Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Storm 2 & Data Plan

With wi-fi, will Verizon require a data plan with the Storm 2?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    ned to the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Powdah View Post
    Yes they will.
    Don't ask, and we won't tell.
    This is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of Verizon Wireless or its affiliates. Do not consider talking to me a substitute to actually talking to a Verizon representitive, because I often lie. I find it very sad and pathetic that anyone would actually read this far... And to anyone who reads this and thinks its dumb a big middle finger to you.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,140 Global Posts
    PIN
    KY and the Brain. One is a genius the others insane.

Yes all 4 major carriers now require data plan for smartphone activations. BB, Iphone, WINMO, ANDROID, ect.
    Crackberry:Because Real Crack Is Too Expensive.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Don't think Tmo does, but that's beside the point.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Is TMo a major carrier? J/k

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post

LOL!
    IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    ned to the floor

Quote Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post

+111111111111111111
    This is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of Verizon Wireless or its affiliates. Do not consider talking to me a substitute to actually talking to a Verizon representitive, because I often lie. I find it very sad and pathetic that anyone would actually read this far... And to anyone who reads this and thinks its dumb a big middle finger to you.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,140 Global Posts
    PIN

Yes all 4 major carriers including TMO if you get a new phone that is a smartphone must have a data plan now. If you are existing customer without a data plan then you wont have to until you get a new smartphone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Powdah View Post
    Samsung Omnia has been out for almost a year, with wi-fi, and it requires a data plan, not sure why anyone would think adding wi-fi will make the data plan optional....
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    ned to the floor

Yeah then when you're driving... you would be screwed no?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scurvydlicious View Post
    Samsung Omnia has been out for almost a year, with wi-fi, and it requires a data plan, not sure why anyone would think adding wi-fi will make the data plan optional....
    Many people postulated that VZW stripped wifi from their devices to ensure all their smartphone users NEEDED a data plan to access the web.

So, VZW started to require a data plan with all 'Enhanced Multimedia Phones', thus removing the need to keep wifi out of the mix.
    The 11/3 Project I like my flawed logic of a raving madman to be a bit funnier.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikestorm View Post
    Many people postulated that VZW stripped wifi from their devices to ensure all their smartphone users NEEDED a data plan to access the web.

So, VZW started to require a data plan with all 'Enhanced Multimedia Phones', thus removing the need to keep wifi out of the mix.
    Of course that isn't true since there were plenty of VZW Smartphones with Wi-Fi years before their data plan requirement.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Champer View Post
    Don't think Tmo does,
    Unless your grandfathered in T-Mobile requires a data plan for all smart phones. I think they started this year.
    CrackBerry User

Since I have been with VZW using a regular phone, does that mean I am "grandfathered" in and wouldn't need to get a data plan?

Just curious because the VZW rep in the store said I would need to in any case...
    Don in CA

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    331990A0

If you pay attention to the price of the phone it pretty much tells the tale.

Phone with data plan and 2 year contract: $249.99 plus $100.00 mail in rebate.

Phone WITHOUT data plan: 499.99 (I believe NO rebate)

Basically you either buy it with data or you buy it out right.

They get you on the data because it has an early termination fee for the data and the phone... cancel will cost $350.00. $175.00 for data cancel and $175.00 for early termination.

You don't have to have a data plan... You decide!

msblueline
    msblueline: "ms" Does not stand for Ms., Miss., or Mrs. It stands for Mississippi

www.twitter.com/msblueline
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,140 Global Posts
    PIN

You CAN NOT activate a new smartphone on VZW without a data plan end of story. SO even if you have been a customer for 10 years but now you are getting a smartphone you have to get data. Also if you pay 499.00 for the storm 2 no contract if you want it to work on verizon you have to have data. They do have data as low as 19.99 now, but they got rid of the no data option. BBs on VZW have always had data mandatory. And no, Data is a feature so you do not pay 2 early termination fees. You would only pay the one for canceling your line.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    331990A0

Quote Originally Posted by theanswer3 View Post
    You CAN NOT activate a new smartphone on VZW without a data plan end of story. SO even if you have been a customer for 10 years but now you are getting a smartphone you have to get data. Also if you pay 499.00 for the storm 2 no contract if you want it to work on verizon you have to have data. They do have data as low as 19.99 now, but they got rid of the no data option. BBs on VZW have always had data mandatory. And no, Data is a feature so you do not pay 2 early termination fees. You would only pay the one for canceling your line.
    I said to Purchase... one does not need the data plan. But, to activate, yes I would agree, one needs to get a "data" plan.

Now, going back and looking at the prices...

I ask your honor, my last statement be stricken from the record... Objection..., Over_ruled...!

I looked at the prices.

There are NO prices for a down right purchase. It is either with a contract or not at all.

That is what I saw...

I agree with the above, must have data plan...

msblueline
    msblueline: "ms" Does not stand for Ms., Miss., or Mrs. It stands for Mississippi

www.twitter.com/msblueline
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    304BE829

plane and simple you want your phone to work you need data and the cheapest bb data is 29.99$
    ..................Motorola Droid 2.0 no Bis problems here........
    http://twitter.com/moosc