Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 127
  1. Traveling Guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default So if Verizon gets the IPhone next month......

    and I decide to replace my S2, tell me what I can expect using the I Phone 4 versus my S2. For example, do they have as many OS releases as RIM? Would I have app compatibility problems? I only use Berry Weather, Pandora, and Quick Launch.

    Unless Storm 3 ever comes out, my next choice would be the Torch, but I don't see that coming to Verizon and I'm not interested in switching to AT&T.

    One of the reasons I'm still with a BB for the last 4 years is the forum support. Are there I Phone 4 forums too?
  2. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Apple releases about 2-3 updates in a year (roughly). It varies. TODAY, there is an article about the Torch on Verizon, so hang in there. the info is very sketchy (read: unreliable).
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  3. paintdrinkingpete's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,282 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    If you have your heart set on a Verizon iPhone 4 and they release one, then by all means, get it.

    If you'd prefer to stick with BlackBerry, but are just currently fed up with the options available, I'd wait a bit ... I'm guessing that the roll out of LTE will bring some new devices (including BlackBerries) with it.
  4. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaintDrinkingPete View Post
    If you have your heart set on a Verizon iPhone 4 and they release one, then by all means, get it.

    If you'd prefer to stick with BlackBerry, but are just currently fed up with the options available, I'd wait a bit ... I'm guessing that the roll out of LTE will bring some new devices (including BlackBerries) with it.
    the only way there won't be any 4G BB's is if RIM decides to close up shop. I can't imagine them screwing this up. then again....
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  5. corymcnutt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,291 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FD6DBB
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    the only way there won't be any 4G BB's is if RIM decides to close up shop. I can't imagine them screwing this up. then again....
    Dave, you know I was always a BB lover, but it looks more and more like I may jump this summer to Android. I'm glad I bought my S2 over the Droid in 2009, but where Droid seems to have progressed and improved (read that as, polished) their O/S at a very fast rate, RIM seems too content to rush anything. After hearing ML in those videos, their direction and marketing seem mis-guided to me.
    Cory
    VZW 9550 OOAKDPC .743/.713
  6. tack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,175 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    There will most certainly be 4G BB's and probably early 2011. My bet is if the iPhone hits VZW in early 2011, it will not be 4G. Apple will want to release a 4G version in late 2011 or early 2012 to drive upgrades.

    I need a world phone, and I also doubt the iPhone will be a world phone if it hits VZW. BB or Android are the only choices there.

    I think a VZW iPhone would have fewer OS updates, better App compatibility due to how they run the appstore, but no options quite like quicklaunch. Apple keeps the phone quite reliable and does not often break things with OS updates. The trade off is they control options and flexibility with an iron fist. In my experience, things just take more steps on the iPhone. I do think the full keyboard is far superior to type on the iPhone versus Storm2, but I like SureType, which does not exist outside of BB.

    There are some upsides to the iPhone, but if you are a heavy message user, like less in-your-face notifications, want LED notifications, and like quick launch, my guess is you won't love the iPhone in those areas. Web browsing, apps, media, etc are better to me on the iPhone. There are always pro's and con's.

    Good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

    (HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
  7. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    Dave, you know I was always a BB lover, but it looks more and more like I may jump this summer to Android. I'm glad I bought my S2 over the Droid in 2009, but where Droid seems to have progressed and improved (read that as, polished) their O/S at a very fast rate, RIM seems too content to rush anything. After hearing ML in those videos, their direction and marketing seem mis-guided to me.
    I'll probably switch too, unless a new BB device hits before March that blows me away, Cory. ML seems to be a terrible spokesman for RIM, IMO. He's a master of obfuscation. I cringed when I watched him demo the PB and the poor cameraman was TRYING to get a clear shot of the PB, only to be stymied repeatedly by ML's hands waving in front of it, as he gestured. You'd think a CEO (or co-CEO) could do a demo with some thought to a PROFESSIONAL DELIVERY. He's in serious need of training in that dept.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  8. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,030 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Guy View Post
    and I decide to replace my S2, tell me what I can expect using the I Phone 4 versus my S2. For example, do they have as many OS releases as RIM? Would I have app compatibility problems? I only use Berry Weather, Pandora, and Quick Launch.

    Unless Storm 3 ever comes out, my next choice would be the Torch, but I don't see that coming to Verizon and I'm not interested in switching to AT&T.

