drains 2-3 times faster. This has happened on trips north, south, east, and west of my house. My phone offers no visible indication that anything has changed but there is no doubt that the battery does not last nearly as long. While I am probably not technically "roaming" I cannot come up with any other explanation as to why it is draining so much faster. All opinions are welcome! I really can't explain it any more clearly, but I sincerely hope someone can help me figure it out.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 07-16-2010 at 11:06 PM.