Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. wdfly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default upgraded server 2003 to SP2 can't receive email on BIS+OWA

    this might not be the right place for this question but here goes.

    here is what we are experiencing. we have a small business all using BIS service blackberries of various flavors and carriers. out IT guy just upgraded our microsoft server 2003 to R2 last week and once he did that all of our blackberries stopped receiving emails. we can send them without any problems we just cannot receive them. this is using OWA. he's been in our office most of the week on the phone with MS trying to figure out what would have caused this issue but so far has not had any luck at all. is there something special that needs to be set on the server side in R2 for us to be able to receive emails that might not have to have been set before? i am not the most experienced with server 2003 but can pass along any tips, tricks, or mandatory settings to him so we can get our email back up and running.

    owa works fine through a broswer here on the desktop but just can't receive email on the phones.

    one last question, would an invalid security certificate cause this issue? i'm guessing no but it doesn't hurt to ask, when we log in to OWA via a browser we get the message that the cert. is out of date and we can click to continue on to the website and access it normally.
    Last edited by wdfly; 06-07-2010 at 09:10 AM.
  2. John Yester's Avatar
    Retired Superstar

    Posts
    11,289 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,826 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Have you removed then re add the email account on your BIS accounts?


  3. Kamika007z's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Short answer is no to the cert. That would cause rpc over http through outlook issues not on your bb.

    As the previous poster asked, did you re-create a user?

    Battery pull also?

    Log into the bis side for one phone and look at that first. Re-create the accounts on that phone if need be.

    Also, you aren't using bes just bis correct? I just to make sure from the two.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  4. MobileMadness002's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,374 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,534 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B681AED
    #4  

    Default

    Just curious, does OWA still have issues passing through IIS? I remember one time being told that BIS could not traverse through an IIS firewalled server. Something weird like that.
  5. wdfly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    answer for posters 2 and 3 yes i had removed and re-created the mailbox on my phone, and pulled the battery.

    and for user 3 that was correct (BIS only) but i found out late yesterday evening that they have purchased a BES package and will be using that since the IT guy gave up. i would like to continue to explore this to save the company money.
  6. wdfly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    the fact that we could send email and not receive it still leads me to believe that it's either a permissions issue, firewall issue, or some configuration issue on the mail server side.
  7. paintdrinkingpete's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,291 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MobileMadness002 View Post
    Just curious, does OWA still have issues passing through IIS? I remember one time being told that BIS could not traverse through an IIS firewalled server. Something weird like that.
    I think you may be thinking of ISA (and not IIS) server.

    Quote Originally Posted by wdfly View Post
    answer for posters 2 and 3 yes i had removed and re-created the mailbox on my phone, and pulled the battery.

    and for user 3 that was correct (BIS only) but i found out late yesterday evening that they have purchased a BES package and will be using that since the IT guy gave up. i would like to continue to explore this to save the company money.
    Have you considered the new BESX available from RIM? It's 100% free and works quite well if it meets the needs of your organization.
  8. wdfly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaintDrinkingPete View Post
    I think you may be thinking of ISA (and not IIS) server.



    Have you considered the new BESX available from RIM? It's 100% free and works quite well if it meets the needs of your organization.
    AFAIK since we use verizon for our company phones we would still be required to have the BES plan (to access the BESX) instead of the BIS plan and therefore still cost us more, but not quite as much more. i didn't ask if the IT guy used that or the full BES server. i'll find out today.
  9. paintdrinkingpete's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,291 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wdfly View Post
    AFAIK since we use verizon for our company phones we would still be required to have the BES plan (to access the BESX) instead of the BIS plan and therefore still cost us more, but not quite as much more. i didn't ask if the IT guy used that or the full BES server. i'll find out today.
    Ah, gotcha. I forgot that Verizon changes different for BES vs BIS plans. Having said that, I will vouch for BESX's capibility -- I just installed a BESX server a few weeks ago.

Posting Permissions