    One of the reasons I'm still with a BB for the last 4 years is the forum support. Are there I Phone 4 forums too?
    ^^^Getting an IPhone is a breath of fresh air trust me. The only thing you will miss from your storm is it's notification system and BBm....The apps,web, and the HTML email is far superior on the iPhone.
  9. BerryBlack15's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    340 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Verizon has said there won't be any LTE phones out until about mid-2011. I wouldn't count on a 4g BB soon unless they somehow develop a 4g phone which can work on 3g until they flip the switch in summer 2011.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." --Ronald Reagan
  10. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    ^^^Getting an IPhone is a breath of fresh air trust me. The only thing you will miss from your storm is it's notification system and BBm....The apps,web, and the HTML email is far superior on the iPhone.
    There are a number of negatives about the jesus phone, however: 1) connection stability, 2) speaker phone volume is WIMPY 3) fragility, 4)need to sync with "base" installation of iTunes, which to this day, still blows my mind. Apple REALLY NEEDS to stop with the iTunes BS. Managing one's ipods or iphone when one isn't at THE computer that is the "home base" for their itunes installation is a "gotcha". That's probably the single most aggravating thing about all iOS products. I DESPISE ITUNES.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  11. harley1rocker's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    102 Posts
    PIN
    402fcf92
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Guy View Post
    and I decide to replace my S2, tell me what I can expect using the I Phone 4 versus my S2. For example, do they have as many OS releases as RIM? Would I have app compatibility problems? I only use Berry Weather, Pandora, and Quick Launch.

    Unless Storm 3 ever comes out, my next choice would be the Torch, but I don't see that coming to Verizon and I'm not interested in switching to AT&T.

    One of the reasons I'm still with a BB for the last 4 years is the forum support. Are there I Phone 4 forums too?
    iphone on verizon???
    the wind wont pay no mind...
  12. #12  

    Default

    you wont see a LTE BB until QNX is on a BB which wont happen until dual core processors are in a RIM phone. if you connect the dots you are looking at this time next year probably and no sooner
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by:
    Bajanbastard (12-22-2010) 
  13. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,030 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    There are a number of negatives about the jesus phone, however: 1) connection stability, 2) speaker phone volume is WIMPY 3) fragility, 4)need to sync with "base" installation of iTunes, which to this day, still blows my mind. Apple REALLY NEEDS to stop with the iTunes BS. Managing one's ipods or iphone when one isn't at THE computer that is the "home base" for their itunes installation is a "gotcha". That's probably the single most aggravating thing about all iOS products. I DESPISE ITUNES.
    1. Connection Stability? That's with any device
    2. Yeah I agree with BB speakers tend to be louder and crispier
    3. Over the past few years R.I.M's build quality has dropped dramatically (storm,tour,etc...etc)
    4.I been using iTunes since forever so that's not a deal breaker for me at least...
  14. Ultrafied's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,673 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Switched from the Storm to the iPhone. Took a few weeks while I did baby steps but I haven't looked back since. Don't miss the Storm now. With Gmail or MobileMe, email is as fast as BB. Fragile??? Not sure about that, but the iPhone has been in my pocket since I used it full time. I haven't noticed the wimpy speaker phone but if a person is a little hard of hearing because of age, I guess it could be construed as wimpy. If the iPhone come to Verizon, I will consider it but so far, ATT is pretty fast, as in it blows Verizon data away. Phone calls haven't dropped anymore then on Verizon and WiFi is used extensively with the iPhone all over the city.
    Mike
    First Storm - Nov. 23, 2008
    9530 - .328 / 9550 - .713 / 9630 .591 / iPhone iOS4
  15. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,030 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrafied View Post
    Switched from the Storm to the iPhone. Took a few weeks while I did baby steps but I haven't looked back since. Don't miss the Storm now. With Gmail or MobileMe, email is as fast as BB. Fragile??? Not sure about that, but the iPhone has been in my pocket since I used it full time. I haven't noticed the wimpy speaker phone but if a person is a little hard of hearing because of age, I guess it could be construed as wimpy. If the iPhone come to Verizon, I will consider it but so far, ATT is pretty fast, as in it blows Verizon data away. Phone calls haven't dropped anymore then on Verizon and WiFi is used extensively with the iPhone all over the city.
    You can ge push email with gmail by setting the account up as an exchange account...Glad to hear that you are enjoying the iPhone.
  16. iBuilder's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,667 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    There are a number of negatives about the jesus phone, however: 1) connection stability, 2) speaker phone volume is WIMPY 3) fragility, 4)need to sync with "base" installation of iTunes, which to this day, still blows my mind. Apple REALLY NEEDS to stop with the iTunes BS. Managing one's ipods or iphone when one isn't at THE computer that is the "home base" for their itunes installation is a "gotcha". That's probably the single most aggravating thing about all iOS products. I DESPISE ITUNES.
    ITunes is a requirement and it only syncs from one machine? My wife was wanting an iPhone so badly. If that's correct she'll be done and over it inside two weeks.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  17. Krypto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,959 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I'm not sure where this new push for the iphone on Verizon next month is coming from. At best, the info up until now has been largely speculative. It may be announced at CES next month, but that doesn't necessarily mean its coming out next month. Besides, it may come out, then everyone will be regretting it because they want an LTE version which will be out shortly thereafter. I don't know, but I wouldn't rush into the iPhone on Verizon until I knew more.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  18. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    I'm not sure where this new push for the iphone on Verizon next month is coming from. At best, the info up until now has been largely speculative. It may be announced at CES next month, but that doesn't necessarily mean its coming out next month. Besides, it may come out, then everyone will be regretting it because they want an LTE version which will be out shortly thereafter. I don't know, but I wouldn't rush into the iPhone on Verizon until I knew more.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I pray daily to the carrier gods that Verizon doesn't EVER get the infernal Jesus phone. My local VZ is way too busy as is, and I don't want the self-centered iphone-natics clogging up the network with their gaming/streaming activities. It's enough that Verizon is already dealing with a flood of Android phones which also are data hogs.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  19. mahen915's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,075 Posts
    PIN
    Soon :D
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    you wont see a LTE BB until QNX is on a BB which wont happen until dual core processors are in a RIM phone. if you connect the dots you are looking at this time next year probably and no sooner
    I don't know... I have a feeling that, AT BEST, we will see OS6 (perhaps 6.1) run on top of the QNX platform early in the year. This will allow a huge application base to develop between the playbook and the smartphones, while providing a smooth upgrade path to a full fledged QNX (same, but with the UX improvements of TAT). With the ability to develp apps using Javascript, HTML5, etc for both platforms, it would make sense. Now, if this is the right approach or not, that is up to debate.

