Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. 2xJ
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Volume Up Doesn't Work (Media Player Only)

Hey All,

It's been awhile since I've posted here since I've had my Storm 2 running decently. But it recently developed a new problem that has me on the precipice of going to buy a new phone entirely. I have a half-hour commute (give or take) to work, so I use my BB as an MP3 player and plug it into my adapter for my truck. Two days ago, I discovered that the Volume Up button on the right-side of the phone no longer functions when I'm using the BB media player. Volume down works fine, which of course is problematic since right now the volume is at zero.

I tried a battery pull, to no avail. This made me think it was a hardware issue. But the volume up button works normally in every other function/program/app. Want to raise or lower my speakerphone during a call? Works fine. I downloaded xPlayer to see if it would adjust the volume up and down - works great there too. Googling the problem led to a possible solution of turning key tones on and then off. Well, I get a key tone when I press the volume up button, so clearly the button *works.* I went to a new version of the OS thinking that it might help, but unfortunately, it didn't.

Again, if the button were completely dead, I'd think it were a hardware issue. But the fact that it has stopped functioning in one program only makes me think that it may have something to do with a corrupt file in the media player. Another reason I suspect this is that the phone "remembered" my audio volume (zero) even after I upgraded the OS. So I'm wondering now if there is any way I could clear/delete the media player specifically, or if I should wipe the phone completely and start over with a fresh install?

Like I said, the media playback is probably my primary use for the phone after calls/emails, so it's important. If I can't find a solution, I'm ready to chuck it (I'm well past my scheduled upgrade by about a year and a half), but I do like the Storm2 and would ideally prefer not to drop $200+ on a new phone and VZW contract.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
  2. 2xJ
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

After re-reading this, I should note that when I say corrupt file, I don't mean an .mp3 or an actual media file, I mean some setting or issue with the media player application itself.