Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Tired of Verizon BS overcharges!

Ok, I have a BB 9550 and love the phone but hate Verizon. When i add up my bill for the year it comes out to more than one month of rent. I would like an option with another service provider that has great plans, fair coverage, and use the BB 9550. I don't text or talk alot on phone but that's mainly cuz i can't afford it with Verizon. They hit me 3 times with reconnect fees in one month after I had trouble paying bill and extra fees. I've had enough and even considering just using a home phone but wanted to know cheaper options for keeping the 9550. Any help is appreciated.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,679 Global Posts

Prepaid may be the way to go.

Are you out of contract with Verizon? Because if you're not and try to walk away, you'll be hit with an early termination fee. I don't know what VZ's ETF is, but these tend to be hefty pretty much across all carriers.

Now to prepaid options:

1. Since your phone would work best on Verizon's network, VZ prepaid would be the obvious place to start looking. It may not be the cheapest option, especially if you want to keep a data plan (more on that later).

2. Take a look at Page Plus as well. They are a prepaid provider in certain markets that uses VZ's CDMA network and have a "bring your own device" policy. I'm not an expert on CDMA so you'll have to figure out how to make your VZ phone work on PP should you go that route.

Your third prepaid option, and the one I'd recommend the least, is going with a GSM carrier like AT&T. The 9550 is a "world phone" which means when unlocked, you can get GSM service as well. The biggest drawback will be that you'll be stuck on 2G. Moreover, since the 9550 isn't meant to be primarily used on a 2G network, your usage experience may not be as great as it would be on a CDMA carrier.

Data plans: BBs are kinda special in that they require a specific type of data plan (known as BIS) to work. I'm not sure if VZ prepaid or even PP offer BIS plans, but you can certainly count on those counting extra (versus, say, a simple talk and text plan.)

Good luck, and I hope others chime in here as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,014 Global Posts

2. You won't get BlackBerry Data on Page Plus.

To the OP, I'm trying to figure out from your post what/where the "BS overcharges" are?
  4. JNM
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

The 9550 has GSM radios and can be unlocked to work on any GSM carrier. I highly suggest that you consider doing this if you are having trouble keeping up with Verizon's cost. You will find cheaper rates and very comparable service. I switched to Verizon in December and I am disappointed. I thought their service was so much better than it really is. You may find that another carrier is your best bet.
    CrackBerry Addict

In order for folks to offer you help with other carriers, it may help them to know what kind of plan you have with Verizon. Stuff like how many minutes, texts, data (I'd assume unlimited but I won't) and number of lines. If you're comfortable with it, you could also state your monthly bill -it doesn't help to have someone unknowingly suggest an alternative that is more than what you're paying now. Again, this is just a suggestion and I know some folks may not be comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by AnuHome View Post
    Ok, I have a BB 9550 and love the phone but hate Verizon. When i add up my bill for the year it comes out to more than one month of rent. I would like an option with another service provider that has great plans, fair coverage, and use the BB 9550. I don't text or talk alot on phone but that's mainly cuz i can't afford it with Verizon. I'd suggest evaluating what you need on your current plan. Could you do with a mobile hotspot for a tablet or laptop, and a pre-paid cell (or SIM?) from another company? They hit me 3 times with reconnect fees in one month after I had trouble paying bill and extra fees. If you are having trouble with a payment and you know you will be pinching pennies for the next month or two, call Verizon and see if you can work out a payment plan. I've had enough and even considering just using a home phone but wanted to know cheaper options for keeping the 9550. Any help is appreciated.
    Mine in red. Hopefully it'll help you out

If you have multiple lines, Verizon is releasing a Share Everything plan, where you pay an access fee for each device ($30/ea for feature-phones and $40/ea for smartphones IIRC). With the plans, you get unlimited calls and texts for everyone on the plan, BUT you share the data. This plan may not be for everyone, but may be a viable solution for you.

Here's the link to get an idea of pricing: Share Everything Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text with Shared Data.
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; 06-22-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by AnuHome View Post
    Ok, I have a BB 9550 and love the phone but hate Verizon. When i add up my bill for the year it comes out to more than one month of rent. I would like an option with another service provider that has great plans, fair coverage, and use the BB 9550. I don't text or talk alot on phone but that's mainly cuz i can't afford it with Verizon. They hit me 3 times with reconnect fees in one month after I had trouble paying bill and extra fees. I've had enough and even considering just using a home phone but wanted to know cheaper options for keeping the 9550. Any help is appreciated.
    I left Verizon for the exact same reason; consistent (extra) changes and that combined with and even crappier customer service policy I had to say good bye (even with an early termination fee).

Verizon does appear to have the fastest speeds and coverage for most people so you should probably poll your friends/colleagues before making any change but I created a new account with T-Mobile while I still had Verizon so I can compare and (in my area) had the same covered but unfortunatley lost the connection speeds but ultimately decided I would give that up for a lower bill. My T-Mobile account is setup exactly that same (unlimited everything with Blackberry Enterprise Data plan) and my Verizon bill was approx $160.00 total whereas this same plan on T-Mobile is never more than $90.00.

I am not suggesting that switching to T-Mobile is your best solution but thought I would share my experience. I made the switch because I was so angry with Verizon that I was willing to give up the better speeds for lower fees and better customer service.

Personally I believe that Verizon has become just too big to maintain any kind of connection with the end-users and you simply become a number. It almost appears as though they dont care about our experience because they know you cant leave without a rediculous early termination fee.

Anyway, if you want to really send a message, see if you can change to a different provider and if enough people do that maybe they will get the message.

Good luck.

You have a corperate account using BES? how many lines do you have?
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    314f5e87

I'm using Simple Mobile which runs off tmobile servers for $50 no overages, etc. Flat fee and unlimited everything. Look into no contract providers that carry BIS.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,679 Global Posts

FWIW, I would not recommend going with "CDMA phone on a GSM network" as option 1. You may run into problems, especially with BIS provisioning. Read these threads:

Unlocked a 9930. Some questions

Unlocked Verizon 9930 with T-mobile....no host routing tables

This is frustrating, help!? BIS help...

And of course, the best data speed you will get in North America is 2G.
    Last edited by raino; 06-23-2012 at 03:02 PM.