    This might sound a little unlike RIM, but these are the dots that I have connected.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 12-22-2010 at 10:10 AM.
  20. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    70,474 Posts
    Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    I pray daily to the carrier gods that Verizon doesn't EVER get the infernal Jesus phone. My local VZ is way too busy as is, and I don't want the self-centered iphone-natics clogging up the network with their gaming/streaming activities. It's enough that Verizon is already dealing with a flood of Android phones which also are data hogs.
    I don't understand the carriers they push all these phones that do nothing but use data up the yingyang then tell users to use less data or charge you up the rear for it or tell you to use wifi.

    But I guess if people want it and are willing to pay for it that what you get.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
  21. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,030 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I don't understand the carriers they push all these phones that do nothing but use data up the yingyang then tell users to use less data or charge you up the rear for it or tell you to use wifi.

    But I guess if people want it and are willing to pay for it that what you get.
    Why not push those devices? It's clear that consumers want them, besides with android/Ios you get more bang for your buck......
  22. MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,030 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,062 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    I pray daily to the carrier gods that Verizon doesn't EVER get the infernal Jesus phone. My local VZ is way too busy as is, and I don't want the self-centered iphone-natics clogging up the network with their gaming/streaming activities. It's enough that Verizon is already dealing with a flood of Android phones which also are data hogs.
    lol, you ought to thank the carrier gods that you have more choices on Vzw....The iphone is a great device, vzw users should be able to experience it....
  23. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    BIFF: "McFly, I thought I told you NEVER to come in here"

    I'm still trying to figure out who can put their hand on a hot stove for a minute. Seems to me the more likely time frame would be a second.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  24. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    70,474 Posts
    Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    Why not push those devices? It's clear that consumers want them, besides with android/Ios you get more bang for your buck......
    True on the phones and I'm sure the carriers love it cause it's more pure profit for them when they get used. But don't tell users to use wifi and create a crappy service because it's bogged down and then charge them more for it.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
  25. bb-bandit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    601 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    lol, you ought to thank the carrier gods that you have more choices on Vzw....The iphone is a great device, vzw users should be able to experience it....
    iphone is a nice device. It will be nice to have another choice on VZW. As you said, we should have the option to experience it. Choice is a good thing.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions